EA: ‘I get hurt when I see BioWare & DICE criticised’

Thursday, 23rd August 2012 10:29 GMT By Dave Cook

EA’s Peter Moore has given a rare insight into his views on the gaming populace, backlash aimed squarely at him, as well as criticism hurled at BioWare and DICE. The EA COO has also spoken out regarding the company’s policy of DLC and service subscriptions like Battlefield 3′s Battlelog.

Speaking with Eurogamer, Moore discussed gamer’s dislike for DLC and subscriptions, stating that the problem is generational, rather than a poor move on the publisher’s behalf.

Moore stated, “I think people are worried gaming is going in a different direction than they were used to with N64, Sega Mega Drive, PlayStation and PlayStation 2. Everything was dominated by consoles.”

“Pretty much everything was offline,” Moore continued, “You bought the game. You sat down. And you played the game until you got tired of the game. It was all on the disc. There was nothing else coming along. Sometimes I feel sorry for gamers whose world was cartridges. I sense on the boards there is a pining for the old times.”

Moore does acknowledge and respect that view, “But you’re right. I sense that. And sometimes I feel sorry for gamers whose world was cartridges. I sense on the boards there is a pining for the old times.”

On the subject of backlash, Moore stressed that he doesn’t take personal offence to people having a go at him, but he does feel for EA’s studios, “I do get hurt for guys who work at BioWare, who work at DICE, who work at EAC in Vancouver. These are guys who love games and are brilliant at what they do, and then read this stuff and go, well, I gave everything for that, and that’s what they think about it.”

What do you think readers? Is this hate of DLC and milking content a generation problem, or is Moore shifting blame? Let us know below.

1. Edo

It’s more of a EA:
    “Some of these people we have here are very talented and creative and the games they are working on look very good and can turn into respectful franchises….we can’t have that around here!!” :) .

2. Gheritt White

I <3 Peter Moore – one of the nicest senior execs in the industry, IMHO.

3. Yoshi

I get hurt when developers make bad games… where’s my news headline :P

4. G1GAHURTZ

Poor old guy…

Maybe the pressure is getting to him.

Looks like he’s started to repeat the exact same sentence twice in a row without realising it.

5. KrazyKraut

I like it when DLCs are on the disc. The way Rockstar or Gearbox (with the second Goty Edition of Borderlands) does.

6. Old MacDonald

It’s not about nostalgia, it’s about something much bigger. It’s really about what games should be; contained, meaningful experiences or long, drawn out services that ask for more and more of your time and give nothing but unlocks in return.

7. Dragon246

EA gets more hate than required. If people dont like them, dont buy their games.

8. Ge0force

Both Bioware and DICE got popular on pc, where extra content was made by the community for free thanks to modtools and editors. Online gaming was free and people were allowed to host their own dedicated servers.

This generation, both Bioware and DICE shifted to console. Now we pay for Xbox Live, for (day 1) DLC, for premium services and for online passes. Expansions are called sequels now. And in the end, we get less content than the community provided us.

And still, EA doesn’t understand why so many gamers want to go back to the old times. Because “everything was dominated by consoles”, right?

9. Strange Sultan

then they should do something about it. it feels like they are trying to enforce their ideals on us until we give up and accept what the give us.

10. Ercarret

I’m from “that generation” of gamers, but I don’t dislike DLC or subscriptions per se. I dislike a lot of DLC and subscriptions, due to poor quality or service. For example, I loved the Vietnam DLC/expansion for BF:BC2 but hated the DLC for the first Mass Effect. I will also probably buy Premium for BF3 as soon as I can afford, but would never have paid for a SWTOR subscription.

Don’t get hurt. Get it right. Especially Bioware should be criticised for some of the stuff they’ve been doing lately. Not crucified, but criticised. They haven’t been up to snuff, and should be called out on that. Simple as that.

11. Christopher Jack

People just assume that because it has a giant corporation attached to a product, that it somehow devalues the time, blood, sweat, tears & efforts that the dozens- or even hundreds have put into the game.

12. Gheritt White

Christopher Jack, I couldn’t agree more.

13. viralshag

I can’t really complain about EA considering I buy most of their games. If I really had a problem I would do as #7 says and not buy their games.

EA easily publish the majority of games I would consider as my favourites.

14. ArithonUK

I get hurt when I see DICE and EA take a dump on the once-great PC BattleField franchise with zero LAN support, nickel-and-diming with DLC and zero MOD support.
    Must be “generational” to feel that an add-on pack that would have been free DLC a few years ago now costs more than the game.
    I must be “worried that things are going the in wrong direction” when developers lie about the PC being the lead platform. Talk about next years game when this years title still has major bugs and performance issues, crippled by a shoddy web-interface that frequently drops out.
    I am certainly “pining for the old times” when developers gave a crap about their customers. Back when requests for in-game VOIP, in-game browser, Commander, LAN support, Mod support, more classes etc. might have not fallen on intentionally deaf ears.

Like I said, hurt. And no longer your customer.

15. DSB

So where’s the sympathy for guys like George Fan?

Does EA even have a PR department? Don’t you realize that you are never going to sell that story in a million years?

Day 1: Fire one of the most prominent indie developers in your corporation

Day 2: “I feel so bad for my studios”

Seriously? Someone greenlit that?

16. ManuOtaku

I dont like most of DLC (most of the games except borderlands), and milking content like capcom do, or the always connected thing in orderto play singleplayers games, etc., but i dont blame developers for this, i blame us the gamers, they are really just reading the signs we send, we vote with our wallets, really, therefore i dont have any strong feelings agaisnt any company, maybe activision but that is mainly for kotick so is a normal thing, i suppose ;), so they are doing what they are seeing , that gamers support this type of things.

And iam get hurt…..when i see your pictures Moore, you dont look good in pictures :)

17. Len

Lol@4 Exactly what I thought.

18. traumafox

Disapproval of DLC and the much more corporate nature of the industry nowadays is hardly “pining for the old times,” it’s trying to stop the industry from hurtling full-speed towards an untimely demise due to poor decision making and general greed. I enjoy the luxuries afforded by modern technology for gaming, but expensive DLC that is planned from the get-go and an over-saturation of samey first person shooters are really watering down the industry and reducing the overall value of video games.

Profits come before customers these days for many companies, EA being one of the top pioneers of this business philosophy as it pertains to the gaming industry. I don’t want to go back to the old times, I want to see the future, but not the one EA has in mind.

19. Joe_Gamer

I have never bought DLC nor will I, I’m certainly not going to waste money on some fucking VIP subscription. Xbox live? I have to PAY to play multiplayer? What an insult. If you want my money make a good game(single player of course) with a decent story, put it out on pc and make it moddable. If you really hurt every time your sorry-ass studios got the criticism that they deserve you’d never leave the hospital. You think I pine for the cartridge days? Seriously out of touch with the old school gamer. We miss the days when games were made by people who loved games and had a clear vision of what they wanted. Now everything is a damn sequel to a sequel, dumbed down to a 1st grade level for the widest possible audience and focus tested into the blandest of mediocrity. I’m too old to waste my time playing boring games.

20. Phoenixblight

Games cost millions of dollars to develop when in the cartridge days they were just in their thousands. ANd people who work in the industry do love it thats why they get paid less, and get exploited. A programmer can easily make triple figure outside of the game industry but they instead go work for game studios, why is that? Because they love it and they love the challenge it brings. I know I could get paid more doing films and such but instead I work for a independent game company and just get paid a few dollars less than I did working for Cisco and I work more hours even though I am salaried. You know why I stay? Because I love the challenge and I love the people I work with.

21. Henry

People don’t hate getting more content to play.

People hate those contents are usually overpriced.

EA and their studios keep deliberately misinterpreting the problem so as to justify their Subscription and DLC policy. That’s why people hate EA.