iPad Mini, fourth generation iPad announced by Apple

Tuesday, 23rd October 2012 18:53 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

iPad Mini and a fourth generation iPad was announced by Apple SVP of global marketing Phil Schiller today during the firm’s event. The mini tablet is finally a “real thing” after all the rumor mongering these last few months.

iPad Mini and iPad 4

You can hold it easily in one hand, it’s 7.2mm thick, which is 1/4 thicker than the fourth-gen iPad and “thin as a pencil,” according to Engadget. It weighs .68 pounds and sports a 1024 x 768 resolution which is the same as iPad 2. It also has a .9 inch increase diagonally, which provides 35% more display area on the tablet.

The iPad mini comes with a dual-core A5 processor, FaceTime HD camera 5-megapixel iSight camera on the back, 1080p recording, LTE wireless, new dual-band 802.11a/b/g/n WiFi, a new SmartCover, and a Lightning connector.

iPad mini will run you $329 for the 16GB WiFi version, and the 32GB Mini is $429 and the 64GB is $519. It will run you an extra $130 each for LTE connectivity. UK pricing can be found through Eurogamer.

A fourth generation iPad was also announced with 802.11a/b/g/n dual-band WiFi, Lightning connector, LTE for “greatly expanded coverage,” 720p Facetime Camera, the image signal processor in the iPhone 5, 10 hours of battery life, doubles the CPU and graphics performance, an A6X processor.

It contains the new Retnia display, ans comes in Black and white versions. The 16GB WiFi model will run you $499 and cellular model starts at $629.

The 100 millionth iPad was sold two weeks ago. That’s 100 million products in just two and a half years.

“We sold more iPads in the June quarter than any PC maker sold of their entire lineup,” said Apple CEO Tim Cook. “With 100 million sold in just two and a half years, we couldn’t be more thrilled with how quickly iPad has been embraced by so many users for so many different things.”

iPad mini and and iPad 4 can be pre ordered on the October 26 with WiFi versions shipping on November 2. Cellular versions will start shipping two weeks later.

iPad 2 now starts at $399.

To see how the new mini stacks up against its competition, have a look at this chart over on Engadget (thanks, GIGA).

“Return of the Mac, you knew I’d be back”

The firm also announced there are 160 million Game Center accounts and over 35 million apps have been downloaded from the App Store with over $6.5 billion paid out to developers.

Cook also said during his keynote that the Mac market has out-grown the PC market by 7 times, and has surpassed the PC market for six years in a row.

He said the firm is pleased with Mac’s “momentum” and the firm plans to continue innovating with some “really great stuff to show” during the event.

A new 20% thinner, 3.5 pound 13-inch MacBook Pro with 2560 x 1600 resolution and Retina display was introduced. It contains up to 768GB of flash, 8GB of RAM, Core i5 or i7 Ivy Bridge chips, 802.11n WiFi and Bluetooth 4. HD 4000 graphics with up to 7 hours of battery life. It will start shipping today.

The firm also announced a new iMac which is 5mm thin at the edges with no optical drive and “re-engineered” internal components. The display is i two flavors: 21.5-inch and 27-inch. 1920 x 1080 and 2560 x 1440 for the two sizes. It contains a 720p FaceTime HD camera, dual mics and speakers and weighs eight pounds less than the previous model.

Customers can choose the Core i5 or i7 processor, it contains NVIDIA Kepler graphics, up to 768GB of flash or 3TB HDD, and 32GB of RAM with four USB 3.0 ports, three Thunderbolt ports and choose either a Fusion Drive which contains 128GB of flash storage mixed with 1GB or a 3GB HDD.

For those “still stuck in the past we do offer an external optical drive,” said SVP of global marketing Phil Schiller . The base price is $1,299 with a 2.7GHz i5 with 1TB HDD and 8GB of RAM and will ship in November.

A 27-inch model starts with a 2.9GHz i5, 8GB of RAM and 1TB HDD for $1,799, and will start shipping in December.

1. Ali

0 interest. Can’t wait for the whole Apple fashion to fade away.

I hate my iPad even though it is a gift. That’s the bad part of it, it is not polite to sell a gift.

2. Christopher Jack

Awful resolution for a company that’s pushing ‘retina’ displays to all their other products. The 4″ iPhone 5 has a similar resolution.

3. Da Man

iPad Mini is unnecessary and uncalled for, same as those >4 inch smartphones.

It’s ugly and lame.

4. G1GAHURTZ

So it existed after all…

The internet seems to be dissing the resolution, big style!

5. monkeygourmet

Im using my trusty iPad 2 now!

Nothing wrong with the res for me… In fact, any higher res at this distance would fry my eyeballs, I already have the brightness turned way down! :)

Was looking into getting a Nexus for my girlfriend but this now seems a better bet, especially as she’ll be able to sync all the apps from her iPhone.

Any word on UK pricing yet?

6. G1GAHURTZ

^ THE ENTIRE WORLD is ‘higher res’ than 1024×768!

LOL!

7. Ireland Michael

Yeah, the mini is definitely a weak offering. I would expect a lot more for that price.

Way too soon for an iPad 4.

8. Patrick Garratt

Can’t wait for iPad 5.

9. Erthazus

A6X graphics card – definitely XBOX 360 and PS3 performance.

10. G1GAHURTZ

@8: I’m sure you won’t have to wait long…

___________________

This chart is ridiculous: http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/23/the-ipad-mini-vs-the-competition-specs/

11. Goffee

Can’t thing of a single game that uses the power of the iPad 3, so why double the GPU power again? Pointless, Apple is building it, but games devs ain’t coming.

12. monkeygourmet

iPad 4?!

That is a bit mental!

What do you mean? iPad 2 is awesome for browsing and light media use / games.

I just use my tv for anything else.

13. monkeygourmet

And developers all used to working with the same benchmark, unlike android.

Should get some amazing looking games.

Games devs ain’t coming?!

Apple doesn’t even need them yet!

14. Christopher Jack

The way they compared it to the significantly cheaper Nexus 7 was kinda pathetic but expected. Claiming that 4:3 is better than widescreen at anything reminded me of the end of the CRT era. The main reason I’ve never really considered an iPad. One of it’s primary purposes is media consumption but how can you enjoy such an aspect ratio when viewing any video from the past 10 years.

15. Patrick Garratt

@10 – Yeah. It’s just cash-in central, seemingly.

From a gaming perspective, I’m really not sure where iOS is going at the moment. They’ve clearly got major problems in terms of discoverability on the App Store, and the hardware’s not innovating. They’ve cornered “mobile games,” obviously, but there was a chance there of a strong core component appearing. Can’t see it happening right now. There’s some good core stuff on it, but it’s such a different market that I think there’s too much risk for many to commit large budgets. I mean, it’s demonstrable: there are no core “smashes”.

16. Stephany Nunneley

@10 Thanks for that link there GIGA, I’ll add it in the post.

17. Moonwalker1982

WTF…now they go mini again? The Ipad is a oversized Ipod touch anyway, why?

18. Ireland Michael

@17 It’s supposed to be a “cheaper” option for those who don’t have the standard iPad, but it’s way too expensive for such weak specs. considering the combination.

The 7 / 8 inch tablets are a great form factor though. They fit very comfortably in your hand, something which the 10 inch tablets don’t.

19. Patrick Garratt

I mean, yeah, there’s Infinity Blade, Real Racing, etc, but it’s nowhere near enough.

20. Ireland Michael

@19 Discoverability in the Apple Store is a damn sight better than it is on the Android format. Anything in the top 100 can easily be considered a success on the Apple Store. Nothing sells well on Google Play though… mainly because the Android platform is full of rampant piracy.

The mobile format isn’t about core experiences anyway. The whole point is that it’s something you can pull out, do on a bus for five minutes, and turn off at your convenience. Pick up and play gaming.

Games on the mobile format adapted to the needs of the format. There will never be a “hardcore” market on the platform, but there doesn’t need to be. That’s what we have our PCs, consoles and handhelds for.

21. Dragon246

“For those “still stuck in the past we do offer an external optical drive,” said SVP of global marketing Phil Schiller”
    THAT is precisely the reason Apples trajectory will go down soon. All major companies have the tendency to go cocky after a mega-success, only to be down in the pits a few years later.

22. Christopher Jack

@20, I do foresee a future for hardcore games on mobile phones but I don’t think we’ll be using the actual screen for most of it. Something like HDMI out with bluetooth controllers is doable today, while there are some, like the galaxy Beam, that have built in projectors that could one day- when it’s reached an acceptable resolution with the performance to match, be used to replace the traditional console & TV set up, but that’s, at the very earliest, a decade away before it becomes mainstream.

@21, Apple has always had that tone & they are frequently right but I think optical disks are too cheap for what they do to die overnight. Especially when considering modern download speeds & connections.

23. Erthazus

The biggest news for the gaming site like VG247 is that Graphics card there is capable of PS3 and 360 performance.

It is for sure much better then on the Vita.

You can easily port Call OF Duty:MW3 or BO1 on the iPad. I don’t know about 60 fps per second because processor also matters, but graphics card performace is impressive.

Apple know what to do with their electronics unlike Sony that is trying to put exotic shit in their machines with exception of PS1 and PS Vita. Microsoft is somewhere in between.

24. absolutezero

Holy Jesus those prices.

People are going to buy these things. Alot of people. For that much.

25. Patrick Garratt

@20 – I actually saw something the other day about how Android games revenue had caught up with iOS, or it was a lot closer than it used to be. I’ll try to find it.

But yeah, that’s what I’m saying. The entire idea of iPad emerging as a core gaming device really hasn’t come to fruition. It’s a different market, almost entirely. There’s a bit of cross-over, I’m sure, but there’s clearly no danger of iPad directly impacting Sony or MS in terms of content. It’s not like core devs are moving over to iPad in any way. At one point I really felt they could have secured a proper platform exclusive and aimed at the core, but it’s clearly not going to happen.

26. OlderGamer

“I do foresee a future for hardcore games on mobile phones but I don’t think we’ll be using the actual screen for most of it. Something like HDMI out with bluetooth controllers is doable today, while there are some, like the galaxy Beam, that have built in projectors that could one day- when it’s reached an acceptable resolution with the performance to match, be used to replace the traditional console & TV set up, but that’s, at the very earliest, a decade away before it becomes mainstream.”

Bingo!

Pat, I still say that is out dated thinking. By the time I see mobile taking over, I also see the games being streamed as “service channels”. Prolly going to get one from each mega publisher as a provider. Much in the way Cable TV works. For example you might be able to get EA channel, Sega Channel, and the Acti channel. It might cost you 30usd a month and you get to play whatever games/content each publisher has on their channels. Again think Cable TV where you have HBO and can watch all of their in studio shows and movies, but if you wanted The Walking Dead you would need the AMC channel.

I think the industry will be moving beyond physical formats in a gen or so. But I think alot of us have a hard time thinking that way. Even today where the biggest question is to buy digital or retail.

27. BraveLilCrumpet

I saw that comment too, just because I opted for a optical drive on my new PC build 18 months ago (mostly to install games from) does that mean I’m stuck in the past?
    I agree with Chris that optical drives won’t die overnight,but until games start shipping on USB sticks then I’ll be keeping mine.

28. G1GAHURTZ

No problemo, Steph.

29. Da Man

When was the last time Sony were debt free and dominated any market outside of consoles?

I didn’t like Steve Jobs but Ken Kutaragi was the one coming up with the advice to work more :/ Apple aren’t that dumb, and they’re right on about disc drives.

30. Kabby

Too expensive? Of course, it’s Apple

Wi-Fi 16GB – £269
    Wi-Fi 32GB – £349
    Wi-Fi 64GB – £429
    Wi-Fi + Cellular 16GB – £369
    Wi-Fi + Cellular 32GB – £449
    Wi-Fi + Cellular 64GB – £529

31. freedoms_stain

As much as I’ve never been a fan of Apple or their products, I have always admired their ability to sell equivalent hardware for so much more than anyone else.

This though, is actually a worse product, but still manages to cost more than the competition.

32. Da Man

33. freedoms_stain

Acer just make shit everything, why bring them up?

34. Da Man

Allright.

Come back to me when Samsung makes a smartphone charger of equivalent quality. Then you can try the hardware.

35. freedoms_stain

lol, keep trying.

36. OrbitMonkey

@34, Smartphone chargers… You want to argue smartphone chargers..

You’ll pick a fight over anything won’t you?

37. Da Man

#35

If you can’t make a charger as good as Apple’s why should I even bother with your computers.

Enjoy your noisy, clumsy ugly PC equivalent.

38. absolutezero

I bought a cheap shit USB charger from Amazon for my HTC. Can I talk about my HTC?

Oh and don’t forget the increase in price is for the high quality generic components. It makes them super dependable and immune to harm. They also make less noise and have a better smartphone charger.

39. freedoms_stain

@37, my computers don’t have chargers.

Pretty sure they’re (objectively) quieter and (subjectively) better looking than any Mac too.

But whatever, you’re a dude who can’t separate opinion and fact, or at least choose not in order to facilitate your trolling, so I guess we’re done here.

40. Ireland Michael

@25 I wouldn’t mind giving that a read, if you can track it down.

@37 Any charger I have ever bought for my iDevices has worn itself thin within in a year. I’ve gone through at least four of them across two devices in the span of four years. The covering for the wires is especially flimsy.

I’m still using the same charger I bought for my smartphone three years ago, for half the price Apple charges. And since its a universal micro USB charger, it means I can use it on more than just my phone.

I enjoy Apple devices immensely. They tend to be far more reliable and they have much stronger software support. But the mini is not only underpowered, but overpriced as well. The competition is practically half the prize, and very high quality – especially the Nexus 7.

41. absolutezero

He’s going to bring out that website review of the charger now.

42. Da Man

#39 Quieter? That’s the first time I hear PC allegedly being better noise wise.

#40 http://www.ipodnn.com/articles/12/05/24/well.designed.adapter.protects.phone.from.damage.malfunction/

Anecdotal evidence from a person who edits his posts from three years back?

As for #38, keep telling yourself that. Might try and build a generic Mac Mini while at it.
    Besides I never said they’re immune, Apple things break, just not as often as most of others.

43. Ireland Michael

@41 Well called. Hahahaha.

44. Da Man

Of course I did. Makes more sense than independent evidence.

By the way, there’s this useful ‘lol’ acronym tea always missed. You better edit that post now.

45. freedoms_stain

Hey Da Man, out of interest, if Flextronics designed this charger instead of Apple, would you still harp on about it? Because Ken Shirriff’s original blog post seems to suggest Flextronics are behind the majority of the tech if not all of it.

46. Telepathic.Geometry

Come on VG24/7, you’ve gotta sort out these typos. It looks really unprofessional…

47. Da Man

Yes I would.

Unfortunately, if it wasn’t for the evil Apple brand you wouldn’t make stuff up, such as PC being less noisy than what’s essentially a notebook inside.

48. freedoms_stain

Interesting, unwilling to compare anyone elses tech with Apples based on a charger which isn’t even Apple tech.

I guess that facilitates your trolling too. Convenience opinion and all that.

49. Da Man

Hey, buddy it’s not my fault you have a reading comprehension of a Windows computer.

Might want to go outside sometime and educate yourself on fancy words such as ‘metaphors’ and ‘figurative’. And the rest of them too.

Keep telling yourself how hardcore and techy you are, while using that buzzword.

50. freedoms_stain

“I thought Flextronics was just an electronics assembler and I was surprised to learn that Flextronics does a lot of innovative development and has literally thousands of patents.”

“The picture above is from Flextronics Patent 7,978,489: Integrated Power Converters describes an adapter that looks just like the iPhone charger.”

“Flextronics Patent 7,924,578: Two Terminals Quasi Resonant Tank Circuit describes the resonance circuit used in the iPhone charger”

Flextronics, Worldwide electronics design, fabrication, assembly, and test company. Flextronics manufacture the device, no question, but the fact that so many of their patents go into the thing suggest that they designed it as well.

I await an error report.

51. Da Man

Yes it is Flextronics. It’s an iPhone charger.

Apple also bought NeXT among other things.

Did I say Steve Jobs was a genius behind everything Apple or that everything Apple sells was developed by Apple (per se)? No, I said I didn’t like Steve Jobs.

52. Christopher Jack

Where do you get the idea that all non-Mac PCs are automatically noisier than Macs? Have you actually done any tests to prove your claims or is this your typical blind, baseless fanboyism at work? I’ve worked with Windows notebooks so damn quiet that I can put my ear right next to a vent & still not know whether or not it was actually turned on.

53. Da Man

Butthurt Chris JackArse, for the second time:

*I was comparing Macs to desktop PCs.*

It’s your idiocy at work.

54. freedoms_stain

That’s interesting that Apple bought NeXT. They didn’t buy Flextronics though.

Now I’m somewhat confused though. You see we weren’t allowed to talk about Acer or Samsung hardware because they couldn’t design a smartphone charger as well as Apple, but now it seems that Apple didn’t design the smartphone charger at all and Flextronics (a company that Apple don’t own) probably did. But you’re going to continue using the smartphone charger as some sort of one-shot dismissive argument that negates any discussion on the merits of anybody elses hardware?

I dunno, sounds like you’re a bit of a time waster and a troll to me.

55. Christopher Jack

Define desktop, Apple only makes one real desktop & that’s a server, the rest are what are dubbed All-in-ones or HTPCs. Very few Windows based All-in-ones or HTPCs use desktop components either, almost exclusively notebook parts. If quietness is what matters most to you, build your own.

56. Da Man

#54, show me a Flextronics charger for Samsung galaxy or Acer phone

JackArse, I’ll define idiocy. For detailed definition see post #55.

Apple makes desktops: Mac Mini (regular and server), iMac. All desktop computers. Mac Mini isn’t all in one.

57. Christopher Jack

Why are you trying to compare a HTPC to real desktops? By the way, why the hell are you using Acer as an example? Are you retarded?

58. Christopher Jack

*duplicate post.

59. freedoms_stain

@56, why?

60. Da Man

I ‘m not, you lot do. With your freely available equivalents, constantly going about unbelievable Mac prices. Of course they’re pricier than that noisy coffin you have at home.

Keep trying, you’ll get it eventually. it’s simple by the way: Macs are quieter than PCs.

61. Da Man

#59 Because you should show me an equivalent.

62. freedoms_stain

@61, why?

63. Da Man

^Because.

64. Christopher Jack

Most of the people on this site buy desktops for gaming or basic computer needs, not a single one of use would prioritize quietness & if we did, there are dozens of available pre-built HTPCs or if you want near silence, build your own.

65. Christopher Jack

Don’t get me wrong, Macs are great but from a gamers perspective- they’re useless & overpriced.

66. freedoms_stain

And there we have it ladies and gents, Da Man can’t explain the reasoning behind his own standards. Why? Because there isn’t any reasoning, he picks them purely to illicit confrontation.

There is no other reason to push opinion as fact as hard as he does unless he’s just plain ignorant, which remains a possibility. I’d maintain that the fact that he used to not be a complete moron suggests he’s just moved on to become a douchebag troll though.

67. Da Man

#64 Now let’s discuss why you would want a Mac if you have a dog and why you wouldn’t if you have fish at home.

Build your own then, I bet it’s as easy as trolling Apple on the internet. Since you have nothing else better to do, might show me a link to a Mac Mini alternative.

68. Da Man

#66 Hey, buddy . You were going about equivalents, when asked to show one and failing to do so, you started the sub-topic called ‘Who actually developed ‘Apple charger’. Doesn’t change the fact that an Acer phone has another one.

What if your account wasn’t created by you? imagine the possibilities.

69. Deacon

Because it’s a well known fact people choose their hardware based on how good the charger is.

ANYTHING to get some attention and ruffle some feathers.

70. Da Man

Well, at least it’s better than basing it on imaginary wars going on between oriental bushido and the legion of doom.

71. Deacon

And so ends another thread derailed by the same old regurgitated Da Man shit. Signed off with a highly original jibe at someone’s alleged taste in games.

Please.. someone.. just get rid.

72. Da Man

it was on-topic before you came in.

And the ‘jibe’ was at corporate wars, genius. I don’t need to be original with generic Apple Resistance Force.

73. Christopher Jack

You’ve never seen another HTPC?

74. freedoms_stain

@68, indeed, I was talking about ~7 inch tablet devices, you then attempted to shut down the discussion by bringing up this magic charger, which apparently if another hardware company cannot equal, then the rest of their lineup is somehow moot in the face of their amazing prowess in charger design. I pointed out that Apple did not in fact design the charger in attempt to bypass this ludicrous standard you’re apparently using to shut down comparisons of the underspec’d overpriced iPad mini to better value better performance units such as the Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD or Nook.

So I guess I’ll rephrase my original point, what relevance does a phone charger not designed by Apple have to comparisons to the iPad mini and similar devices such as the Nexus 7 et al?

75. Deacon

Sure it was kiddo. Keep wormin’.

76. Da Man

#74

quote:… sell equivalent hardware for so much more than anyone else.

Which was the point where I brought up the charger, as an example of Apple sold quality hardware.

77. Da Man

#75

Yes it was. Since you have nothing to say aside form the usual Sony cock sucking and ironic anti-Apple angst, why don’t you agree that it fits perfectly with your posts.

78. Deacon

They were talking about HARDWARE you fucking chump. Not chargers, carry-cases, or other peripherals.

You use the flimsiest of shit in defence of your opinion. Is it any wonder people call you a troll?

Please, do keep this going for another 30 comments.

79. Da Man

Charger is a hardware, you anti western soldier, fighting lowest common denominator based industry.

Besides it wasn’t even an opinion, if you read anything here.

It was an example of Apple quality. Contrary to your opinionated, agonizing denial.

80. freedoms_stain

quote: Come back to me when Acer makes a smartphone charger of equivalent quality. Then you can try the hardware.

Ok, we’ve established that Apple don’t make the charger, can we get back to how the iPad mini is underspec’d and overpriced?

81. Christopher Jack

You use a charger to represent an entire companies quality? What about the products themselves? If I remember right, the iPhone 4 had some serious issues.

82. Da Man

#80 Yes. But you got the ‘make’ word out of context. But then I probably wasn’t obvious enough.

iPad Mini is shit. No two ways about it.

83. Da Man

#81

Like what? Antenna?

84. Kalain

Can I just leave these here:

And apple were not going to do anything about it until a Class action lawsuit was filed against them. Classy…

Now, Apple can make some good quality products, but to say they have fantastic quality is now a bit of a moot point. With his Jobsness gone, the quality will go down and down. Look what happened last time, Mr Gate had to bail them out.

So, lets see how good the ‘Apple’ quality lasts shall we.

85. Da Man

Yeah so err, which means you could find a report on any company’s faulty hardware if you use a search engine for some time.

That Tim Cook really doesn’t come across as inferior to Steve Jobs btw.

86. Christopher Jack

@85, But then what’s the point in shoving ONE pro in everyone’s face & claiming that it makes the OEM better than everyone else?

87. Da Man

#86 Because I can’t be arsed to find more similar articles. It was one from a news feed I read.

Besides what kind of logic is that? With that in mind you might as well say that anyone can get gonorrhea regardless of their lifestyle.

88. Christopher Jack

@87, They can. Not likely unless someone goes around raping people but certainly a horrid possibility.

89. Da Man

My point is that it’s a stupid logic.