Darksiders 2 – Vigil working on PC patch to address non-existent config files

Saturday, 18th August 2012 15:27 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Darksiders 2 on PC is missing a few options which are part and parcel with most PC games, according to those who’ve picked it up. Fortunately, Vigil is aware of the issue and doing what it can to fix the option issue as well as reported glitching issues.

According to a post on the game’s forums, the PC port is missing some basic graphics options, cumbersome menus, glitching, and basically no config file.

Vigil community manager Mathew Everett took to the forums in reply, stating the team is working on the issue and are going to try and patch things in.

“During the Community Summit both Jay Fitzloff and I were under the impression that full .config files and final keyboard/mouse and controller hookups were going to work as promised when the PC version of the game launched,” wrote Everett. “That was the plan at the time from a specifications perspective.

“Unfortunately, especially at the end of the development cycle, sometimes things change at the last minute, and this was one of them. This puts us in an uncomfortable spot as we were acting on the best information we had at the time, and it has turned out not to be in the final game (at this point).

“Since it was always the intention to implement these features, as I type this, the development team is checking to see what items can get added into the game. While I can’t promise what can be done, I can promise we are working with the proper teams and have expressed the importance of including them in a patch.”

Everett said the error was “not intentional on anyone’s part,” and Vigil is doing everything it can to address the issues.

Darksiders 2 is out now in the US on PC, PS3, and Xbox 360. It launches August 21 across Europe. A Wii U version is expected around the console’s launch.

Thanks, RPS.

1. Kabby

Invoking the ire of the master race is bad for business.

2. Edo

I almost asked for a refund but I am hopelessly waiting for a patch….the game itself is massive and really great but it seems to me that they were too busy putting so much content that they forgot to make even basic things to work:
    1)Keyboard and mouse controls are atrocious,it takes forever just to bind them and after that it’s 50/50 % chance that they will work properly
    2)The only 2 graphical options are resolution and vertical sync which doesn’t work at all(had to use Direct 3D overrider).
    3)Camera angles are all over the place which is particularly annoying during the platforming sections(and believe there is a lot of those).

3. Talkar

For those using 3D Vision the Helix mod team has released a fix that greatly improves the 3D in the game! http://helixmod.blogspot.dk/2012/08/darksiders-2.html

4. Kabby

It’s about time Steam made use of it’s market position and imposed stricter quality guidelines on games hosted on their service.

5. DSB

I don’t think you can put the responsibility on a retailer.

Reviewers should be telling people about those bugs instead of covering for publishers, publishers should be allowing their developers to finish their games, and consumers accept the risk when they buy games before they’re out.

Putting the burden on someone who isn’t responsible for any of those things would be pretty obscene.

I mean I’d like Steam to blacklist any game that comes with poorly coded DRM, but ultimately they didn’t design it, and they had no bearing on whether it went in the game. All I can do is try to resist the temptation of buying it.

6. Kabby

True. But isn’t it the responsibility of the publisher to not release broken shit? If Steam wants to act as some form of digital pseudo-publisher, and be paid for doing so, then why aren’t they responsible for the quality of the goods?

Something as simple a seal of approval could work. I’m pretty sure games with a ‘Gold seal’ would allow people to pre-order with more confidence.

If your game doesn’t have a seal of approval, then your pre-sales will be lower, hence the developers will need to up their game.

I know it won’t happen but it would be nice if parties in the chain took their responsibility to the consumer more seriously.

7. DSB

I think the consumers should just start taking their purchases more seriously. Ultimately you’re responsible for what you buy. If you buy a game before it’s out, you’re accepting the risk.

I don’t see why anyone should feel sorry for someone, who buys something they don’t like, when they have full use of their senses, and every opportunity to do their research beforehand, if they choose.

I don’t see how Steam wants to act as any kind of pseudo-publisher. They give smaller developers the chance to self-publish, but they’re still just delivering the license that you ask and pay for.

They could make a gold seal to improve confidence with customers, but they’d have to spend money on a certification process like the one you have with Microsoft, and ultimately end up delaying games, and hindering post-release support in the very same way.

Considering that most preorders open long before a game goes gold, I think you’re shit outta luck with any kind of certification on those, and considering that Valve also make games, I don’t think a lot of publishers would enjoy handing over premature builds of their own.

I’d much rather have Steam working on stuff like their return policy, or offline mode, which are both anything but consumer friendly.

8. Talkar

The only problem i’ve had with the game was the 3D Vision was really bad, but after the Helix mod fixed it up i don’t have that problem anymore (obviously). So i’m completely happy with my purchase, already have more than 20 hours sunk into the game :P

9. silkvg247

I’ve got DSII on pre-order (what’s with the later EU release? sigh). I’ll probably wait for a patch before I play; the controls aren’t an issue as I’ll likely use a pad with it but the graphics need to be tweak-able.

10. noherczeg

@DSB: Reviewers tend to do their job on the almighty 360 only, maybe on PS3 if there is a version for it too. For example: Destructoid. No matter what platform on a game comes out Jim always picks XBOX.

Nobody gives a rat’s ass about the PC versions and I’m pissed off about this generally, this time it even proved that reviewers should widen their sights when it comes to platforms…

11. DSB

Yeah, that’s certainly one to ponder noherz.

Maybe one of the VG247 guys could enlighten us as to why that is.

From a PR point of view, you’d probably want to advertise the 360 version in the US, and the PS3 version in Europe.

I’m not sure how the PC metrics work in terms of continents, but the PC version tends to sell as much as either one on the consoles, so there should be an interest in advertising to the PC crowd as well.

Still, I think it’s less about platform, and more about not wanting to really critisize the games they play. A lot of reviewers tend to bring up flaws, and then dismiss them in the same sentence.

12. mathew12346

i have the PC version on darksiders 2, and reached the point where i have the fight the crab boss, Karkinos. I’m suppose to knock him over with the eggs, but nothing happens when the ball hits him.please release a patch for pc version…..

13. Edo

@9 “In other news I’m playing sleeping dogs and it has fully working graphics and key bind options. Also, it is awesome.”No,it doesn’t have fully working key bind options.