Second-hand Wii U buyers can re-download past purchases, gamers claim

Friday, 4th January 2013 09:49 GMT By Dave Cook

Wii U digital titles can be re-downloaded free of charge on second-hand consoles, some gamers are claiming. For example, if you buy a preowned Wii U that once had Trine 2 installed, you may be able to download it again at no extra cost.

That’s the claim of gamers over on NeoGAF this morning, as one gamer claimed to have bought a second-hand Wii U to find they could download Trine 2 and Nano Assault Neo for free.

This could be down to downloaded titles being tethered to the Wii U console itself, not the Nintendo Network ID used to buy it in the first instance. If true, the issue could see preowned Wii U buyers raking in free titles.

Also reporting on the issue, Eurogamer explained that the only way to transfer previously-purchased licenses from one Wii U console to another is to send the console to Nintendo itself.

The company has stated that it is prepared to help gamers facing the issue, but it seems a lot of hassle. Either way we’ve asked them for comment on the matter.

What do you think? Should this be fixed asap? Let us know below.

1. JimFear-666

hahaha wow..

#1 1 year ago
  2. polygem

hahaha indeed. this stinks. nintendo needs to fix that. your purchaes should be linked to your nintendo id and not to the console…they should be working on that-right now- if they want to sell digital game versions…and that´s exactly whatthey should want.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Erthazus

Who designed this shit? Console is full of program bugs/holes

#3 1 year ago
  4. Clupula

While I’m sure this is nice for anyone who buys a second-hand Wii U, this is not exactly music to the ears of third party publishers.

#4 1 year ago
  5. FabioPal

And this is a 2013 news, about a feature that looks like it was implemented in 1993…

#5 1 year ago
  6. Fin

Nintendo really have no fucking idea what they’re doing with online/commerce.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Hcw87

Nintendo has been stuck in 1993 for the past 20 years with their Mario and Zelda titles, what else is new.

#7 1 year ago
  8. FabioPal

@4 Actually, it’s not exactly music to the ears of the customers either.

#8 1 year ago
  9. polygem

…well…i wouldn´t say all that. wow. like always. hate. for nothing. people generalizing again like crazy. what´s in the article sucks. true…anything else: miiverse: is fantastic. compared to that xbl and especially psn look 90´s to me for sure. why all this hate for nintendo all the time? it´s ok to criticize but this is overdooming everything nintendo is just pisspoor really. i will never understand this attitude. don´t you guys love games? weren´t there tons and tons of awesome nintendo games in the last few decades? no? yes! you guys should support the shit out of nintendo if you want a strong, breathing gaming culture in general with a variety of top games. the wiiu is a great console. right now as the market is today, it is the most exciting and sexiest one.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Gadzooks!

From what I’ve seen, and based on the few sessions I’ve had on a friends WiiU, the OS was simply not ready to be released at console launch, and even post-patch it’s still not up to scratch.

I’ve gone from ‘pre-ordered’ to ‘getting it launch week’ to ‘needs more games’ to ‘needs a re-think’. The more I play it, the less I want one.

I’ve no problem with the hardware, it’s brilliant. Software and OS have been a bitter disappointment for me though.

If MS reveal a decent tablet-gamepad clone for Nextbox I’ll be skipping WiiU I think, unless it drops to £100 in the next 6 months!

I hate to say it but I fear WiiU will be an exact repeat of the Wii: Massive potential unrealised due to the Japanese having a fundamental lack of understanding of operating systems and user interfaces, combined with a very small percentage of games being of acceptable quality.

#10 1 year ago
  11. polygem

@Gadzooks: “I’ve gone from ‘pre-ordered’ to ‘getting it launch week’ to ‘needs more games’ to ‘needs a re-think’” funny, because for me it was completeley the opposite;)
    i thought it will be like the wii (not that i didn´t like the wii though, but i was sceptical about the tablet, third party support etc). i wanted to skip the wiiu. well, i am glad that i didn´t. it´s a fantastic machine with some great games already. the OS is not an issue at all for me. seriously, sure it could be improved at some point but if not, no problem. works good enough. it´s not the fastest, but it´s not much slower than opening/navigating the blades menu when i press the home button on the 360.
    i think the UI is a massive improvement compared to the wii. it´s slick and clean and easily manageable. it lacks techy cool make up, sure. the eshop looks great too. i adore that the wiiu is just a games console and not trying to be a high end multimedia device. i like that. i really do. the wiiu is about pure gaming and miiverse nailed what online social on a games platform should be, at least for my taste. there are tons of quality games already available at launch. i have that thing a month now and i haven´t even finished half the games i bought for it and i play on the wiiu daily. it´s really hard for me to understand the negativity towards the system because i totally enjoy the shit out of it and ps360 feel like last gen to me. no funny screenshots or weird sonic drawings from some friends…where are we? 2002?

#11 1 year ago
  12. viralshag

I rarely comment on the Ninty articles because I don’t care much for their hardware, games or news but this is pretty stupid and deserving of some criticism.

Every other company gets it, no reason Nintendo should be different.

#12 1 year ago
  13. polygem

sure. absoluteley agree with that…i criticised it myself. i just don´t think that this issue makes the whole console “shit” or “1993″…that´s all.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Fin

Jesus you can really turn any comment section into a cheerleading for Nintendo can’t ya?

Yeah, I think it’s an issue with Japanese developers and UIs – Nintendo essentially made all of the mistakes Sony made when they released the PS3. Microsoft are they only console manufacturer with a consistent reliable, fast, useful UI. Japanese devs also don’t seem to understand online.
    Fingers crossed nextgen will improve.

#14 1 year ago
  15. DrDamn

I’d say Microsoft are they only console manufacturer with a consistent reliable, fast, useful *OS*. Not UI. The 360 dashboard is a horrible UI with a fantastic underlying OS.

I think Wii-U still needs titles which scream *this is what the controller adds*. At the moment some titles are saying it and some are barely whispering it, none are screaming it.

OS wise I really like some parts, there are a lot of kinks to iron out though. The core interface – setting it up how you want – and social interaction/Miiverse in particular are great. Underlying OS, patching, speed etc is poor though.

#15 1 year ago
  16. mistermogul

@9 – I agree mate…

For some reason people just love to hate Nintendo for no apparent reason. They forget all the amazing games and contributions to the industry the company have made over the years (in the process moulding the PS and Xbox we have today) and just write negative comments for every post. It’s really starting to grate on me.

Why these people can’t just support all developers/hardware manufacturers is beyond me. Like you say we all love games so why the hate?

There especially seems to be many Nintendo “haters” here at vg247 which is a shame as the site is good.

Peace :)

#16 1 year ago
  17. Dragon246

Classic ninty with its classic fans who remain classy.
    Ninty should hire someone because certainly dont know what a UI or OS means. And of course, their OS software division needs the boot. Even OSes made by small college groups run better than wiiu lagfest and that too without 1 gb update packages.
    @DrDamn
    MS expertise is to be expected I guess. After all windows remains the most preferred pc os.
    Although XMB has a better UI imo.

#17 1 year ago
  18. Deacon

My New Year’s resolution is to hate less and appreciate more. Not just here but everywhere.

Like #16 & #9 said, just take a breath and stop WANTING and WAITING for everything that isn’t your own beloved console to fail miserably.

Obviously this news is bad, but I suspect Nintendo will fix it ASAP as if left it could prove quite a ball-ache for them.

#18 1 year ago
  19. polygem

@16: 100% sign that. i personally praised the shit out of many sony ip´s here, countless times, i love ratchet and clank and insomniac made some of the most fun videogame weapons ever imho. i love sir dan fortesque, sly cooper and the gang and so on, i am a haloholic and the 360 pad is my fave pad this gen. yes, i like nintendo too, a lot and i post that here. everytime you are excited about nintendo you automatically become a ninty fanboy on this page. nothing else matters. it´s hunting season. there is nothing you can do about it. see this thread again. people post pisspoor bashing comments, i try to make some points. they start calling me a cheerleading fanboy already. it´s just insane. i even criticized nintendo in my first post here. there´s no way around this and now I AM to blame for this AGAIN…fantastic.
    people think they need to be “hardcore”. nintendo is “casual” in their eyes – that´s just an illusion though and couldn´t be less true.
    @fin: i am not “cheerleading”, i criticised nintendo but i also said that not everything is bad about the wii u. what´s wrong with that? isn´t that a good starting point for a discussion, i thought so.
    maybe you should really start to take a look into the mirror and ask yourself why you bash the shit out of them all the time for nothing. it´s ok to criticise if you have something to say. those 1993 references don´t help much in a HARDCORE discussion like this, that´s just “kids stuff”.

#19 1 year ago
  20. polygem

sorry fin that 1993 stuff wasn´t even from you, i´m in a rush and at work atm (lol)…but we know each other…you get my point ;)

#20 1 year ago
  21. polygem

@Deacon: same here. also i really wanted to post less on vg247…now look at me…i will breath in slowly now aaaannnd…*click*

#21 1 year ago
  22. Deacon

@Polygem ; )

It’s the ones that seem to harbour some sort of secret grudge against types of games or game companies that they simply do not like or have no interest in that get my back up. It’s hard not to get involved sometimes, especially when it’s the same people saying the same things every god damn day. If you have no interest in the subject, and no meaningful criticism, then please refrain from some hilarious internet-hero jibe.

If only it were that simple!

#22 1 year ago
  23. polygem

that´s so true! but now. before it happens again. out. *click*

#23 1 year ago
  24. Joe Musashi

This news sounds like the polar opposite of that Sony patent news from yesterday.

JM

#24 1 year ago
  25. FabioPal

@polygem: I’m not being negative toward the console, it just doesn’t make sense to me to be “negative toward a piece of hardware or a brand” (except Apple, but it’s another discussion :p)

You may or you may not agree with my opinion but it is, indeed, an opinion.

The console, the OS, and the games may be awesome, I’ve not tried any by myself, but from what you and others say it probably is, but this “feature” is just ridiculous.

#25 1 year ago
  26. OlderGamer

“Massive potential unrealised due to the Japanese having a fundamental lack of understanding of operating systems and user interfaces, combined with a very small percentage of games being of acceptable quality.”

I think that is what opened the door for MS to get in the game biz to begin with. Compare PS2 to Xboxone. The features on the MS side where robust compared to what Sony offered. And the JPNSE have been chasing MS ever scince.
    —————————————————————————–

I am not making excuses for Nintendo, they have alot of work to do. Just that, it really doesn’t effect me. I bought my system, bought a few games for it, and have been enjoying it. I am getting value for what I bought.

The whole thing is a learning curve. Look at Sony and the PS3/PSN this last gen. I hope they have learned alot over the course of the past few years. Nintendo are going to have their own growing pains.

MS had relivly few issues, I think, because they are a company built on IT services. From OS to Internet, software and hardware, they have already had years of learning.

Anyone that expects Nintendo not to stumble when it comes to WiiU is unrealistic, imo. As far as people that want to hate, enjoy. Your going to have a lot fuel. That is ok by me, because hate or not, I am having a lot of fun playing it instead. I never expected them to be like MS.

#26 1 year ago
  27. polygem

@Fabio: ok then. i get it now. that really makes much more sense. sometimes it just needs a few more words to explain things. now i even agree with you;)

#27 1 year ago
  28. FabioPal

@polygem: Awesome! :)

#28 1 year ago
  29. livewired500

@25 ‘I’m just saying that reading something like “the thing you buy is bound to the console, not your account” sounds like something thought and implemented in the early nineties.’

No, you were right the first time. Games like Mario are just iterations of Mario World. Basically, they haven’t changed Games, Business model, thinking, or anything since N64. Just been one let down after another for decades.

Stuff like this just confirms for people that they should not have bought a system. Or I guess in this case, go for a used one, you could get free games. Wonder if this was a planned feature?

#29 1 year ago
  30. polygem

…sigh…

#30 1 year ago
  31. polygem

@FabioPal: yep!

#31 1 year ago
  32. FabioPal

@29: Well, from a business point of view it worked A LOT.

They’re still making money after “Mario and Zelda” and, as long as somebody buys their products I can’t see why they should change their model as long as the money keep on flowing.

The hard truth is that, maybe, the wind is going to change and people are starting to be fed up by the same old stuff. The mobile world is offering stuff on their way to be on par with the average “Mario and Zelda” for a small fraction of the price.

It’s in Nintendo’s hands and minds to understand that the world is changing and that (imho) they’ve been very lucky with the Wii and that they’re stretching the rope with the WiiU.

The Wii was a clear innovation, it made the “motion control” mainstream and stuff so people were fond to accept the lower specs and picture quality. I just can’t see the same “wow” factor for the WiiU, a second screen, ok, but…

That’s why I’m pretty skeptic about the success of the WiiU, it’s my opinion, as usual, but I hope I’m wrong as I cannot (and don’t even want to) imagine a videogame world without the big N in it.

#32 1 year ago