Sleeping Dogs sold 172K at US retail in August

Tuesday, 11th September 2012 02:36 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Sleeping Dogs sales reached 172,000 during its two weeks on sale during August.

The NPD Group shared the figure with Joystiq.

That figure doesn’t include PC sales, because the data only covers retail – and there’s no physical PC release in the US. This bit is quite interesting, as Sleeping Dogs on PC isn’t a cheap-and-nasty port, and has drawn significant praise from the Master Race. It frequently appears in the top 50 games being played on Steam.

Darksiders 2, launched the same week, sold 273,000 copies to top the charts.

Sleeping Dogs has topped the UK charts not once but twice, having returned triumphantly to number one after a week of Guild wars 2 madness.

The United Front open world effort is available on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

1. TMRNetShark

I hope it’s enough to sustain Square Enix… >.>

2. roadkill

I hope it’s not!

3. xXNapsterManXx

I think the game was awesome hope there is another game like it.

4. loveaya

Well, the happy SE would announce Sleeping Dog-2~

5. Clupula

Across two systems? Jesus, that’s actually pretty bad considering how much hype that game had. There are PS3-exclusive niche JRPG’s with zero advertising that sell that much.

6. Phoenixblight

Thats within mid august. So within a couple of weeks it sold that much and I haven’t seen any advertisements anywhere else other than some game sites. THe same goes for Darksiders 2 which only sold 200k.

7. Yoshi

I hope there’s a sequel. It really did sneak up on me and I found it really enjoyable.

8. Clupula

@6 – the one night a week I watch pay cable, I saw three ads in a three hour time period on the USA Network.

9. Phoenixblight

Don’t have that channel. I watch FX,COmedy Central and cartoon network. I saw Darksiders 2 almost nightly but no sleeping Dogs.