Dishonored dev sick of sequels, responds to Gibeau’s ‘new IP’ warning

Monday, 10th September 2012 11:58 GMT By Dave Cook

Dishonored developer Arkane believes that new IP can thrive this late in the console cycle if they are handled correctly. Executive producer Julien Roby has replied to claims made by EA’s Frank Gibeau that releasing new IP so late in the cycle is a mistake.

In an IGN interview, Roby was asked for his thoughts on Gibeau’s stance, “Well, you probably have some insight on that but I think as long as the game is good, whether it’s a new IP or not, if the game is good, it gets a good review and it’s marketed properly people will want to look at it.”

“Specifically now” Roby added, “because it’s been a few years where we’ve only got sequels of sequels of sequels of sequels. I think people are getting tired of just playing the same thing over and over. So I hope that they’re going to try Dishonored for the fact that it’s trying to do something a little different that those other games.”

What do you think? Is it a gamble to launch new IP this late, or does it really depend on the title in question?

Thanks IGN.

1. TheBlackHole

If a game is good, I’ll enjoy it. If a sequel is good, I’ll enjoy it.

I don’t care if a game has 20 sequels, it’s about how good the game is.

2. RandomTiger

That fact doesn’t make it PR bullshit, as an individual hes saying he prefers the risk of new IP, while his company will certainly will leverage a sequel if it successful. Nothing wrong with that.

I’m glad someones at least trying to make new IP.

3. karma

#1: “FACT: Dishonored will have a sequel if it’s financially successful, rendering all this hyperbolic PR bullshit utterly redundant.

If a game is good, I’ll enjoy it. If a sequel is good, I’ll enjoy it.

I don’t care if a game has 20 sequels, it’s about how good the game is.”

There is certainly a strong element of truth to what you say. A good game is a good game, no more, no less, but even great games become weary for many gamers after numerous iterations of the same formula. It becomes less about quality and more about the lack of new experiences. As human beings, new experiences is what we all thrive on throughout our lives. Without them our lives wouldn’t be worth living.

So I have to take sides with Arkane here, Gibeau’s comments are narrow minded. He isn’t taking into consideration human need.

4. DaveDogg

To start with i was really interested in this game but as time has gone on increasingly less so. they keep telling us what a great game it is, how much freedom there is to do things differently and so on but do we see a proper gameplay video? no we see montages of 5 second lumps cut together and occassional shots of a radial menu with no explanation. they talk about good marketing i would suggest the best marketing is a good demo

5. absolutezero

There are multiple gameplay demo reels taken from multiple conventions freely available on youtube.

Im not that interested in what the 2 major mouth pieces behind the game have to say, im more interested in the fact that its been developed by Arkane (with alot of support for once, which is nice), a developer that has never done me wrong.

They also have’nt produced a single sequel to date either. (ok sure this is only the third game that they’ve made but any other studio would have just made three follow ups instead of three new titles).

6. Da Man

What an amazing story.

‘New IP dev says No you to an established brand dev’.

Next up, ‘An established brand dev says new IP dev is wrong’.

7. roadkill

Hooah! :)

8. DaveDogg

@5 yes there are several gamplay reels but not one of them features any continuous gamplay its all heavily cut together a few seconds of this a few seconds of that a few second of something else. give me a video of 5 minutes of continuous gamplay so that i can sus out the flow of whats going on and i might change my mind give me a well put togeter demo and theres a very good chance i will change my mind

9. absolutezero

14 minutes of a full mission playthough with commentary. Its on Bethesda’s own youtube channel for God sake.

10. DaveDogg

@9 well thats one one belive it or not thats never come up in a search for me normally ive ended up watching one thats been cut together while some goon from IGN or GTTV or similar gushes about how fantastic the 20 minutes he played was which has nothing to do with what im seeing at that moment

11. DaveDogg

ok so ive watched it and i think yeah its very pretty but that video actually presented more points that i dont like than it settled in my head for instance there seemed to be a lot of prior knowledge involved in the things being done and more than that there was one moment when i thought that makes absolutley no sense whatsoever

12. Jerykk

Um, of course there’s a lot of prior knowledge involved in the demo playthrough. The people playing it have played it many, many times and know exactly what they’re doing. That’s how demonstrations work.

13. DaveDogg

the point being that its not expained how the player would know that theres this thing here or an open steam vent there without showing you them in the demo just oh we can kill the target stealthily by turning this valve and being able to see the next room fill with steam but not where from