ZombiU: ‘if you play it like Call of Duty, you will die’ – Ubisoft

Thursday, 20th September 2012 09:39 GMT By Dave Cook

ZombiU is nothing like Call of Duty with zombies, because Black Ops 2 already has that covered. Instead, we explained earlier this week that it’s more like Dark Souls with zombies, because it you rush in guns blazing you will be very dead in a matter of seconds. No joke. Ubisoft has shed further light on the game’s difficulty.

Explaining the game in detail to ONM, Ubisoft’s Jean-Phillipe Caro stressed that if you play ZombiU like Call of Duty, it’s going to end very badly for you.

“The market is going towards more action games. Call Of Duty is driving the market and everyone is going to Call Of Duty’s market. When we had to work with Nintendo we had two screens to make a new experience.”

“When we were making Killer Freaks we discovered that it was not a good place for players to feel the potential of the console and the dual screens because the player needs to look at one screen and go to another screen and this move is not natural.”

“That’s why we decided to go to a slow pace. We thought about this for a long time and the GamePad became of use in the management part. When I’m playing an action game, I can aim and shoot at the TV.

“But each time I have to look for something on my mini-map, to watch on my scanner or to look around me, think, to react and make a plan or make a strategy, I use my GamePad. That’s when we had the idea to make the GamePad our survival kit.”

“If you play like in Call Of Duty, you will die. You will have to learn how to use the GamePad as your survival kit. If you listen carefully to your GamePad, you will succeed because the game is hard.”

So there you go, it’s not Call of Duty, or Left 4 Dead, but something much slower. Think Dark Souls or Silent Hill and you’re in the right ball park.

ZombiU launches alongside Wii U in Europe November 30th.

1. Maximum Payne

Ahahahaa
    Props to Ubi on this.

2. G1GAHURTZ

lol! Ok then, so not all zombies are alike after all…

Interesting read, though.

This highlights two issues that I have with the WiiU.

1. The idea that we’ll see a slew of innovative games where you can use two separate screens is debunked here, because it’s made even more clear that looking at two screens at the same time is pretty much the domain of the chameleon, rather than human beings.

2. What he’s saying makes it even clearer to me that people are coming up with games and then trying to see how they could best fit the gamepad into the gameplay, rather than using it because of a specific need. This is what basically killed waggle in the end, because so many devs just tried to make it fit, when it blatantly didn’t need to.

So are we going to see the WiiU become the go-to console for turn based strategy games and slow moving action titles at the expense of most other genres?

3. absolutezero

Hopefully because turn based strategy and slow moving action/survival horror are dead because of those most other genres.

4. monkeygourmet

“You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh its a fence, no its soft, ahh… What’s happening? The shapes, the chaos! Huh? It has to be simple nursery rhymes for you, doesn’t it? Dee di dee di dee dee di. When the melody gets abstract, you mess your trousers and run to your mummy.

I see a boundary, I eat a boundary and wash it down with a cup of hot steaming rules.”

5. DrDamn

1. The second screen has a number of different options in terms of use. I don’t see how your conclusion follows from the text of the article. It’s just one example of use. What he’s highlighting is the immersive nature of the implementation and how it’s used for this game. There are lots of other options. Even at it’s most basic – a map – it’s easier to glance briefly at the screen in your hands than it is to turn on the map in most games. You are also ignoring a slew of other possibilities. Multiplayer where some information needs to be hidden from the other players, or hotkeys where you don’t even need to look at the second screen to use.

2. This is a concern and was a failing of the Wii. The big difference here is that the controller is functionally very standard without the screen. So it is a better fit for most games – unlike the wii-mote. Use of the screen might be minor in some titles – but at the very least they shouldn’t be hampered, like some Wii games were by poor motion control. In a sense it can only add to gameplay – it should never detract.

Finally … “So are we going to see the WiiU become the go-to console for turn based strategy games and slow moving action titles …”

You say that like it’s a bad thing :). It won’t be at the expense of other genres due to the points above.

6. G1GAHURTZ

@5:

Sure, on that point, I agree. Which ties into what I was saying, because having a separate map on a pause screen, for example, isn’t really an option for games where the map has always been on-screen.

Basically, the pad appears to be a very capable pause screen replacement. But if that’s all it turns out to be, then was it really worth the effort?

So what can it bring to games where using the pause screen is a rarity, or not important to actual gameplay?

It just seems to me that this article is explaining a design process where they had a game first, then decided to go in a particular direction in order to accommodate the gamepad and make it seem viable.

Which might well work for them, or it might not, but if that’s the general idea that devs are going to try and go for, then I think it’s going to end up in a whole load of compromised games.

7. absolutezero

Its more they had the game and then by investigating the pad to moved in a completely different direction.

Killer Freaks was more fast paced, more comedic and more action based.

Just like Xenoblade on the Wii theres no actual need for every game to ultilise the unique control methods. If the pad does not fit in with the type of game then it can quite easily just be a normal game.

That was something that alot of people never understood about the Wii, the fact that there were alot of titles that never had waggle at all and were perfectly playable without it, in all genres.

8. Da Man

Silent Hill and you’re in the right ball park.

In other words, it’s like playing CoD without the strafe buttons.

Why would anyone use SH to describe combat gameplay when it had borderline non existing mechanics.

9. OrbitMonkey

Well let’s hope ZombieU isn’t too frustrating. The WiiU pad will make for a very expensive frisbee :’(