Dreamfall Chapters, the sequel to The Longest Journey, is happening

Thursday, 1st November 2012 15:41 GMT By Jeff Dunn

Funcom has announced that Dreamfall Chapters, the long-rumored next sequel in the acclaimed The Longest Journey PC adventure series, has entered pre-production.

The next installment in the franchise will be developed by new studio Red Thread Games, which has licensed the IP from Funcom and is being headed by none other than The Longest Journey’s creator, Ragnar Tørnquist.

Dreamfall Chapters will be independently funded and produced.

“I’m very excited to finally have the opportunity to continue the ‘The Longest Journey’ saga,” said Tørnquist. “Ever since we ended ‘Dreamfall’ on a nail-biting cliffhanger, players have been rightfully demanding a sequel, and my deal with Funcom will finally make that possible.

“I’m extremely grateful to Funcom for this unique and exciting opportunity, and I can’t wait to dive back into the universe I helped create more than a decade ago, and continue the story players have been waiting for these past six years.”

Further details about the game or its potential release date were not provided, but Funcom says to expect more info on the sequel “in the coming months.”

1. Erthazus

WoW… That is incredible.

2. Sini

Longest Journey was fantastc, the sequel Dreamfall not so much.

3. Jeff Dunn

@2 True. I’ve updated the beginning there to make it clearer for those who don’t know the series.

4. dizzygear

Bloody hell. Better late than never i suppose

5. TheWulf

Yay! I was hoping this was the route they’d take. The Secret World flopping might have been hard for them, but they needed to figure out that that route wasn’t best for them. Least of all best for Ragnar.

This, on the other hand, I am very, very much looking forward to. (Not to mention that I prefer the story over TSW’s pseudo-conspiracy nonsense.)

6. lucascane

I loved Dreamfall!!!
    Best News Ever!!!

7. Old MacDonald

I liked Dreamfall much more than TLJ. And this is fantastic news. I’ve been so mad at Funcom for just sitting on the franchise, and now finally things are happening (though it’s telling that Ragnar had to start his own studio to get the ball rolling).

8. absolutezero

Best news all year.

Come one Ragnar show them you still got it.