Darksiders II struggling to break even

Tuesday, 30th October 2012 19:39 GMT By Jeff Dunn

Despite topping the US retail sales charts back in August, it would appear that Darksiders II is struggling to reach the 2 million sales needed for publisher THQ to break even on the product.

GamesIndustry is reporting that, according to ever-present industry analyst Michael Pachter, the title has “probably” sold over a million copies. Considering about 250,000 of those copies were sold in its first month alone, it appears that the action title has failed to gain enough traction to reach the magic 2 million number. Obviously, that isn’t the kind of news THQ would like to hear.

“Darksiders II’s performance and a history of game delays and cancelations leaves us skeptical that THQ can successfully execute its turnaround strategy, which centers on a streamlined release slate,” said Pachter.

While the publisher has been generally successful earnings-wise as of late, it remains to be seen how the latest Darksiders’ apparent struggles will affect the company’s overall strategy.

1. Greek God

aww man not good

2. ballz

just release a saints row per year and problems solved

3. YoungZer0

One of the few games that i just stopped playing because it got boring.

4. SameeR_Fisher

This is the one of the most amazing games I ever played, I really hope THQ doesn’t give up on it, it is amazing per word, I love it.

I used to like games like Devil May Cry, God of War, and technically any hack n slash /// Adventure game, but no more, I am only interested in 2 series Castlevnia Lords of Shadow and Darksiders, these 2 keep me busy for as long as I want, every other title pale in comparison.

5. KAP

Loved the first one and bought this as soon as it came out… traded it in a few days later.

AC3 on the other hand is the game I cant wait to playthru because it has both.

6. SplatteredHouse

After them having worked on it a long time, announced the sequel really early, maybe, but to see this kind of story for one of the games that now finds itself responsible for keeping the pub afloat is not good.

I started playing this right after a playthrough of the first game. The level layout second time round is fantastic, and the visuals and audio are very well built. But I do have to agree with KAP, in that even with moving directly from DS into its sequel, it seems like the narrative is overstretched thin to the point that you have just the one goal, but SO much needing doing before you get there, that you really just walk into, or that an NPC will offer a quest to do.

Death’s all about redeeming War…absolve him of the result of the first game – and that’s all. It’s different, interesting. But, at the same time causes the means to an end to lack all that much structure.

7. YoungZer0

@5: “Just felt like there was no context what so ever to you doing a fetch quest within a fetch quest ever so often, they added alot of game but hardly any story so I got bored.”

Exactly the problem i had with the game. They really seemed to love the #3.

8. DSB

I never really saw a point to Darksiders, but if this proves true, how on earth are THQ still hanging on?

9. SplatteredHouse

@8: With the announcementS today, I have to believe increasingly precariously.

“I never really saw a point to Darksiders” Why’s that? I consider it fairly artistic with what it does, over the gameplay it provides. It has substance in the styles employed, the designs, the audio selection is good (it’s one of the few cases where I looked up the soundtrack following a game session) I think it has a quite strong point to make for existing.

10. OlderGamer

I hope to get my copy this holiday, not too sure what platform tho. Maybe it will do well on WiiU?

11. DSB

@9 I haven’t played the second one, but there was very little about the first one that struck me as unique in any way.

Not that everything has to be groundbreaking, but it was such a me-too effort that all the artwork and all the audio in all of the world couldn’t distract me from the fact that I’d already been there, and played that.

All it did was make me want to play actual Zelda or actual God of War, instead of THQs cartoony cut and paste job of the same.

12. Cobra951

I would have bought this game near the release date if I had not been scared away by the reports of serious technical issues. I really wanted this, but I was not about to drop $60 on something that even some mainstream reviews were exposing as crash-prone. When the code is so bad that busy reviewers can’t help but notice, I want no part of it. The first game never did get a fix for the occasional hard freezing in the Xbox version. It’s a huge shame.

13. robincolon8

just as Keith said I cant believe that you able to profit $7422 in 1 month on the computer. did you look at this page..http://1st.ly/4ecrl

14. voxelman

It’s such a pity that DS2 lacked the polish needed to be truly great. There were some great things in that game but the game just seemed to lack a bit of direction and the end was pretty poor. The scope of the game exceeded their ability to execute it.

It’s really a shame that we likely won’t ever see a true sequel with a continuation of the story.

15. NocturnalB

That sucks, I’ve loved the Darksiders series so far, would hate to see them go under.

16. Custard Ganet

Bye bye to the Darksider’s series i guess

17. Telepathic.Geometry

Man, this breaks my heart. I really like this game, the voice-acting the combat, the puzzles, the secrets, the beautiful environments, it’s really my cup of tea!

And I really wanted it to do well. I can only hope that such a Zelda-ish game will do well on Wii U, and make their 2,000,000 target.

18. Gadzooks!

Well I thought DS2 was nigh-on perfect.

It has all the things I love in gaming: Great puzzles, great combat, perfect pacing, loot, loot, more loot, levelling, great characters and dialog, and the ability to revisit dungeons to find the many secret areas.

It was technically very strong too. A bit of tearing, but amazing artwork and enormous scope.

It deserved to sell much better than this.

What galls me more is how shallow linear scripted garbage like God of War continues to sell when DS does it so much better and with epic scope and flexibility.