Nintendo Power magazine will no longer be published

Tuesday, 21st August 2012 19:57 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Nintendo Power is being discontinued by Future Publishing, according to the magazine’s senior editor Chris Hoffman.

The news originally broke via Ars Technica, where an anonymous source stated Nintendo wasn’t interested in renewing the contract with Future nor would it pursue a digital version.

Current staff have moved to other Future properties.

The first issue of Nintendo Power hit stands in 1988 and was originally distributed and published by Nintendo. It was outsourced to Future in 2007.

1. SplatteredHouse

This is quite a big deal in terms of gaming print media, isn’t it? I’m just trying to get a sense of the scale here. I usually assumed NP to be the level of an EGM, in terms of quality, and coverage – was that the reality?

2. The_Red

That is sad. While I didn’t like the modern NP, the classic one was really awesome. Only saw a few issues but it was beyond mindblowing for its time.

3. KrazyKraut

@1+2
    somehow funny to say this on a gaming website. somehow.

4. Ireland Michael

@1 Considering EGM was never particularly “high quality” I’m not sure I understand the comparison.

While it is sad to see people lose their jobs, and I hope the people involved in the magazine can find new work soon, the magazine was never anything special.

5. ManuOtaku

I think the last one i got was five years ago, or even more, my kids love it, and i think they were ok, but the firsts ones were pretty good IMHO, sad for the people that worked there, i hope they do had another job available right away, like this post indicated.

6. SplatteredHouse

Well I’m trying to understand from a point of ignorance, what kind of esteem Nintendo Power was held in. It originally being in-house must have meant it was valued
    But…I always rated EGM, the issues that I read – reviews not so much, maybe, but I thought their content that they covered was chosen very well, and there was time put into their stories, and the tone of writing and layout was good. I thought it a quality publication.

7. GrimRita

@6 Well any magazine to have run since 1988 deserves respect and I guess that it was/is a big deal to have continued for so long. Truth is, print is almost dead.

8. ejams

Man, this magazine made up my childhood. Haven’t touched one in a few years now but there’s a glorious stack on the shelf. RIP Nintendo Power, and yes, now I’m playing with power :’)

9. xxJPRACERxx

EGM was high quality, from what I remember reading from the ’90s.