Capcom would ‘consider’ a Resident Evil 2 remake with fan support

Thursday, 27th September 2012 00:56 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Resident Evil 2 holds a fond place in many horror fans’ hearts, and is well overdue for an HD brush up. Capcom isn’t exactly against the idea, either.

Capcom’s Yoshiaki Hirabayashi told Gamespot that a Resident Evil 2 remake is indeed a possibility.

“If the fans really clamor for it; if there’s a groundswell of support for remaking that game, then I think that’s something Capcom would take under consideration,” he said.

Don’t take that as any sort of confirmation, as he prefaced it with a flat-out denial.

“Just to lay all the cards on the table, that way there’s no rumour-mongering or things like that, no, we are not working on a Resident Evil 2 remake as of now.”

Resident Evil 6 revisits the urban US setting familiar to series fans, suggesting Capcom knows how much we miss Resident Evil 2′s mean streets. It’s due in November on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, with a PC version to follow.

1. Judicas

They (Capcom) NEED to bring resident evil 0 and the remake of 1 to ps3/x360. I’d definitely buy resident evil 2 remade too, or just a widescreen update like code veronica and re4 with achievements. I just hope if they do remakee re2 that it’s not wii U exclusive :P

2. Unknown_Gamer

No More Nintendo Exclusives ( Which i respect their industry ) .. Please Gaming Companies DO NOT DO THAT AGAIN !!

3. Se_7_eN

I read – “Capcom admits Resident Evil fans won’t be pleased with Resident Evil 6.”

4. Judicas

I’m looking forward to Resident Evil 6 but to be honest I only thing i’m going to enjoy Leon’s section and Ada’s, I think the other two are likely to suck :/

5. Cangriman

I smell a Wii U Exclusive… All the awesome RE games have been on a Nintendo console, RE Remake, RE 2, and RE 4, and I also like RE Zero.

6. GwynbleiddiuM

I read “In order to complete the destruction of the Resident Evil legacy, we ought to do a RE2 remake.”

7. Tweetytunes

Come on VG24/7 “It’s due in November on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, with a PC version to follow.” next to an advert right next to it saying out 02/10/12.

Yes we the fans would love a remake of Res2, but I would also love to see the remake of 1 away from Nintendo.

8. CPC_RedDawn

PETITION TIME!!!!

Lets turn this one into a Demon Souls all over again like we did with that one too. It only took 90k+ signatures! They could easily retexture this game is 90k+ people brought it as a digital download.

But lets take this one step further. Lets get a petition for a Resident Evil Quadrilogy remake!

Remake RE1 and 0 (from Gamcube, best version of the first ever!)

Remake 2, and 3 (retexture, maybe add in some deleted scenes, new guns, etc)

And give Resi 4 HD a little more polish here and there.

(Sorry completely leave out CV as that to me was one of the worst Resi games ever, second only to #5).

Release this in one package for say £25 and I am sold!!

Wishful thinking, it is CAPCOM they will probably do this with the first 2 games charge full price for it and then a week later release DLC thats already on the disk and charge more money just for an unlock code to get the other games!

GOD DAMN IT CAPCOM!!

9. Sini

Bring REmake to 1080p instead. Static camera or GTFO

10. vicrysty

Resident Evil 1,2,3 are the best in the series. RE1 (rebuilt) I played on the GameCube. (Very very good). I beg you to remake RE2 and RE3. And then take them all three on ps3 and xbox360. Maybe the PC.

11. ManuOtaku

If this end up being just as good as Resident Evil Zero and the Rebuilt of RE1, i will say yes bring it, in the case of RE1 rebuilt was a fine job a completly redone game (graphic wise), not like most of today releases of old tittles, they are good, dont get me wrong, but this rebuilt show how is really done.

12. YoungZer0

@3: Funny, that’s exactly what i’ve read too. It will probably sell well anyway.

13. Rain700

I definitely think Capcom should remake RE2, exactly like they did with RE1! This is such a popular game and has a significantly large fan base, I know people would buy it. And what a good marketing strategy for people to keep coming back to Resident Evil story line, especially with those who are new to the game! Capcom should definitely rebuild RE2 so that newcomers do not have to go back to the original (which was a great game at the time) to be filled in on characters, and the story. I still play the new RE1 even though I have cleared it! PLEASE do not make it only for one system though! You must make it universal for people who do not have all systems. Hell, Id even suggest to start thinking about rebuilding RE3 Nemesis too! Why not??

14. Rain700

@CPC RED DAWN: How do I sign your petition!!?? I am with you on this! Lets get Capcom to remake RE2 and RE3 (Nemesis) for PS3/XBox/Gamecube redesigned, new rooms, new chapters…the whole package! Just like they did with RE1 I loved it!!!!

I am constantly recruiting new Resident Evil fans, and it would be better to have the redesigned games for them to start off with, to familiarize with the characters and story line.

15. Rain700

REMAKE RE2 AND RE3 (NEMESIS)!!! PLEASE!!

16. _LarZen_

If Nintendo is smart they will secure re-makes for the good old Resident Evil games on the Wii U.

That would sell even more Wii U machines…

17. Dimensionx87

Come on already with the remakes 1,2,3 and CV. I love all your resident evil games. I have every single resident evil except the polish ones you will make. So please consider a hasty project to remake these games. From resident evil directors cut ps one to just released resident evil 6 which btw is a fabulous game. THANK YOU CAPCOM YOU ROCK THE SHIZZLES

18. Dannyfan

The time for Resident Evil 2 to be remade was when the PS game was redone on the gamecube. They originally planned remakes for two and three at the time but chose to just port the PSX games instead. Anything now will probably be in the format of Resident Evil 5 which is a good game but NOT Resident Evil.

I’d rather see Capcom release a polished edition of Resident Evil 2 with high quality FMVs, higher resolution and 360 controller support on PC, like what Rockstar did with the original Grand Theft Auto.

Anything remade now is probably going to ruin my childhood memories with an angry foreign villager armed with a spade running after me in the classic RPD Police Station, no thanks!!

#18 1 year ago
  19. regirl1234567

I would be happy if they remade resident evil 2…..I don’t think they should change the game completely though. I think they should just make it hd with better graphics because honestly the game itself is amazing.

#19 1 year ago