Raymond: Ubisoft’s audience “expects perfection”

Monday, 13th August 2012 17:10 GMT By Nick Akerman

Ubisoft Toronto boss Jade Raymond believes gamers expect a faultless experience, and that developers must tackle more mature themes in the future.

When asked how game development has progressed, Raymond discussed the impossibilities of pleasing all consumers.

“One of the things I see that’s different is that our audience expects perfection,” she said.

“Before, there were only, say, two million people playing games – they were real fans and they were playing every game. They were willing to forgive bugs, and try things that weren’t as much fun because they were different. Now, there are 30 million people buying and they only buy the top five. They expect perfection. I think that growing up with everything being so good, so easy to use, there are certain expectations.”

“It’s not very forgiving. It does limit innovation, because if something isn’t working as you get towards shipping, you have to cut it or revert to back what you know does work.”

Raymond, who was talking to OXM, continued by saying the industry must tackle more mature themes.

“I think we have to [embrace more mature themes]. Honestly, I think we are underestimating our audience – they’re looking for something more. I mean, just based on the people I work with, the new generation of gamers want games to be about something else than just a context for killing 500 people within ten hours.”

1. dex3108

Jade and AC3? I don’t think so :D Jade is working on Splinter Cell Blacklist

2. Nick Akerman

My bad! Fuzzy Monday brain is kicking in.

3. Nick Akerman

Hilarious how the images for SC: Blacklist and AC III are nearly exactly the same! :D

4. Klarden

They expect your game to work, more or less, your DRM to not completely screw up their plans to play your game, and hope that it’s not assassinized, like most of your games lately. If that’s the way Jade sees “perfection”, it explains a lot.

5. klewd

“I mean, just based on the people I work with, the new generation of gamers want games to be about something else than just a context for killing 500 people within ten hours”

Yet she works on Splinter Cell? She is saying one thing and doing the complete opposite. It’s not the first time she says something like this.

I love Splinter Cell, but that game has nothing to do with mature themes. She knows this.

I don’t see the point of her trying to be a spokesperson for maturity in games when she’s working on games that’s part of the problem.

6. Da Man

What were the sales of the original Ass Creed again? I think they don’t really expect anything.

7. Ireland Michael

Perfection is an unachievable goal anyway.

8. Maximum Payne

@6 10+ millions.

9. DSB

They expect something, but it ain’t perfection.

10. manamana

Talk less and innovate. Gamers will buy. Simple as that.

11. On2wheels

@3 haha yup, once they have the interface worked out, it’s cut and paste from there. Sad.

12. Da Man

#8, 10 million copies of a broken disaster.

13. OrbitMonkey

@10, Talk less and innovate, gamers will still moan. *fixed*

14. TD_Monstrous69

Perfection is an impossibly objective ideal at best. On why it is anyone would try to acheive such an ideal baffles me. Near perfection, sure. But to try and make complete perfection means that’s the end of the road, that’s the best anything could ever be, and truly, I couldn’t think of anything more that stiffles innovation more than perfection. Because it can make developers afraid to try something new, unless it’s some completely perfect idea.

15. Docker Al

They don’t expect unplayable,broken shit like Ghost Re-Con:Future Soldier.I will never buy any product from this pack of low-lifes again. Ever.Releasing garbage like this borders on the criminal.

16. Kabby

Not buying Ubisoft games is a noble objective. I’ve been doing it all my life.