Demon’s Souls focused on “core essence” of passionate gamers – Miyazaki

Tuesday, 22nd January 2013 22:00 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Demon’s Souls succeeded because it was designed with core gamers in mind, not to address a marketing checklist, creator Hidetaka Miyazaki has said.

“This game was designed and created to directly focus at the core essence that lies within ‘game lovers’ that commonly exist all around the world, instead of focusing on matching gamer preferences according to markets such as Japan, US, Europe or Asia,” Miyazaki said in response to a question on the PlayStation Blog.

“Creating a game aimed at this sincere element in gamers was one of the policies I have put efforts to maintain throughout the development process.”

From Software’s commitment to its vision is also apparent in another answer, in which Miyazaki says he wouldn’t change anything about Demon’s Souls.

“I do not believe that Demon’s Souls is perfect, but one remarkable thing is that all games have a living aspect and a tendency to fit the generation in which it was born. Demon’s Souls is not an exception,” he said.

“That is why I would like to cherish the Demon’s Souls that has been enjoyed and grown along with the fans. I do have some regret, and points that could have been improved on, but I will keep this in mind for any additional future opportunities.”

Demon’s Souls arrives on the US PlayStation Store this week and its online servers seem set to be maintained for some time yet.

1. monkeygourmet

Well, yeah.

It’s a classic example of what devs can do if they bother to try something daring.

Even that is fizzling out. Really not sure about Dark Souls 2.

I really hope he does a Demon Souls 2 at some point.

Id buy a PS4 for that.

2. Gadzooks!

I really enjoyed Demon Souls. Bought a console just for that one game.

I much preferred Dark Souls though. The connected world made it flow better and gave you a sense of place rather than feeling like you are beating a set of levels.

It’s not that the levels in Demons Souls weren’t a lot of fun. They were lovely environments, fiendishly clever too.

I just hope they don’t forget to honour these ideals when making Dark Souls 2.

3. manamana

Oh god, this sounds not too good for DS2. Because he is so right. Demon Souls is a gamers game and so is Dark Souls. They aren’t flawless but they definitely have ‘it’. Ad then there comes the bosses tossing in a mor broader appeal and more sales. Oh my, same old story. I do hope all the best for Dark Souls 2 although I know its not another Miyazaki game.

….

He still has something in the pipeline that gives me hope for something special, crude and nonconformist.

4. manamana

@Gadzooks especially the clever leveldesign of Dark Souls 2 is a must.

5. monkeygourmet

Me too pretty much, was one of my first PS3 games.

Still one of the best games I’ve played.

I just love the feeling Demon and Dark Souls gives you. Very much like survival horror. Oh the isolation, beautiful.

6. Mike W

No lie, I literally just beat this game on Sunday. The great thing about this game is that they have a new game +, so now I’m going to play thru it again and enjoy killing all of the bosses that killed me so many times. :D

7. monkeygourmet

I STILL haven’t finished it… Blush…

Mind you, I never get a chance to finish many games these days. Still love it though and will go back. Think I’m on the last world (gate) now! :)

8. manamana

@monkey “oh the isolation” wise words. And the way they spinned the multiplayer into this isolation is tremendous. This is the shit.

9. monkeygourmet

:D

Seriously, best game I’ve played.

10. death_489

when will it release in uk store ?. im keeping money for it.

11. monkeygourmet

I thought it was out now?

I thought they had changed the world tendencies too for the occasion?

12. manamana

@10 no. Take your money and buy the black phantom edition!

13. monkeygourmet