The Secret World – Funcom reiterates commitment to subscription model for the time being

Tuesday, 2nd October 2012 19:04 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

The Secret World isn’t going free-to-play “anytime soon,” Funcom has reiterated.

Speaking in a postmortem on Eurogamer, communications director Erling Ellingsen reaffirmed the developer’s commitment to the MMO’s subscription model for the time being.

“It’s a fast changing business and we have to adapt ourselves,” Ellingsen said. “But right now there’s currently no plans.”

“It’s really important to us with the business model we’ve chosen,” added director Joel Bylos. “It sounds very emotional, but I almost feel like we need to prove that this business model has not gone the way of the dinosaur by delivering content constantly to people, and making people feel like there’s value in it.”

Creative director Ragnar Tornquist said the business model for The Secret World could change in a year “or two years or five.”

1. DSB

In MMO lingo, this is the equivalent of when the RL says “It’s a wipe, everybody go stand in the fire”.

Straight to bankruptcy, just get it over with :P

2. roadkill

Also, at the moment it’s already 50% off on Steam! LOL!!

3. Dragon246

I dont know anything about this mmo, but I think its good that they arent abandoning it for something like “business sense” but try to redeem the game and themselves too.

4. Se_7_eN

I think people will laugh at his

“I almost feel like we need to prove that this business model has not gone the way of the dinosaur by delivering content constantly to people, and making people feel like there’s value in it.”

comment, when you see just what ArenaNet has in store for GW2…. FOR FREE!

5. Ireland Michael

Free to play in six months, guaranteed.

6. DSB

I don’t think you could possibly make a statement so inherently suicidal unless you were being completely serious.

This is basically a guy saying “We fucked up, and we’re gonna keep doing it!”.

I can’t imagine a more immediate way to hurt your own company, and this is after they’ve lost half of it, and while they’re in the middle of having to handle the shame and embarrassment of their CEO bailing on them to save his own ass.

If they’re serious about saving it, they should be telling everybody. They need to find the highest mountain in Norway and yodle their butts off. They need to write it on every goat and sheep from Oslo to Kirkenes.

“We fucked up, we know, and we’re going F2P, right away”.

7. Puggy

Well, I would not say the game is bad. I mean I enjoyed it the first few hours. Lots of nice cut scenes and interesting missions with nice Voiceovers.
    Though then there was that one point where it suddenly stopped being fun. Either because I had to redo missions I already played or… well I don’t know. Maybe it just got too hard after some time.

Yeah I know games are to be challenging and carebear and all, but if I play a game, I want to play it. And that means going up against enemies and able to beat them. Getting out of a fight with <10% health all cooldowns active and most of my healing items used, well, that ain't fun for me.
    Most likely I am a bad player (yeah I know, you beat the hardest mob without any equipment, one arm tied behind your back and watching some movie while talking with your friends about the importance of the integral function ancient math), but I was a paying player.

Beside, even after reaching max level… yeah, you have little reason to keep paying. Nothing that really keeps you interested in the game at least for me. Guess you really have to get into a guild to be interested in most MMOs after reaching the "end" of it, else there is little to no appeal to the game. and in that case you do not stay because of the game but because of the people. So you are basically paying the Service provider to let you talk and chat with your friends, what just sounds…. wrong.

8. roadkill

“We fucked up, and we’re gonna keep doing it!” Nice one! :D