Streets of Rage: shelved remake footage leaks online

Wednesday, 5th December 2012 12:46 GMT By Dave Cook

Streets of Rage was undergoing the 3D re-make treatment at Scottish developer Ruffian Games. Leaked footage of the cancelled game has been confirmed as real by a member of the Crackdown 2 team, and you can watch it in full below. What do you think?

Spong reports that Ruffian developer Sean Noonan confirmed the clip’s validity over Twitter, and said, “So it seems like one of my previous projects has leaked, as pretty as I remember.”

Is it pretty? You be the judge:

Now, Streets of Rage 2 is my all-time, hands-down, untouchable-so-far favourite game ever created, and I have to admit that there are rumblings of a good thing going on above, but the 3D perspective – well, I’m not so sure.

Who would you like to see create a follow-up to Streets of Rage? Or maybe it’s best left alone? Let us know below.

1. bitsnark

Gotta say, with the exception of the limp retro fan-service at the start, this reminds me a lot more of Fighting Force than SOR :)

2. Dave Cook

@1 bit of trivia here for you: Fighting Force was – at one point – Streets of Rage 4.

Mind blown?

3. bitsnark

Well, they (SEGA) certainly dodged a bullet there!

4. YoungZer0

@2: Mind blown.

5. Mike W

Yea I think it looks great.

6. Dave Cook

@3 Indeed. I actually ran a full SoR fan week on my old blog years ago, got input from tons of fan figures, remake coders and more.

Week of Rage – http://thecbook.wordpress.com/the-week-of-rage/
    Week of Rage: Stage 2 – http://thecbook.wordpress.com/the-week-of-rage-stage-2/

Some links may be dead. It was years ago.

7. silkvg247

So it’s canned? What a waste!

8. GwynbleiddiuM

It looked awful and nothing like SoR series. If there’s a remake it needs to remain a 2D/3D side-scrolling experience.

9. Clupula

You know, it looks exactly like I would want them to make a new Streets of Rage game. I don’t want some forced nostalgia bullshit like Double Dragon Neo. I want it to be a fully viable current gen game, so I like what they did with the graphics and I like what they did with the gameplay.

That said, the main character looks like the most generic character design ever and the boss they showed didn’t look like anything to write home about. I would definitely want them to use Axel and Blaze and the like instead of Die Hard Arcade Man. And it’s nothing without the Yuzo Koshiro soundtrack.

10. Kabby

Good grief. Thank the lord it was canned.

11. BADGABEAR

Does look fighting force-y. Used to love that game.

Also The Bouncer, if anyone remembers that game. Squaresoft I think.

12. Dave Cook

@11 I bought the Bouncer and traded it in the next day. Found it to be dreadful :(

13. Da Man

It looks like that abysmal Final Fight Streetwise game from a few years ago.

14. Gaz Liddon

Not quite shocked but a bit surprised that’s popped up :) Given that I’ve uploaed a video with audio to Vimeo along with a few notes.

Lips are sealed other than unfortunately :)

gaz

Welcome to our brand new Vimeo account and to kick off here are some scenes from a playable prototype. It was something we built very rapidly and represents pre-pre-pre-pre (lots of pres) pre-Alpha quality. Even so it has a certain charm :)

What’s the story behind it all? Like a lot of developers we work on a lot of different prototypes, they’re just not usually shown in public. In this case an older version of the same video was leaked last week which came as a bit of a surprise if I’m honest. As it had no sound I thought there wouldn’t be any harm sharing a version with audio.

Beyond that there’s not a lot more I can say unfortunately :)

Enjoy
    gaz

15. Edo

@14 Thanks for the sound :) ,that intro was sweet and with some polish it could’ve been great.

16. Cobra951

@14:

Thank you for the official (and audible!) response. :) Your video presents a much more complete picture. That could have turned out amazing, and I’m sorry its progress was cut short.

17. xino

very cool!

like the text, animation

needs to be more actiony.
    i still like MK Shaolin Monks:)