Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance demo due next week

Tuesday, 15th January 2013 00:50 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is like no Metal Gear game before it, but check out this new trailer and the upcoming demo, and you may just find yourself looking at that as a good thing.

Konami has announced a demo will arrive on both PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 on January 22, according to Gamespot.

A new trailer accompanied the announcement; check it out below.

The demo takes place in the first chapter; it’s not clear if this refers to the prologue section, in which Raiden appears in his Metal Gear Solid 4 guise, or after he’s switched up into a new cyborg body designed by Platinum Games.

It’s also not apparent whether this is the same taster available bundled with the Zone of the Enders HD Collection, which toured extensively at press and consumer events last year.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is due on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 on February 19 in the US, February 21 in Australia and February 22 in Europe. It’s pretty fucking good.

1. Dark

New Trailer!

#1 1 year ago
  2. Kabby

The game runs at 60fps on Xbox. Something you can’t demonstrate in a youtube video.

#2 1 year ago
  3. monkeygourmet

For reals? Niiiiiice! :)

#3 1 year ago
  4. YoungZer0

@1: Dat writing.

#4 1 year ago
  5. absolutezero

Calling it now this gets 7/10 from most reviewers and they’ll mention the writing, the humour, quirkiness and compare it negatively to DmC.

“Is Japan action gaming still relevant?”

I can see it now. Can’t wait.

EDIT : DING DING DING DING DING DING

#5 1 year ago
  6. Brenna Hillier

Updated with trailer.

#6 1 year ago
  7. tmac2011

man im not gonna be in town to play it and im going to florida during the games release…… i like wolverine origins or w/e ut was i hope hope this game is good. i kno im gonna hate hearing raiden say bulls eyes.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Clupula

I have gone silent on any story details and trailers. I know I love the gameplay. I know that its canon to the Metal Gear storyline.

The only things I need or want to know, going into this. I cannot wait for this game.

#8 1 year ago
  9. RaisinBran

I can’t imagine Raiden parallel parking ;)

But yeah, wow, wow, wow. My only concern is how long this game is. With so much action, it’ll probably clock in at 7-10 hours.

#9 1 year ago
  10. tatsujin

If the demo is the same as the one I played from my ZoE’s collection .. then I’ll put it to you this way. It is NOT a Metal Gear game what so ever. Terrible EVERYTHING. Except the graphics and the story. The gameplay is fucking horrid. Terrible, piece of shit. NOT A METAL GEAR GAME! Not a Metal Gear game …

fucking Kojima screwed this one up when he passed it to those Platinum dipshits.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Telepathic.Geometry

If it’s 7 hours long, that’s just FINE with me. :) Vanquish was only only 4 hours (by all accounts) and I loved every delicious second of it. The Challenge Mode will defo keep you busy forever, and multiple playthroughs using different sets of weapons, different difficulties and different play-styles. It’s all gravy.

Hopefully the cut-scenes are skippable mind. That shit drives me nuts!

#11 1 year ago
  12. Ireland Michael

“It is NOT a Metal Gear game what so ever. NOT A METAL GEAR GAME! Not a Metal Gear game…”

And thank god for that.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Telepathic.Geometry

Hear hear… Nothing against that kinda game mind, but batshit crazy high-speed psycho madness action sword game is more up my alley.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Ireland Michael

That said, something about this trailer has me off.

Took multiple watches for me to figure out what it was, but… a large number of those attack animations appear to have been pulled frame for frame from Bayonetta.

Eh…

#14 1 year ago
  15. mathare92

@10 It’s clearly not meant to be a canonical/traditional Metal Gear game. We’ll get Ground Zeroes soon enough. Enjoy this for what it does well.

@Michael At some point all the action brawlers just tend to blend together into one blurry mess of animation and particle effects :P

#15 1 year ago
  16. Clupula

@15 – Actually, it IS meant to be a canonical Metal Gear game. There’s a Youtube video I posted a while back where representatives from Koji Pro confirm that this, indeed, is canon and takes place after MGS4 in the time line. Platinum were not just able to create their own Raiden game without supervision and story guidance. Yes, they did request that it be set after the other games to give them more freedom, but they were not given total freedom to deviate from what Koji Pro wanted the established canon to become. So, yes, while it is not a traditional game, it does indeed, count as part of the story, which is good because I would not have bought it otherwise.

@10 – I do have to ask if you’ve played MGS4. If you haven’t, then I can understand why you’d say this wasn’t a Metal Gear game. The gameplay is different and it takes place in the future. However, if you did play it, you cannot pretend things like breakdancing Raiden hitting Gekkos with each other didn’t happen. Check out Act 2 of MGS4. It’s established canon that Raiden can do things like that. If there was going to be a game where you could play as cyborg Raiden, regardless of whether or not Platinum were going to be making it, why would you think it would play any different? For him to utilize stealth after his transformation makes no sense when the man can hold back an Arsenal Gear with just his legs.

#16 1 year ago
  17. YoungZer0

@10: Except the graphics and the story? I can’t really speak for the story, but the writing seems to be bad and the voiceacting is way too over the top.

But the graphics? Really? The game looks horrendously bland and ugly.

#17 1 year ago
  18. Ireland Michael

@15 That’s not just it. Some of those animations have been pulled tooth and nail from Bayonetta. They’re not just similar. They are the *exact* same animations.

Am I the only one bothered by this?

#18 1 year ago
  19. YoungZer0

@18: I have not played Bayonetta, because i only have a PS3, so i can’t confirm it. But if they did this then yes, it is a little bit disappointing. We’ve seen it in games like Assassins Creed before, but that was okay, because it was one franchise. This is a completely different game and seeing them reuse the same animation is nothing but lazy.

Also, to be honest, the combat looks a little bit repetitive, i hope i’m wrong.

#19 1 year ago