Burnout will be back, Criterion says

Wednesday, 17th October 2012 22:32 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Criterion will return to the high-octane franchise that made us fall in love with it all over again: Burnout.

For reasons unknown, The Guardian asked Criterion creative director Craig Sullivan what else his team might like to do besides the thing they are incredibly good at it – making amazing racing games.

“There’s still a lot of stuff we want to do with driving,” Sullivan said, before dropping a joy bomb. “We will make another Burnout game at some point.

“Obviously, as we’re working on NFS we’re thinking of really good ideas that aren’t right for this series; there are ideas that we’re going to explore with Burnout. And we wouldn’t be making NFS or Burnout games if we didn’t think the driving genre had a long shelf life and that we could push the boundaries.”

Apparently not content with delighting half the world’s gaming population, Sullivan dropped this little gem about what else Criterion might look to in the future.

“We might make a Road Rash game,” he said, resulting in a massive overjoyed spit take in the vicinity of my desk.

“But then we might make a game without vehicles in it. I mean, we made Black, I was the lead designer; we might make a game about blowing the crap out of each other.

“But Road Rash seems like a good fit for Criterion.”

Yes pwease. Criterion’s latest is Need for Speed: Most Wanted, which drops in November, but it’s also behind the highly successful Hot Pursuit reboot and about a thousand other well-received racers.

Burnout has been on hold since 2008′s Burnout Paradise, although 2011 console network release Burnout Crash was a bit of a laugh.

Thanks, Gamespot.

1. DSB

Don’t sweat it guys, I don’t think anyone noticed that the last couple of NFSes were really just rebranded Burnouts.

Keep churning ‘em out. And lay off the time trial nonsense.

2. SlayerGT

Yes at Road Rash! No at “a game about blowing the crap out of each other”. The bikes in Burnout were sweet. But, and don’t judge me, not showing the wrecks made me sad :D picture this..slow-mo motorcycle crashes were the bikes collapse and blow apart with “rag-doll” ejected riders flipping about the road..with the “WAAAAOH!” being yelled by the rider just like the original. I mean the games called road rash. The riders have to hit the ground. OH! And maybe everytime you wreck you scrape a bit more of your leathers off. So by the end of the race the skilled may have a few scuffs and the unfortunate will be in their unmentionables and bloody :P Ok maybe that would be a bit much. I have such fond memories of playing RR2 with my pop, and both laughing historically at the wrecks and the “arrest” and “damaged out” movies..where they’d load you up in an ambulance only to hit a car and you on the gurney would go flying out the back. Ahh the good ole days :)

3. MadFingerz

^Laughing historically? What is that, laughing like Julius Caesar, Henry the 8th,…? :p j/k

4. Len

Surely a next gen launch Burnout would be a perfect fit?

5. Nath_gamer

I think they should have a go at one last Burnout game on PS3 at least before taking the BIG step and going next gen. remember it’s still like 2 years away guys.

6. SlayerGT

@3 yes?? :D I’ve never been great at spelling..I work at a paint store :P although if Caesar laughed like my pop that would be something. Its the best.

7. aimei11

hello,This is a wholesaler’s web site.

Items, fashion, and: popular personality.

Product quality,commodity price is absolutely!

Always deeply overseas friends love and support.

Please stop you progress in your choice so, need!!!!!

8. tenthousandgothsonacid

@1 The crucial difference is Burnout is always 60 fps whereas Criterion’s NFS games are 30 fps to have prettier cars. I’m preying for next-gen Burnout myself. Be nice to have cars we can properly smash as well rather than the licensed ones. Still looking forward to Most Wanted more than anything else this year though.