Black Ops 2 streaming service is powered by YouTube

Thursday, 8th November 2012 12:11 GMT By Dave Cook

Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 will feature a range of eSports and expanded theatre functions, including the option to stream matches directly to YouTube. Get all the details below.

The ability to stream Black Ops 2 matches isn’t exactly news, but until now it was unclear how the feature would work and which service provider would be supporting the tech. YouTube has been outed as Activision’s partner, allowing gamers to stream matches directly to the site via PS3 and Xbox 360. The jury is still out on PC and Wii U however.

Treyarch head Mark Lamia said of the announcement, “With our competitive play and eSports initiatives, we wanted to deliver live streaming capabilities built right into Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, because Call of Duty is not only fun and exciting to play, but we believe it will be just as exciting to watch,

“By making the capability of live streaming as accessible as possible to our fans, straight from a player’s console without the need for any additional hardware or sophisticated setups, we are empowering our fans to share their multiplayer experiences.”

It will be an easier method then wrestling with capture cards, drivers and the like, but Activision has also safeguarded itself against unscrupulous use of the game’s streaming function, as well as leaving the door open for streaming to other sites.

A line in Activision’s statement reads that video streaming, “will be subject to limitations and restrictions” and that “additional live stream destinations will be announced in the future.” Users must also have a verified YouTube account to use the streaming service.

YouTube’s Sang Kim, head of game partnerships added, “Our partners are using YouTube Live to bring entertainment, must-see moments and more to millions of people around the world. With Call of Duty: Black Ops II, people can live stream their gameplay directly from the game or watch the best players live on YouTube, which is an awesome next step for the eSports community.”

Thanks Eurogamer.

1. G1GAHURTZ

Watch the imitators all follow…

2. Ireland Michael

Because the PC gaming community totally hasn’t been streaming competitive gaming for, oh… I don’t know… the last half a decade or so.

3. Erthazus

@G1GA, Oh my god. You discovered for yourself STREAMING SERVICE?

Console Gaming+CoD… mm.. yeah.

You could do this shit since QuakeLive, but in reality even before that.

4. viralshag

Good examples of streaming games on a PC… I didn’t realise this was such a “done thing” on the consoles…

5. G1GAHURTZ

@2,3:

Who cares about PC?

Did I mention PC?

Show me a console FPS that does this….

Thought not.

6. Erthazus

“Who cares about PC?”

like the most hardcore CoD playerbase? I can ask you the same question, “Who cares about shitty semi-PC’s under your TV?”

Next, you will probably say that the next gen Call Of duty will have Direct X11 and it’s a groundbreaking achievement.

Get a grip seriously. Your CoD fanboyism is over 9000 already. If outdated semi-PC can’t do it before someone could not mean it’s innovation right now.

P.S. Also, you can stream any game from your Xbox or PS3 to youtube. Just for the info.
    P.S. Starcraft and Quake streams were even before youtube was invented for example.

7. viralshag

There’s a “hardcore CoD playerbase” on the PC?

Funny, I thought CoD was just for the console noobz…

8. G1GAHURTZ

Wow. Surely that has to rank up there with the most ironic statements, ever.

LOOOOOOOOOL!!

I think you’ll find that the most “HARDCORE” CoD players are on 360. Not the measley couple of million that are on PC.

That’s why CoD’s development, marketing, exclusivity deals, etc, are all based on 360.

I’m not even sure if this is possible from any PC game. Maybe it is, but I’ve never seen it.

No external software, no external hardware, no special downloads, video cards or custom setups.

Just put the disc in and turn on the option.

9. DrDamn

You can upload YouTube clips from the PS3 version of Just Cause 2. This is Live Streaming though and a different kettle of fish.

It’s a significant step on a console as – aside from ease of use – it has to have some overhead which they have factored in to all players (whether they use it or not). Any PC solution can simply say “You need X, Y & Z to do this” in order to work around any overhead.

10. CaptPierce

You can also upload little clips of gameplay on Uncharted 3 and the original Black Ops, so this shouldn’t really be new to anyone.

11. G1GAHURTZ

@9:

Yeah, spot on. My feeling is that they will limit everyone to a weekly budget or something, and give the better players more time.

@10:

This is about streaming, not uploading clips. As #9 said, the two are completely different things.

12. Erthazus

“The worlds most detested PC fanboy trying to palm his own label off onto others…

LOOOOOOOOOL!!”

where was PC fanboyism in this thread? I don’t see that.

“Not the PC, where VERY STRANGE individuals trash talk the game for years on end, but still BUY IT and PLAY IT FOR 500 HOURS!”

my last game was MW3 which where I finished just the campaign and played 10+ jours of multiplayer at best.
    I’m not going to buy Black Ops 2 and I won’t be playing it at all.

So what my Black Ops 500 hours have to do with this thread?

“There is NO game on console that you can stream direct to YouTube in-game without needing any other equipment, whatsoever.”

That’s like saying that “There is no game on console that can be played without the TV.”

That “Other equipment” is cheap and you can see hundreds of videos on youtube with Live streams.
    Anyway, that service is not innovation. That was done before so you can pretty much shut up.

“Nobody cares about what stupid ad hoc setup some PC geek thought up 10 years ago.”

and why should anyone on this planet care about the service right now?

So, get off CoD train. It’s painful to watch. Really.

13. G1GAHURTZ

What does your 500 hours have to do with this thread??

In fact, mr PC fanboy.

I have a challenge for you.

If you can’t do that, then you have to admit that CoD has done something innovative, here, by making it no more than a few button presses for anyone to start up a live stream of their own, from within the game.

Something that has not been done before on ALL formats, let alone just console.

14. Erthazus

“Everything, since it pretty much invalidates every single comment that you ever make regarding the subject of CoD, because it is the perfect example of your asinine hypocrisy.”

1) I never said in this thread that i hate CoD

2) I played the game at the time when I had nothing decent to play with.
    Since then, a lot has changed and 500 hours for me is not much for the multiplayer game. Games like Unreal or Battlefield go for x3 hours of that.

“And your PC fanboyism doesn’t need to be in this thread, since you have managed to make ‘PC fanboy’ perfectly synonymous with your username, anyway.”

incorrect sir, someone called me here PS3 fanboy or even Xbox 360 fanboy. LOL.
    People just talk trash really because someone does not agree that I don’t like their favourite format.
    I play most on PC, I hate console format for a lot of reasons, but I have consoles and play them because for some games I have no alternative, but I’m not a fanboy and PC as a platform is not perfect.

“Find me a PC game that allows you to live stream direct to YouTube from an in game menu, with no need for any third party software or hardware, whatsoever.”

QuakeLive.

15. G1GAHURTZ

Tip of the day: When you’ve dug too deep. Stop digging.

And I couldn’t care less if some random new user labels you a Sony fanboy. Everyone who knows you, knows that you’re a PC fanboy.

If you don’t agree with me, start a thread in the forum and ask everyone who they think the biggest PC fanboy is on this site, and see what they say.

I’m shocked that you think otherwise, actually. Whether you actually are or not is another issue, but that’s exactly the reputation that you’ve earned yourself.

And no, Quake Live is wrong.

You need Xsplit at least, and it’s far from a simple setup: http://lfakel.hubpages.com/hub/KBMGaming