Fallout 4: Boston setting discussed by tipster – report

Monday, 20th August 2012 10:01 GMT By Dave Cook

Fallout 4 will be set in Boston, according to an alleged MIT student. He has explained that Bethesda is currently researching the Boston area.

Speaking on Reddit, the tipster explained, “The rumors are true, Fallout 4 will take place in Boston. In case you haven’t heard, Bethesda has recently been scoping out and researching Boston. They also have a strong connection to MIT. I may or may not be an MIT employee. But that’s really all I can say for fear of losing my job.”

The anonymous insider added, “Apologies for the vagueness of this post. It’s not just my job that worries me, but also getting the f**k sued out of me. Bethesda’s contracts are basically full-proof [sic] so if they were to discover who I am, or rather, who I got this information from, a few people including myself could get into a lot of trouble.”

Another Reddit user backed up his claim, “I’ve been hearing reports from people in the Boston area, where my fellow Fallout-obsessed brother lives, that Bethesda has been in the Boston area doing initial research for Fallout 4. It’s highly speculative, but the main rumors surround Bethesda’s connection to “The Institute”, or what we call the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, or M.I.T.”

Thanks OXM.

1. jacobvandy

Jeebus, man, this rumor is like two months old.

2. Telepathic.Geometry

They’d better be developing the universe’s most stable game-engine, or they can wait until their game of the year edition before getting my moneyz.

3. Dave Cook

@1 yes, but new stuff has been said about it :)

4. Edo

Makes perfect sense when I think about it.In Fallout 3 there are numerous occasions in which this “The Institute” http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/The_Institute organization is mentioned and it’s sort of part of one of the side quests in Fallout 3,and also The Commonwealth is there http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/The_Commonwealth.
    Whether it’s true or not I SERIOUSLY can’t wait for Fallout 4 :) .

5. Christopher Jack

Just started playing Fallout 3 after thoroughly enjoying & completing New Vegas several times. Couldn’t originally get into it, probably because of all the bugs & glitches I faced during my original play through.

6. Judicas

Really hope this gets made on a new engine, also pray obsidian gets to do it again, the few extra features from fallout 1/2 that obsidian added really made new vegas more enjoyable for me then fallout 3

7. Hunam

The Skyrim engine on PC now is in good shape, so having a fallout on that would be good. Although I hope this is going next gen so they can get some huge open spaces for the cities rather than having to wall them all up.

8. Maximum Payne

@7 October 2013 sounds perfect for them :D

9. DSB

Obsidian stuck to canon, Bethesda don’t.

That’s why I think Boston would be a huge mistkae. Beyond getting Obsidian on the job, I don’t think Bethesda have the right kind of talent to really fake the feel, in which case it would be better to look at Fallout 2 and go back to the Bay Area.

10. OrbitMonkey

I really hope theirs a reference to the Cheers Bar… Norm!!

11. DeyDoDoughDontDeyDough

Yep, it’s going to be set in Boston. Players will be a ble to leap around the rooftops and jump into hay and stealth kill the… oh…

“Boston. It’s the new New York.”

12. ManuOtaku

Good instead of a Big Daddy we will fight a Big Pappy.

13. TheWulf

Hrmn. No Obsidian? Worrying. That means that it’ll really be a shooty game with next to no chance to use dialogue options, much as Fallout 3 was. Or then… they might actually have learned a thing about writing and player choice, right? Since Skyrim? Yeah?

It’s possible, isn’t it? I can dream, can’t I?

Heh. Then again, ha… that might be something of a joke. It’s likely going to be Bethesda on top form. Semi-interesting to explore, but with violence as the only solution to everything, and wooden characters.

What am I thinking? Thinking that they might have hired writers. Hahaha… ha… haaaa….

Guh.

— Edit —

You know what, Beth? Here’s a challenge: Put the talking deathclaws back in. Not only that, but write them intelligently, give them their own culture, and don’t make them the pastiche they were in Fallout 2. Goris would make a good historical heroic/forefather figure, too. If you can do that and write it properly, you’ll be able to do something Obsidian never could. But this would require a great deal of imagination and writing talent.

I can dream, can’t I?

No. I probably can’t.

Sigh.

14. GwynbleiddiuM

@TheWulf I pretty much doubt that Bethesda would learn anything. I’m playing FNV again after patching it up good, this was actually the most fun I had in years with a Bethesda branded product and it’s actually made by Obsidian, the company I was so openly despised and was very critical about it.

I was really hoping that they give the project to them. It could’ve been great. The amount of dialogue choices in NV was freaking mind blowing and what you did actually had impacts on the story.

FO3, not that much. It wasn’t horrible, just like any Bethesda games, no they’re not horrible but they are mostly mediocre. FNV was great, I love it.

PS: No you can’t :D I’m sure it would at least be as good as Skyrim, not as good as FNV, no.

15. ManuOtaku

Now if bethesda give obsidian the green light to do alpha protocol 2, that will be great, i love that game, for me is a very underated and underaprreciated game.

16. Phoenixblight

Sega owns the rights to that. Bathesda is not going to pay for an IP that flopped and brings no potential revenue.