The Secret World activity up 400% since dropping subscriptions

Thursday, 10th January 2013 21:51 GMT By Brenna Hillier

The Secret World has seen a resurgence of player activity since getting rid of its subscription requirement and adopting a Guild Wars-like content cover charge model.

In a stock notice reported by GamesIndustry, Funcom said activity has jumped by 400% since the subscription requirement was killed off in December.

Although the MMO’s client still commands a hefty cover price, and future DLC will come at a cost, Funcom said it has been joined by “thousands” of new players.

70,000 copies of The Secret World were purchased in the last four weeks, which is a 30% rise in total sales.

Funcom didn’t give hard numbers on revenue, but CEO Ole Schreiner said the game is “building the basis of a very sustainable business” now that it has done some major restructuring.

The Secret World sold poorly at launch, resulting in mass lay-offs at Funcom, including the MMO’s lead designer, and a decision to focus on smaller titles from there on. Funcom tried to stick by subscription fees but admitted it should have made the game more commercially oriented. Nevertheless, Funcom is keen on sticking by the game’s principles.

1. unacomn

Good to hear that it’s selling better. Picked it up last month, enjoying it as much as I was in the trial.
    Sad part about the extra layoffs. But at least they didn’t do it right before Christmas like others have.

2. viralshag

Wasn’t it just in the Steam sales? I probably should have picked it up as I am interested in playing the full final game. I’m just hesitant to put my money down as the beta (yes, I know that’s not always representative of the final game) left a bad taste in my mouth.

3. DSB

@2 I hate myself for taking the bait around release. Really the finished game wasn’t much different from the beta.

Ask yourself whether a few puzzle quests is enough to make you want to buy a horror themed and less vibrant Champions Online.

The answer should always be no :P

4. Hunam

I bought the game just as they dropped the sub and I love it. The first hour or so is very weak, but once you really get into the world and start unlocking skills and building your character it’s really engrossing. The atmosphere goes beyond most MMO’s and the investigation missions are utterly unique and brilliant.

5. NeoSquall

@2 Yes it was in the Steam Sale, but only at 25% off.
    Sadly I couldn’t afford it at the time :(

6. deathm00n

If it was on Steam for my region I would get it, loved the beta, it’s sad my computer can’t handle it very well, so I get huge graphical lags, but without a subscription I could go past the horrible framerate of 15 fps and have some fun

7. TheWulf

And with a far, far more limited character creation system, too, which is a kick in the teeth. The adventure/puzzle elements really aren’t badly. Really, they’re not. But TSW is the purest epithet of why some games should be single-player, and not MMOs.