Tony Scott was interested in directing Gears of War movie

Tuesday, 21st August 2012 18:43 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Director Tony Scott, who committed suicide on Sunday, was in talks to direct the Gears of War movie, according to former New Line Cinema producer Jeff Katz.

Speaking on Twitter, Katz said: “When we acquired Gears of War at New Line, [Tony Scott] badly wanted to direct. Chased it hard. It didn’t work out, but I always loved the idea of seeing him play in that sort of Ridley-adjacent space, which he’d really avoided. I’ll always wish it happened.”

Epic’s Cliff Bleszinski joined in stating on Twitter: “I remember the meeting. He had a video presentation and everything. He told stories about filming Man on Fire in Mexico.”

Rights to the Gears of War movie were acquired by New Line Cinema in 2007, and during 2008, Len Wiseman was poised to direct before bowing out in 2010.

Via Gamespot.

1. The_Red

I still don’t get it. He was almost ready to shoot another film, had many other projects in development and then suddenly he decides to kill himself?

2. TerraZet

@2 He had inoperable brain cancer apparently so maybe he decided to take the quick way out instead of going through the chemo

3. DSB

He wasn’t sick, that was just an internet rumor.

Sometimes people kill themselves for no good reason.

4. Aimless

My theory is that he finally got around to watching Prometheus.

5. Moonwalker1982

It’s a damn shame what happened. The guy made some really awesome movies.

6. DSB

It’s not long since I watched Top Gun, and man, I never noticed how gay that movie is. The sexual tension between Val Kilmer and Tom Cruise trash talking eachother while only in towels, is almost unbearable.

In a post Don’t-Ask-Don’t-Tell world, I think “Top and Bottom Gun” would be a more appropriate title.

7. YoungZer0

@6: Which reminds me: http://youtu.be/uIkFC2kN8aY

8. OrbitMonkey

Well whatever the reason… I gotta salute a 68 year old guy deciding to end it by speeding up to a bridge, scaling a 8 foot wall and jumping into the sea, with no hesitation.

I’m just over half his age and struggle getting out of bed.

9. Ireland Michael

“Planning for the future is like going fishing in a dry gulch;
    Nothing ever works out as you wanted, so give up all your schemes and ambitions.
    If you have got to think about something—
    Make it the uncertainty of the hour of your death.”
    - Gyalse Rinpoche

10. NiceFellow

Damn shame about Scott. Liked a fair few of his movies.

11. TheBlackHole

So let me get this straight… Tony Scott comes and BEGS for the Gears job, and rather than pay up for an inevitably awesome movie, you give the gig to Len (I can’t direct for shit but somebody keeps letting me do it) Wisemen!?

Seriously Hollywood, what the actual fuck?

Also, @4 – seriously tasteless.

12. Sini

Pretty obvious his older brother shamed the family name with Prometheus. There are only so many outcomes you can take.

13. TheBlackHole

Wow – are you going for humour there?

14. themadjock

GTFO you insensitive wankers, trash talking Prometheus when this talented director and by all accounts decent human being felt he had to take his own life for whatever reason. Have you ever lost a brother, I have, and the last thing Ridley needs now are some pathetic internet trolls slagging his work while mourning the loss of his brother. Shame on you

15. DSB

@9 That was far too good to waste on the VG247 comment section :P

16. Ireland Michael

@15 Why? Felt it was relevant. I don’t know what the guy went through, but it is tragic nonetheless. I don’t think any of us will understood why he did it. But he deserves some respect.

I can’t understand the mentality of the people in this thread throwing around callous and insulting remarks. It’s sad to see. =(

Pleae have some respect.

17. DSB

@16 But you do know you’re giving those people exactly what they want by responding that way, right?

I was just saying that was way too good a quote to spend on the VG247 comment section (or really the internet in general) because it does make a nice epitaph.

18. Ireland Michael

@17 I… don’t understand. Why would that cause people to be aggressive or obnoxious or whatever?

19. themadjock

@16 + 1. It’s not surprising only sickening that people think just because it’s a random internet forum and they are nameless, anonymous posters mean that they have the right to post shite and get away with it.

20. DSB

@18 I’m sure it’s something about the eternal struggle between the anima and animus, dionysus and apollo, the overmind and the undermind.

But pretty much, people tend to be assholes whenever they think they can get away with it.

See any 16 year old boy. Alone, insecure little twat. Sheltered by a group, big bad man.

21. Ireland Michael

@20 They were going to be assholes whether I posted it or not.

22. Sini

oh shit, mangina packs are on the hunt, time to cool it for the night.
    ps. I kicked some ass as a solo late teen too. Ok, that’s semi true, I had my rottweiler, allowed me to study mathematics and physics instead of practicing being a mule.
    pps. fuck selfish ass millionaires with their “problems” while thousands of people lack basic needs.
    dumb shits.