Next Final Fantasy XIII game to be announced at anniversary event

Wednesday, 1st August 2012 06:37 GMT By Brenna Hillier

This week’s Famitsu, via Andriasang, has a few more slim details regarding a promised announcement at a Final Fantasy 25th Anniversary event. Producer Yoshinori Kitase said Square Enix will announce a new title in the Final Fantasy XIII series. The new game, if that’s what it is, has just gone into production, and is being called “Lightning Saga” until the official title is released on September 1. Good news for fans of FFXIII-2, less so for those hoping to hear something Versus XIII.

1. KAP

I used to looooooooovelovelove square back in the day, from FF6 to F10 and everything in between.. The bouncer Tobal No.1 CrisisCore etc.. but now theyve most defo hit rock bottom.

Shame.

2. TMRNetShark

Is Square Enix rickrolling us? Like seriously… do they want us to riot against their company?

3. Erthazus

It’s FFXIII-3 – 100%

Because the ending in FFXIII-2 was “To be continued”

4. Wezzulus

Oh wow… S-E Really doesn’t understand anything do they? Final Fantasy XIII is the worst Final Fantasy out there and yet it get’s the most sequels and crap… All I can say is, Squaresoft, we miss you.

5. Moonwalker1982

Thirteen three? Well…let’s just say….pathetic. Quit it already.

6. friendlydave

I really enjoyed the previous XIII games and welcome another, although XIII-3 is pushing it, I would much rather prefer a side story based in the same universe as XIII.

7. Gnosis

Srsly, SE! Do you really wanna squeeze some goddamn happy in ending in this mess? >_>

8. Deacon

Oh lord…

Guys. Please. SE CAN NOT and WILL NOT spend their time and money churning out constant remakes of past FF’s in an attempt to appease fans. I loved those games too, but there would be some serious criticism if they made no effort to upgrade the game mechanics and systems and such.

XIII has faults. XIII-2 has faults. Every FF game ever made has faults.

Christ if you hate them so much just stop giving SE your money!

How about, instead of nonsensical posts about how XIII is the worst and anything beyond X sucks, perhaps share your opinions on what they can do to get back on track and improve the XIII franchise?

I like the multiple titles under one umbrella thing. And I definitely felt the setting and lore needed more than one game to properly flesh out. If this third title is as much of an improvement as XIII-2 was to XIII, then this is great news (for me at least!).

9. ManuOtaku

#8 I do agree, XIII-2 was a vast imrpovement over XIII, for that i think this is great news indeed, i do like they keep improving this particular series it has some potential left.

10. Erthazus

FFXIII-2 really had a lot of improvements compared to FFXIII, but at the same time they did something really wrong in the game

for example “fast respawn” killed FFXIII-2 for me, although i spent 35 hours on it and I finished it with 122 fragments.

In my opinion they need to improve roleplaying system and do something with the battle system. Battle system is fantastic in my opinion, but when you fight mobs there are too much “Press X To Win” strategy. Boss fights are awesome though.

11. Dark

Fuck Square and Fuck Final Fantasy .. i’m done.

12. Gnosis

#8 For me it was never about remakes or old games. I don’t care about turn-based combat or random encounter or other nonsence, that according to the “real fans” makes FF games “real” FF games. All I want is simply a good game. For me XIII-2 was not ruined by the combat or skill system. It was ruined by Serah and Noel. And now they’re apparently trying to get them into the next game. So, tnx, but no tnx.

I’d be perfectly fine with a completely new cast, though.

13. Erthazus

@12, i thought Noel and Serah were fine and i’m not sure about bringing Serah back.

She is well

“SPOILERS”

Dead

“SPOILERS”

14. Gnosis

#13 Well, it didn’t prevent SE from bringing back Tidus.

15. Deacon

@10 – I agree. There IS too much ‘press X to win’ going on, but then again to some extent I can remember this being similar all the way back to FFVII. If like me you spend more than a few minutes exploring side-quests or generally grinding, then it doesn’t take long for most battles to become far too easy. FFVIII had it right in that the monsters levelled with you. I’d like to see something like that return, but then I also like the option of grinding for an easier ride.

What do you mean by the ‘fast respawn’ Erth?

@12 – I don’t see how Noel and Serah are any worse than Tidus, Vaan, [insert one of the countless FF characters here].
    I actually quite like Noel as a character. He’s not perfect, but then he’s not a fucking gimp like Tidus, or a complete nobody like Vaan. Serah can be a bit meh, but again, give me an example of a good character you would rather she were more like. Or why you don’t like her.

I still think a Fran & Balthier game would be awesome! >_<

16. Phoenixblight

FFVIII had the easiest system to exploit. All you had to do was draw from a monster until you couldn’t hold any more of that magic put it at a stat then you can press attack all day. THe game is not better in mechanics than previous or current versions. FFX at least was interesting with being able to change the party members on the fly.

17. Gnosis

#15 >FFVIII had it right in that the monsters levelled with you.
    Well, not quite. They only lvled with you till lvl60 with the exception of Ultimecia’s Castle and the area, where you find Ultima Weapon. And aside from that it was better not to lvl in this game at all, but I wander from the subject…

I never said they were the worst. There are many characters in the series who are just as bad. But firstly: the fact, that there are other bad characters doesn’t make those two any better and secondly: there’re only the two of them and no one else. There is no way to avoid them, not even during the battles.
    And I hope it’s ok, that I won’t start a ranting in the comment section. In the end, it’s just my opinion of them and it’d take too long anyway.

I agree on Balthier and Fran, though.

18. freedoms_stain

@16, there was a trade-off though in that powerful magic gave the best stat boost, but was also the most useful, so by using it you were hurting yourself.

19. Phoenixblight

Didn’t use the magic I junctioned to the character. I used magic not junctioned, items and summons to get what I needed down. Vaery rarely did I ever need more than that.