Borderlands 2 video shows off GeForce GTX PhysX effects

Monday, 27th August 2012 02:39 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Borderlands 2 looks pretty sweet on a high-end PC, and one manufacturer of high-end PC components wants you to check out how shooting the floor looks way better with GeForce GTX PhysX enabled.

This video is also viewable on nVidia’s Borderlands 2 promotional hub The GeForce team is so excited about Gearbox’s sequel that the game comes free with new purchases of a GTX.

Borderlands 2 hits PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in September.

Thanks, GameInformer.

1. Kabby

Repost.

2. LuLshuck

Looks like they compared the pc version to the console versions

3. Phoenixblight

and Non-nvidia cards version.

4. Brenna Hillier

@1 is it? Link?

5. HauntaVirus

I’m pretty sure this is what Kabby was referring to. It just has as link to the same video so this technically isn’t a re-post.

6. alterecho

Why don’t they add support for Havok physics too, as an option for non-Nvidia cards? Fast processors should be able to handle Havok.

7. Brenna Hillier

@5 oh yeah! Well, I think I’ll leave it, the video is the main point and I think it’s pretty cool.

8. Telepathic.Geometry

That’s real purty. Wish I had a gaming PC…

9. Phoenixblight

Because that is proprietary to Havok and you can’t put havok features in Unreal. Plus Havok’s physics is not as in depth as this at least not in the current version of Havok.

10. roadkill

Well I could live without all these pretty effects but I’m happy I don’t have to. :D

@7 Yes please. The video is a very important part of this story.

11. Maximum Payne

@9 Yes you can put Havok in Unreal tons of games did it.
    They use physx from Nvidia because its much faster to create and graphic whores and fanboys like DSB to say: dat my geforce physx :D

12. _LarZen_

Dont the X360 have support for PhysX?

13. Christopher Jack

@12, The X360 doesn’t even have an Nvidia card. The PS3 does but I’m not sure whether it supports it.

14. OwnedWhenStoned

PhysX can be hardware accelerated from series 8 (CUDA capable) GPUs onwards I believe.

The RSX in the PS3 is based on the Series 7 GPU. (7800 / 7600)

15. Phoenixblight

What games?

I have looked and the only game that uses Unreal and Havok physics recently is Bioshock 1 and 2.

16. DSB

@11 I’m flattered, but since when?

I don’t believe I’m any kind of graphics whore. Art style is a lot more important.

Gameplay > Story > Artstyle > Everything else.

My only comments on GFX has been the fact that I’d much rather pay 50 dollars extra to avoid dealing with an ATI/AMD card, ever again.

That’s not fanboyism, that’s common sense, based the experience of having actually owned one :)

17. Maximum Payne

@16 Its ok :D

18. Christopher Jack

@14, I didn’t say that it wasn’t capable, I’m just not sure it’s supported. I think it maybe but I’n too tired to google the answer.
    @16, Art style is part of the graphics.

19. Phoenixblight

PHYSX effects will not be supported on the console versions. Its because Unreal 3 comes with PhysX and its easy to enable and add to the game where if they were to add Havok they would have to completely modify the engine to support Havok and then also have another piece of middleware to pay for.

20. OwnedWhenStoned

@14 – I think it’s supported on all platforms as a software layer, but only accelerated in hardware on nvidia series 8 and above. (I think.)

21. DSB

@18 Pedantics.

There’s a difference between the visual fidelity determined by your GPU, and the actual aestethics of the game determined by the designer, even if you could call both graphics.

22. Phoenixblight

“There’s a difference between the visual fidelity determined by your GPU, and the actual aestethics of the game determined by the Art Director, even if you could call both graphics.”

Designers don’t do the aesthectics. They worry about gameplay and its fun factor. THe art director is the one that is in control of how the game looks. :D

23. DSB

@22 Oh. My. Fucking. God.

Now I know how Steph feels :P

24. Erthazus

Looks ok to be honest. Nothing jaw dropping here. Nvidia PhysX was much better in Batman:AC