Metal Gear Rising: Koji-Pro not thinking about Wii U port

Tuesday, 18th December 2012 15:36 GMT By Dave Cook

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance isn’t heading to Wii U any time soon, according to Kojima Productions’ producer Yuji Korekado. Get his quotes below.

Speaking with Eurogamer, Korekado shot down rumours that the game could see a release on Nintendo’s format.

“We aren’t currently thinking about that,” he said. “One of the strongest appeals of the Wii U is the GamePad. However, we’ve constructed Metal Gear Rising so you can fully enjoy the game on the controllers whether it’s on the PS3 or the Xbox. So, currently we aren’t thinking about Metal Gear Rising on the Wii U.”

There you have it. Regardless, would you pay the game on Wii U? Let us know below.

Thanks Nintendo Life.

1. theevilaires

I would play it on the Wii U but I’d get it for the PS3 first and pick up the Wii U version when it got cheaper. The Wii U does bring something different with the controller having a touch screen so i’d hope they could do something cool with that, but still I’d never buy a multiplatform title first on the Wii U at full price.

There will be a Wii U version later down the road I’m sure.

2. OlderGamer

WiiU or bust for me man. I love the system. And am so tired of PS3 and xb360. Plus, WiiU gamepad ftw!

3. Francis O

If it was released on all three systems, I would buy the game for the Wii U cause of MiiVerse. I have a Pro Controller for the Wii U so there shouldn’t be any problems controlling the game just like the PS3 and 360.

4. Clupula

I said a few weeks ago, we’re going to see this more and more with third parties and the Wii U.

Kotaku has an article on how a whopping FORTY TWO people were playing the Wii U Madden online on Sunday during halftime of an NFL game, as opposed to the 32,000 on the 360. The system will not be profitable for third parties and they’re already avoiding it.

Year from now, when the PS4 and Next Box are announced, I can imagine the only games you’ll see for the Wii U will be first party.

5. OrbitMonkey

@4, Agreed. It’ll be the Wii all over again.

6. OlderGamer

Madden is poor example. Plus to comparison is flawed. Look at the user install base of xb360 vs WiiU. Second, EA hasn’t fixed the online portion of Madden for WiiU. It freezes like a mofo. Offline is smooth as glass.

But if all you guys wanna see is “Nintendoz Iza Doomezes”, then by all means.

Really you can’t compare a launch game on a new system to an established platform release of a game that has several years of refinment on said hardware.

But carry on, it could be just like Wii(selling millions, leaving out of touch core gamers scratching their heads).

Here is a comparision. Madden on ps360 costs 60usd, and has 50usd of dlc. On WiiU it costs 50usd, and all of the dlc is included.

7. Dragon246

MG never has a history on ninty platforms, I doubt it will change anytime soon. This game was made for a single screen, its good that they just don’t want to put it just for the sake of doing so.
    Besides, if you don’t own a sony console, you probably aren’t interested in MG anyway.

8. empeethree03

For one, people who are saying Wii U is a failure based on online play are idiots. Most people that get consoles are kids and they won’t be getting then for a majority until Christmas, second all these developers that are saying they don’t want to bring the game to the Wii U because of the gamepad are full of crap. Put the HUD on the gamepad if nothing else. We have the pro controller. To say that is just douch-baggery! I’d be buying it if it came to Wii U, but I’m done with MS and Sony. So guess what, you won’t get my money.

9. OrbitMonkey

Who’s saying the WiiU is doomed? I said it’ll be the Wii all over-again. It’ll be in its own little niche.

10. Clupula

No one said the Wii U is doomed. The first party titles will still sell in the millions. It’s the third parties that will be avoiding it.

And if I were EA, that would tell me to never port my games there, considering how much more the Wii U version offered, but how much less it sold.

11. Clupula

@7 – Well, that’s not entirely true. There’s a bad port of the first MSX Metal Gear game on the NES, there’s an even worse sequel to that, and then there’s a questionable remake of the first MGS title on Gamecube. But otherwise, Nintendo is not where you’d go for Metal Gear titles.

In fact, I’ll say that any of the posters acting butthurt over this, saying, “Oh, I would’ve bought it if it was for the Wii U” are full of shit, because they’re obviously not Metal Gear fans anyway, otherwise, they would have already had the PS360 version pre-ordered.

12. Dragon246

@Clupula
    I meant no one bought ninty platforms to buy mg games, its main catch is the 1st party games.

13. OlderGamer

empee +1

“I said it’ll be the Wii all over-again. It’ll be in its own little niche.”

Thing is it sold way too many units to be called a niche tho. It out sold the other two systems. I don’t think the WiiU gets anywhere near that amount myself. I am guessing between 50% and 60% of that number. In other words more normal sales figures.

14. Clupula

But what we’re saying is that third parties are already jumping ship. No one doubts the first party titles will sell shitloads. But the sales of Madden speak of why there’s no point in third parties porting over their titles, so the third party offerings might dry up even quicker than the Wii’s did.

15. Dragon246

I think a clearer picture will evolve in 6-8 months time, as it stands right now, wiiu isn’t hot for 3rd party devs, and initial signs aren’t good in that regard. Some ninty fans were saying here that ninty purposefully delayed 1st party games to allow 3rd party ones to thrive (completely untrue imo), but if that’s the case, then its certainly not going according to plan. Only 3 games are selling very well, and only one of it is a 3rd party game.
    Till next E3, picture wont be clear. As then we will see if the next-gen titles for ps4/720 support wiiu or not.

16. Clupula

If they do, they’ll be stripped down ports, like the PS2/Wii versions of some early current gen games.

17. Digital Bamboo

A bit of an odd choice by Kojima, considering he said the following about the Pyscho Mantis battle in MGS:

“By having the player set the controller on the floor, and making Mantis move it, I wanted to break out of the game world and have Mantis interact with the player’s environment beyond the confines of the TV monitor.”

Assuming he’s still interested in innovative game design, would the Wii U gamepad not offer the greatest number of possibilities for “interact[ing] with the player’s environment beyond the confines of the TV monitor”? Though I guess, if the game wasn’t designed with the Wii U in mind, then it may be difficult to incorporate such interactions.

Just struck me that Kojima circa 1998 would have been all over a versitile new controller.

18. ps3fanboy

this is the first of many games not coming for the wii-u. we are going to see this more and more with third parties and the wii-u. many developers are already saying they don’t want to bring their games to the wii-u because of the gamepad. so a year from now, when the ps4 and x720 arrive, the only games you will see for the wii-u will be first party and showelwares. it will be the wii all over again.