Wii U internet browser specs detailed

Saturday, 3rd November 2012 13:18 GMT By Jeff Dunn

Nintendo has officially unveiled the list of specifications for the forthcoming Wii U’s internet browser. Get all the details below.

As detailed over on Nintendo’s official site, the Wii U’s internet will be based on the NetFront Browser engine, the same one that powers the 3DS, Vita, and PlayStation 3. Players will be able to use the browser mid-game, and can also browse the web from their GamePad controllers while watching something else on the TV.

The browser will not be compatible with any plug-ins, which means no Adobe Flash. Saving or uploading images through the web browser will also not be supported. And because the GamePad only supports single-touch inputs, multi-touch features like pinch-to-zoom will not be featured either.

The Wii U’s browser is apparently quite capable of handling HTML5, however, as test results posted over at HTML5test.com (via NintendoLife) give it a rating of 323 + 8 out of a max 515 points, with a higher number meaning better results. That far surpasses current console browsers, and even scores higher than Internet Explorer 10 on PCs.

Expect more details about the Wii U’s online capabilities, including its Miiverse, to be revealed soon.

The Wii U is out November 18 in North America, and on November 30 in Europe.

1. CyberMarco

I can’t understand why they don’t implement Flash…

#1 1 year ago
  2. Lounds

because flash is a load of wank.

#2 1 year ago
  3. CyberMarco

yeah, but it’s on what a big part of the internet runs on…

#3 1 year ago
  4. Lounds

Yes but flash is bad coding, it uses far too much cpu usuage. Yes Flash might be easier to design stuff in but for usability for low powered devices i.e smart phone (which one day will take of the number of computers in the world). Don’t get me wrong flash has it’s place but I feel internet browsing is not one of them, most people use it for advertising more than anything, just look at this site lol.

#4 1 year ago
  5. uomoartificiale

@1 because they would have to pay adobe and open their platform to a possible competitor. Also, they would lose control over the browser as flash would act as a parallel platform inside the wii U. Consider that they don’t want you to upload images through the browser, a flash implementation would completely disrupt any of their control or censorship plan (which could be a good thing if it’s meant to be your kids’ browser of choice).

#5 1 year ago
  6. CyberMarco

I see, but an internet browser without flash is a bit handicapped…

#6 1 year ago
  7. Dragon246

NetFront browser sucks. I hoped both ninty and sony opted for better alternatives next gen, but I guess providing better internet access is not a top priority for them.

#7 1 year ago
  8. DeVitowned

Fuck NetFront. I’d prefer Chrome or, at the very least, Opera. Then again, I browse from PC and smart phone anyway.

#8 1 year ago
  9. OlderGamer

Basicly a console with a browser is just a bonus. And a browser without flash is half of a browser. It is what it is.

#9 1 year ago
  10. DrDamn

Flash for browsing is becoming less and less needed, pushed along nicely by all those iPad owners and Apple’s refusal to support it. PS3 browser is generally a bit poor technically, so using the same base is not great, it’s passable though. More interestingly … “Players will be able to use the browser mid-game” … that’ll be where some of the extra 1Gb of memory is going then. That’ll actually be quite useful for looking things up.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Dragon246

There isn’t any “1gb extra ram” for other purposes. Its available for game devs to use from what has appeared so far, along with its use for gamepad. Its use can be seen in Batman and other games, which benefit from extra ram. Its just made up talk by ninty fans lurking here.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Ireland Michael

Indeed. Flash is largely meaningless now. Even Adobe themselves aren’t all that interested in it anymore.

Any website now that can’t run it’s content without Flash is an outdated website. Especially when it comes to video. It’s only useful on PC.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Dragon246

Netfront is bad even with HTML5, and am speaking from experience. I hope sony and ninty adopt firefox or other popular browsers, but thats not gonna happen because it may open a door for console hacks and piracy.

#13 1 year ago
  14. DrDamn

WiiU has 2GB of RAM in total. 1GB for the games and 1GB for the OS. Both Xbox and PS3 reserve a small amount of their 0.5GB memory for the OS, we are talking 32/50MB. So the extra 1GB I am talking about is the 1GB it has for the OS. This point about being able to use a browser mid game is one of the reasons they reserve so much.

#14 1 year ago
  15. Ireland Michael

@13 I wasn’t even commenting on the quality of the Wii U browser. I couldn’t care less. I already have an Android phone, iPad and PC that do the job just fine.

I’m simply pointing out that Flash is outdated and meaningless. Christ, even Android ditched support for it.

The tablet will be a nice easy way to check stuff up on GameFAQs as you’re playing. I’m never going to use it as a dedicated browser, and I doubt many other people will either.

#15 1 year ago
  16. Telepathic.Geometry

If the Wii U internet browser gave you eye cancer and raped your kids upon start-up I wouldn’t care, I have never used the browser on my PS3 or any other console. I mean, why the fuck would I? That’s the domain of PCs, laptops and iPads…

#16 1 year ago
  17. OrbitMonkey

I love my PS3 browser :-P

I use it less now I have a smartphone, but I still love it.

Fuck all you, with your cupboards full of geeky tech, I’m poor :’(

#17 1 year ago
  18. Dragon246

Is the separation of ram you are talking about official? I never heard of “1gb for games and 1 for os” stuff.
    “This point about being able to use a browser mid game is one of the reasons they reserve so much.”
    Is this also true? I never heard it officially. Would be great if it is, although I have my doubts on this.

#18 1 year ago
  19. monkeygourmet

Yep, officially it was stated the Wii U has 2gb of RAM but only 1gb was to be allocated for games, the other 1gb for the OS and OS features.

also,

“Nintendo also confirmed the browser’s multitasking support with games, so you will be able to “pause a game, launch the browser to search for tips on the game you’re playing, and then re-enter the game right where you left off”, it says.” (from CVG)

It seems their going to be big into people switching between the pad and TV screen smoothly and easily.

Once games start to generate their own communites (Dark Souls would be a good example), this feature could become a killer app for Nintendo.

Im presonally not quite sold on the idea, I tend to have my iPad next to me while gaming for quick checking tips and such.

However, for other people this could be a huge plus. If they link it in seamlessly with your Mii and Miiverse, it could tie up a lot of lose ends that MS and Sony have left dangling with their online structure.

Mainly, ease of use.

#19 1 year ago
  20. DrDamn

Yep – it was when they announced the RAM in the first place.

Agree. This gen was a lot about online gaming, then this has developed into autolog type systems in games with asynchronous gaming and extending out to social networks like Twitter, Facebook and YouTube. What I think we’ll see in new systems is a bit of a reversal, instead of extending out into existing networks bringing communities and features into the system through standard OS features.

Instead of going off to discussion boards to chat about the games you’ll be able to do this directly through the OS and with people on your friends list. Share screengrabs, videos etc.

Also interesting to point out that the Vita OS is already doing a lot of this stuff. Near challenges, friend progress in games visibility which allows for discussion etc.

#20 1 year ago