Sons of Anarchy creator asks Rockstar to develop game

Wednesday, 31st October 2012 17:51 GMT By Jeff Dunn

Rockstar may currently have its hands full developing Grand Theft Auto 5, but that hasn’t stopped Sons of Anarchy creator Kurt Sutter from looking to the developer for help with his own project.

As you may know, Sutter has long desired to make a video game version of his popular motorcycle drama. Way back in February, he stated that he was in talks with a “major gaming company” about making the game a reality. In May, he reported that one particular meeting with a “big distributor” had gone “great.”

Since then, though, not much has happened. Just a couple months later, Sutter tweeted that he the aforementioned publisher “blew us off.” He further noted that “games are in decline” and that “it’s very risky” to put out the kind of product he wants these days.

Today, Sutter has reached out to Rockstar for help. Again taking to Twitter, he wrote to Rockstar: “you should make the SOA game. i know it’s an expensive/complicated process, but let’s chat, see if we can make it happen.”

Of course, there’s no indication that a Rockstar-made SoA game is actually going to happen at the moment, especially considering that the developer has already made a motorcycle gang game before in the “The Lost and Damned” expansion for Grand Theft Auto 4. But it’s fun to speculate sometimes, eh?

Thanks, Gamespot.

1. Phoenixblight

No need we have a DLC that is very much like the show. Go sell your IP somewhere else.

2. freedoms_stain

Honestly, I would not recommend GTA4 to anyone interested in playing a game of any description never mind a motorcycle gang game in particular…

3. YoungZer0

A fully-fleshed out DLC for GTA V would be fantastic. An actual reason for me to buy the game.

4. FuriousMachine

Just to nitpick: Kurt Suttner (born 8 August 1936 in Regensburg) is a German music teacher and choir director, whereas Kurt SUTTER is the creator of Sons of Anarchy ;-)

5. Jeff Dunn

@4 Ah! Fixing now. Thanks. I’m blind sometimes.

6. DSB

Eh, I don’t see what Sutter would want with the Housers. Sons of Anarchy actually has a story.

7. soa fan

love the show.. hope they make the game! found the official jackets they make http://www.sonsofanarchyjackets.com

8. Moonwalker1982

Oh….so RDR, the GTA games and the Max Payne games have no story?

Good to know.

9. absolutezero

Max Payne game*

Houser wrote the third. Which was terrible. Shock.

10. Moonwalker1982

Terrible? No way. Not as good as the first two, but that’s kinda hard to do anyway. With everything that happened to Max in 1 and 2…story of MP3 was fine IMO.

11. Maximum Payne

@10 Agree. Its not like he needed to make new cod story.
    Story in max payne 2 was practically done so continuing was really hard for them.

12. absolutezero

IMO it was terrible.

Max Payne 3 felt like treading water, that they wanted to use the character in order to sell the game but had no idea what to do with him. Like they came up with Man on Fire the game first and then shoe-horned Max into the story.

Plus I will forever hate the story for making Max take out his pistol at the start of every single cut-scene and door opening animation, which then directly influences whats left of the actual gameplay.

13. YoungZer0

@10: The story of the Max Payne games were never that good. Sometimes even very absurd.

Max Payne 3, while less absurd was still underwhelming. A mix between Man on Fire and Tropa de Elite. Having that said the last third of Max Payne 3 was really fun. I just wish the whole game would’ve been like that. Instead we have Payne bitching and moaning about how life sucks and how he hates everybody and how he has no motivation to move forward.

I never realized something before playing Max Payne 3, but there is a huge distance between what’s happening and what Max is saying. Max slides down a roof, shoots down a helicopter and a rocket flying towards him, lands inside a house “That was fucking awesome!” is what you’re saying, “Why am i still not dead?” is what Max is saying.

Wait what? Why is he still depressed? Has the guy never had an adrenaline rush or something?

The story of both the GTA games and RDR would never work if the protagonist actually cared. Money shouldn’t be the driving force for a plot. Few people noticed this, but John Marston worked for rapists and mass murderers and he didn’t care. Because whenever something should get serious, Houser sets the tone to light and we’re supposed to laugh about it.

It’s very inconsistent.

Surprisingly enough Max Payne 1 and 2 had Humor and Max Payne 3 had none.

14. DSB

@8 It depends on how far you want to go.

The stories of RDR and GTA IV are both just one big meta task running in the background. One is all about bagging the big bad outlaw, the other is about doing dirtywork for the mob because you’re eastern european, and apparently completely inept at doing anything on your own.

RDR has moments of narrative brilliance in the sidequests, but it’s put together as if a few good pages got mixed in from another writer, doing a completely unrelated story. The good stuff never lasts, it’s never followed up, and it always goes right back to mediocrity, as fast as it came out.

Which isn’t to suggest that Sons of Anarchy is high art. It’s a primitive soap opera that does little more than replace American jetsetters with American bikers, but like any good soap opera, it just keeps throwing punches at you. Moving forward, constantly stimulating you with one crisis on top of another. It flows.

I think that’s good craftsmanship. I think GTA IV and RDR are a sad case of writers that have absolutely no imagination, but still evade the realization that they’re completely incapable of writing an epic.

The redemption of Red Dead Redemption, is that it has a terrible story wrapped in an otherwise great game. GTA IV didn’t.

I consider Max Payne 3 out of category, since they barely even tried to tell a story through the game at all. They just stopped the game every 5 minutes to shove in another one of their little movies.

15. YoungZer0

Oh and you can bet that there are going to be at least 2 new crackheads in GTA V.

Junkie characters are so annoying.

16. JPickford

Isn’t Sons of Anarchy based on Hamlet?

17. Moonwalker1982

@ 13 & 14

I can’t say that i experienced the games like that. I really enjoyed the story in Max Payne 3. And that goes for GTA IV as well, i really cared for the protagonist and i thought the overall story and its characters were awesome. Storywise clearly the best GTA game too.

RDR, again i really cared for the protagonist and i kept rooting for him, one awesome protagonist. I don’t remember if he actually worked for rapists though? Who would that be again? But it just showed that he was willing to work for some rather ‘shady’ people to get to his goal. I actually think alot of people in a real life situation would :D

18. freedoms_stain

Someone cared about Nico Bellic? I refer to him as Nico Bellend, because he’s a Bellend. 99% of the NPC’s I ran across were intolerable too, Particularly the cousin Bellend.

19. viralshag

I’d buy this in a heartbeat. Love SoA.

20. NocturnalB

They already made a Sons of Anarchy game, it was an expansion by the name of The Lost and Damned.

21. DSB

I’m with freedoms_stain on GTA IV. Very few redeeming features once you disregard the tech. I liked Gay Tony a lot more, that was really the only one with some characters that were really worth knowing.

The Lost were really just a bunch of whiny babies. If Sons of Anarchy is the Dynasty of biker drama, then The Lost and the Damned has to be 90210.

@17 Why was it good, though?

I greatly enjoyed the gameplay in RDR, but it didn’t make me like the story one bit.

22. YoungZer0

@17: The Mexican government. That’s the huge turning point of the story. You see, when Marston was in America, he had no choice. He had to work for the government, because they had his family. The goal was clear and he worked with a few annoying shitfucks to get to his former gang members. Nothing wrong about that, they were just shitfucks and nothing else.

But then he went to Mexico and choose to work for the government, when they clearly killed innocent people and kidnapped women, dragging them off-screen with clear intentions. Marston saw that, didn’t like it, gives a sarcastic comment, showing that he’s not afraid, yet still worked for them. What a whore.

This is when Marston had a choice. He worked for the Mex-Gov, because they said they could help him. He could’ve chosen to work for the rebels only, or to get his information somewhere else, but he didn’t. That’s what makes him an ugly character. Most Houser Character are pretty ugly.

I think the ending of RDR redeemed him, but before that, oh boy. I caught myself so many times cursing at the questionable decisions of Marston. It nearly ruined the game for me. On the second go i had to skip nearly every cutscene. I didn’t pity him for one bit when he was betrayed. Served that idiot right.

I wouldn’t complain about it if the gameplay wouldn’t allow you to be a good guy, but it does. Just like in Max Payne 3, there’s a huge contrast between gameplay and story.

23. OrbitMonkey

I love how Rockstar have somehow got the badge for mature games, they make adolescent gangster sims for fucks sake.

Actually that’s probably a good fit for whats wanted for a Sons of Anarchy game, next up a Shades of Grey by Bioware.

24. LuLshuck

@23 fucking LULed at dat

25. Moonwalker1982

It’s been awhile since i played it, but i honestly don’t really recall that he fully knew that they were rapists and what not. But you say he did, i guess i must replay it again. What i do know is that he eventually turned against them, i don’t know for what exact reason from the top of my head though.

As for GTA IV.

I really digged Niko yeah. He could be an asshole that didn’t give a shit but could also be caring. Check out this cutscene man, i personally found this one very powerful.

26. freedoms_stain

@25, that scene just makes me think he’s a bellend. He’s a guy who recognises that he does bad things and continues to do bad things with little or no real motivation in them. John Marston at least had the family angle in RDR, everything is a means to an end. With Nico Bellic I gave up on the game because a) I found any part of the game where I had to move on foot or fire a weapon painfully unfun and b) I couldn’t find enough in the story to care about getting to the end of it.