Nintendo will “continue to carry out on-site inspections” of production partners after Foxconn used underage workers

Wednesday, 24th October 2012 21:23 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Nintendo of America’s senior director of corporate communications, Charlie Scibetta, has issued a statement regarding Nintendo’s investigation into underage laborers working at and assembly plant in China.

According to a statement Scibetta gave Kotaku, Nintendo was “concerned to learn that underage individuals” had been working at a Foxconn facility.

“Nintendo investigated the incident and determined that this was a violation of the Nintendo Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) Procurement Guidelines that all Nintendo production partners are required to follow, based on relevant laws, international standards and guidelines,” said Scibetta.

“Foxconn has taken full responsibility for this incident and has moved quickly to ensure that all affected individuals no longer work at Foxconn. In fact, Foxconn’s own policies prohibit the employment of underage individuals and the company has pledged to Nintendo via direct communications to improve its process of enforcing this policy to avoid any similar issues in the future.

“As one of many companies that work with Foxconn to enhance CSR along the whole supply chain, we take this issue very seriously. As part of our ongoing procurement process, Nintendo staff will continue to carry out on-site inspections of our production partners in order to understand the actual on-site conditions and to promote socially responsible procurement.”

Foxconn admitted last week it had used workers as young as 14 at its factory when the legal working age in China is 16.

“Our investigation has shown that the interns in question, who ranged in age from 14 to 16, had worked in that campus for approximately three weeks,” Foxconn told Reuters. “It is a violation of Foxconn policy and immediate steps have been taken to return the interns in question to their educational institutions.”

1. xino

who are they kidding!

if Nintendo are a legit company, they wouldn’t have gone to Foxconn whose reputation has to do with illegal crimes and law breaking.

they went to foxconn to produce Wii U in time for Christmas.

all for money.

many things in the shops and market are all created by human suffering!
    The big corporation wouldn’t tell us this, because if we know we wouldn’t buy their products

2. Beta

I would rather see you disown Foxconn Nintendo.

Never read a good story about them.

@1 Indeed! The clothes I’m wearing right now were probably made by an underpaid “worker”.

3. Ireland Michael

@1 Better throw away every console or PC you own then…

4. Dragon246

Not really, I know the dell products in my country are made here and without any violations.
    And I dont live in china,HK.

5. Da Man

^grunt246 might want to post a link saying your computer was manufactured in India, since Dell ones are being assembled at Foxconn too.

6. sh4dow

First of all – it is a really lazy argument to say “Well, if you don’t like that, you also shouldn’t [...]“. Just because you sit on your lazy, spoiled ass and don’t let your choices be influenced by anything like a moral conscience whatsoever doesn’t make it right to justify that pathetic behavior by acting as if those who at least TRY to avoid SOME evils do nothing at all.

Because if you take that argument of “otherwise you may as well do nothing” to the extreme, of course all people would have to kill themselves. Which is just as stupid as not going quite that far with the argument.

As for Nintendo… and then there was also: this.
    One may not be able to lead a life without hurting anybody else but one can at least try to reduce the damage. By for instance avoiding companies of which one KNOWS that they engage in exploitative business practices (or at least has some evidence that would indicate it – like with Nintendo here).

7. Ireland Michael

@6 Did I really just get accused of not having a moral conscience?

Hahahahahaha!

8. viralshag

I would agree.

I totally get the impression Michael is void of any morality…

9. Ireland Michael

@8 Ouch.

10. viralshag

@9, Sarcasm… Your problem (or at least my problem) is you sometimes have too much of a moral conscience. ;)

You can see that in any of the feminism or LGBT articles on here as to where we clash in opinions. :)

11. Ireland Michael

@10 Yeah, you’re definitely not the first one to tell me that.

Personally, I think it’s something to be proud of.

12. viralshag

@11, I’m not saying it’s not. I just don’t have as much of one. I like to weigh it all up, often playing devils advocate if I have to.

13. OrbitMonkey

It’s wise to be wary of the morally superior… I mean look at Hitler! Vegan with a strong moral conviction!

Obviously this is a extreme example… But if I read that a videogame blogger has decided to invade Poland…

14. OlderGamer

Can’t win, and there is no high road here. Yes it sucks. But it is the way the world works today. These tech devices are made where they are because of the low cost. And the reasons are many, but mostly the reasons for the lower costs is because the lack of a high standard of pay/health bennies. Sure china deflats it currency internationaly and that adds to the mixture, but the fact that china has near slave like labour is what drives their economy. And in some sense of it, also drives more then a few western ones too.

I use so many things made in other nations it makes me sick, esp with 10%+ unemployment in my own nation. Do I not buy a Phone? If a TV breaks, do I not replace it? Do I not play video games on a Console or a PC? Do you, will you? Do I not shop at my local malls for clothes because those too aren’t made in my nation(many of my cloths are made in indonesia, pakastan, chine, or other low labour cost nation).

The real power to change things doesn’t lay in our hands(I know it seems like it should), but things are on the shoulders of the govs. Hell in the states we have a our pres elections coming, but both our presidental canidates have over seas biz investments. What isn’t right about that picture? Lots. And it is telling.

I am not advocating isolationism, but saying if your going to have international trade it needs to be fair. China doesn’t practice fair trade practices, and just one facet of that is ofc its labour/workforce treatment.

And what can you or I do about any of that? And more importantly would you personaly be willing to cary out that course of action?