Bioshock Infinite’s multiplayer modes axed — Rumour

Thursday, 9th August 2012 21:45 GMT By Jeff Dunn

Kotaku is reporting that two of the rumored multiplayer modes to be found in Irrational’s hotly-anticipated FPS Bioshock Infinite did indeed exist, but that they have since been cancelled.

The report says that two co-op modes have been axed over the course of the title’s development. The first was a tower defense-type game which would have shrunk players and put them in an “old-timey arcade machine” to fight off waves of toy-like enemies.

The second reportedly went by the name “Spec-Ops,” and was similar to the mode of the same name in the Modern Warfare series. There, players would’ve teamed up to take out baddies in levels inspired by the single-player campaign.

Irrational Games creative director Ken Levine declined to comment on the speculation, instead saying, “As I’ve always said we are experimenting with things, and only if they are good enough will we put them in the game.”

This potentially troublesome news comes just a day after learning that two key members of Bioshock Infinite’s dev team, director of product development Tim Gerritson and art director Nate Wells, parted ways with the studio within the last month.

Levine addressed the departures, saying, “In a company of 200 people you’re going to have turnover. We never like to see a guy like Nate leave because he’s been here for a long time but it’s been 13 years and I think sometimes people want to spread their wings. I’m not going to stop people. We love Nate and I think we all remain friends. After 13 years he sort of finished his work on BioShock Infinite, as you will be able to tell when you see the game again… I think Nate’s moving on to something else.”

Even still, Levine says that he is working on this next project with an “amazing” team.

“As far as the team itself, the lead artist, the art director, the creative director, the lead effects artist, the senior sound guy, the lead programer and the lead AI programmer from BioShock 1 are all on BioShock Infinite. I don’t think there’s a single senior BioShock team member that isn’t here, which I think is amazing and a testament to their commitment to the studio. And there are a ton of amazing people who weren’t on BioShock 1 that are on BioShock Infinite.”

Bioshock Infinite is still set to release on February 26, 2013 for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC. A Wii U release has also been announced, although when that will come to fruition is still unknown.

1. monkeygourmet

Just read this on Kotaku,

Looks like they’re finding it hard to pull everything together. I hope they pull it off though, it was shaping up really nicely and I’m actually glad they ditched what would have probably been shitty multiplayer elements (I still don’t know why they bother, even from a business perspective it doesn’t really work).

God knows how the Vita version is fairing!

2. DSB

I don’t see any cause for alarm there.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Levine pitched a game with multiplayer knowing full well it was gonna be axed. The guy is a fox.

I don’t think he did that, but he strikes me as one of very few publisher-employed developers, that doesn’t seem phased by corporate bullshit.

3. roadkill

@vg247 “This potentially troublesome news comes just a day after learning that two key members of Bioshock Infinite’s dev team”? Again “This potentially troublesome news”? Why do you guys have to think at the negative part of the situation first? Why are you turning into a kotaku? Those guys suck! You are also neglecting the rest of the team that’s working on the game. There’s not other way of saying this but you’re being a bit of an a**hole Jeff.

@1 monkey stop reading that s**t! Those guys are pissing on everything in this industry.

4. Ireland Michael

Troublesome? This is the best possible news we could have gotten. The game doesn’t need it.

5. monkeygourmet

Not a big fan of Kotaku in the last year, still dip in occasionally.

The game has been delayed though, and the demos were all mildly staged, so those were where I was coming from really.

Still, I’m sure it’ll be great when it in ally comes out! :)

6. Edo

@3 “you’re being a bit of an a**hole Jeff.” you mean like yourself lately?

7. KAP

Thank fuck for that. Keep multiplayer for the 12 year olds who play cod… Ffs

8. jacobvandy

Multiplayer modes cancelled, you say?

GOOD.

9. Moonwalker1982

Very good. I was waiting for this MP mode for 0,0%.

10. Moonwalker1982

But according to this

Alot more problems :(

11. OrbitMonkey

@4,7,8, Yeah who needs fresh MP experiences in the FPS market?

12. Edo

@10 Yeah,that doesn’t sound too promising,it’s like they don’t know how to finish this game…sigh.

13. monkeygourmet

Yeah that’s what I was getting at…

Looks like a difficult finish and some of the mechanics sound hard to implement…

14. Jeff Dunn

@3 Apologies if that came off poorly. I was coming at it from the perspective that they had been working on two game modes for a period of time only to see nothing come of it. Just gave off the general idea that development is not going smoothly if these kinds of things are leaking out day after day. Didn’t mean for it to be a judgment on the game itself in any way. Of course, this is still all rumor.

15. roadkill

@5 Dude Blizzard taking 1000 years to make a game = f**ked up situation/company and nobody ever says anything bad about the team or the game they are working on, irational taking 1000 years to make a game = awesome!! and yet people complain.. They shouldn’t! Look at Bioshock! How awesome was that? I loved it! And this one looks 10 times better.

@6 Well, yeah, I guess. But my replies are not usually addressed at everyone. Just at a few idiots. So I can be an a**hole.

@11 Not Bioshock fans you stupid monkey.

@14 OK. I’m sorry. But try to be a little bit more optimistic in the future. irational has a great team! And unlike many teams out there these guys keep trying to create stuff that’s new, beautiful and fun. I think they deserve our vote of confidence.

16. Edo