007 Legends developer forced to make significant amount of redundancies

Friday, 23rd November 2012 12:14 GMT By Nick Akerman

UPDATED: GoldenEye Reloaded and 007 Legends developer Eurocom is set to be hit by a significant amount of job losses. According to GamesIndustry International, the struggling studio is expected to be reduced in size by the end of the day.

Eurocom is perhaps best known for its work on Activision’s James Bond games. The studio’s most recent title was the poorly received 007 Legends, which boasts its highest Metacritic score of 45% on the Xbox 360.

UPDATE:

Director Hugh Binns has released a statement confirming only 50 Eurocom members will remain at the studio. Focus will also shift towards mobile games in the future.

“Eurocom are undertaking a restructuring which I regret to say has meant we’ve made the majority of our workforce redundant today.”

“This includes many very experienced, talented and highly skilled employees, and we’d like to thank them all for your hard work and efforts.”

“We’ve fought to try and save as many jobs as possible, but the steep decline in demand for console games, culminating in a number of console projects falling through in the last week, left us with no option. Eurocom has retained a core staff of just under 50 employees and will be focusing mainly on mobile opportunities moving forward.”

Our thoughts go out to all of those caught up in the redundancies.

1. SameeR_Fisher

That’s what happens most of the time with Activision’s Studios, these studios should learn that making mediocre titles and releasing them every year won’t keep them in business, they need to be creative, to make something great, they need to get out from under Activision.

Remember when Activision cancelled True Crime Hong Kong, and then Square Enix picked it up, and now Sleeping Dogs is a big hit, it shows how Activision is just focusing on FPS, 007 shouldn’t be a FPS, it should be a TPS IMO, I miss the old days of TPS James Bond titles on the PSOne.

2. Lahanas

Yes, it’s exactly that, the “steep console decline”. Not the fact that they made one of the worst games of the year. Absolutely not.

*facepalm*

3. matirishhh

I don’t get it. They must have been given 12 months to make 007 legends, because Goldeneye was brilliant (on wii)

4. ballz

007 is already 20$ on pc on amazon in less than a month haha

5. Da Man

I miss the old days of TPS James Bond titles on the PSOne.
    Really? I thought those were terrible and miss the days of Goldeneye..

Ooh sorry, it’s a Nintendo game. Guess I really hate Sony :/

6. SameeR_Fisher

@Da Man: well different tastes I think, I grew up playing TPS, and I can’t tolerate FPS with floating hands following other characters.

As for Sony, well tastes again ?!, I grew up playing Atari, Sega, then moved to PSOne, PS2, PS3, and I was never disappointed ((maybe once or twice but nothing major)), I am a Sony consumer, but I am not a fanboy, if I could afford an X360, I would have gotten one, but I can’t, so I stick with PS3, that’s where my friends are, and where the games I like are.

Cheers.

7. Da Man

It’s okay, dude I wasn’t referring to you with the Sony thing.

8. DarkElfa

How can people not see that the extended console life of the 360 and PS3 is indeed having a detrimental effect on the games industry.

9. zinc

^ No. Bad management & outdated business models are to blame. Next-Gen is likely to be the last gen for Sony & MS, how will the devs cope then?

Adapt or die.

10. Old MacDonald

Sad for the people who are let go, but Eurocom isn’t exactly the kind of developer I will miss. They’ve specialized in doing those faceless games that just exists because movies have to get game tie-ins et.c. Now those jobs will be outsourced to China, and we won’t know the difference.

11. Da Man

#11 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubisoft_Shanghai

Did you know chinese can program too? And in many cases better than most japanese (or even european) devs at that.

12. Old MacDonald

12: I don’t understand your point. Yes, I know that the chinese can program. But if you look at most of the games in that list, they’re not Ubisoft Shanghai-products. They’re games that Ubisoft Shanghai did work on. There is a lot of that going on now; the design and foundation is done in the western studios, and then low-cost studios in Asia make a lot of the graphics content et.c.

I don’t mean to say that Chinese devs can’t make splendid games on their own. I mean to say that if you’re a western developer doing contract work for a living, like Eurocom, then you’re in trouble. Because you’re not doing anything the Chinese or whatever can’t do just as well, but cheaper. You’re replaceable, and you’ll be replaced.

13. Da Man

#13

That’s what I meant. (I figured you were downplaying their abilities.)

14. Triggerhappy

TBH after Reloaded I thought the Bond IP was in good hands for once… Then this was announced… I don’t really think it was a good idea for a bond game to begin with. Anyway I feel really bad for anyone who’s lost their job :(