Final Fantasy 14 stock to be destroyed by retailers per Square’s request – rumor

Thursday, 23rd August 2012 14:16 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Final Fantasy 14 is to be destroyed by retailers per Square Enix’s request, according to a NeoGaf poster who works at retail. The firm is offering $16 compensation for each copy. Joystiq requested comment on the matter, but Square wouldn’t acknowledge a destroy order had been issued. Square is busy working on the game’s reboot, which upon launch will be known as Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn.

1. orakaa

Wow, if that were true can you imagine the amount of money they would lose on that?

2. roadkill

More important is why!? Hmm..

3. Hunam

I’d imagine they are going to say anyone who buys one gets a month or so free plus loot in the new game, so to stop people buying it for £2/3 and getting all the new stuff. Then when the new one comes out there will be a new box.

4. deathm00n

Or, it’s going to be a free to play digital only game… one can only hope. I don’t have time to play too much so I really want to play it for free so my money don’t get wasted because I don’t have time to be a hardcore player

5. Hunam

It really needs to be F2P thinking about it. Any other route will lead to disaster.

6. freedoms_stain

I imagine the data on the disc is pretty irrelevant given all the changes the game has seen.

7. Dragon246

Heres hoping the improved version is liked by ff fans . Waiting for ps3 version.
    Although 16$ is too much right now for the broken version lol.

8. KrazyKraut

Its because the version 2.0 will be more a new game than just a small update.
    The current updater sucks (some kind of torrent client thing) and the amount of gigabytes you have to download is not very funny for some ppl. I installed the game 3 weeks ago, and it took me 1.5 hours with 100 mb cable.
    They will bring a new version with the right basic files and ofc a new cover and the Realm reborn stuff. Want to see how they will provide ppl who already own the old version on DVD.

Its really a shame for all those walk through and database sites of FFXIV..the hard work of all ppl will have to be corrected with more hard work.

9. Deacon

This has prompted me to buy the current version from Amazon for £6.