Cyberpunk’s character customization is “strongly tied with the plot”

Wednesday, 1st August 2012 20:00 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Marcin Momot, community manager at CD Projekt RED, has said character customization will be strongly tied with the plot in Cyberpunk.

Speaking in a Q&A on the official website, Momot said the development is keeping the ole system from the pen and paper version of Cyberpunk in place, so that players can have fully customizable characters they can use when running around Night City.

“As opposed to the regular fantasy set-up with mages, warriors and archers, we’re going for something different,” he said. “In Cyberpunk, each character role will offer a set of special skills that will impact your stats in many different ways. That’s where the challenge kicks in, we want to create a game where character customization will be strongly tied with the plot.

“Now going from that, we believe that we can make a game where, with many different role choices, you will get a very strong, engaging story, just like it was with The Witcher.

“We definitely want to give players way more freedom with customization of the main protagonist then they had with Geralt in The Witcher series. We are planning on letting them change their statistics, equipment, implants and much more.”

More details on Cyberpunk are to be announced later this year.

1. Edo

I like this ..I like this a lot :),thanks Steph.

2. IL DUCE

Can we change the actual visual appearance of the character or is it still a default guy like Geralt?

3. YoungZer0

@2: Doesn’t sound like it. :(

4. Kabby

You will be able to make a default person at the start I imagine with more appearance alteration via real actions within the game.

I doubt CDPR are clear on what they should be doing themselves, yet.

5. Maximum Payne

How many of you actually change appearance in Mass Effect for example ?
    I always play with default look in any rpg.

6. YoungZer0

@5: I did. Customization is one of the most important aspects in a game for me. That’s why i love Skyrim so much. So many choices, and the results actually look good.

Even in Witcher 2 i modified Geralt’s face.

Having that said, i’m okay with it as long as the character i’m play looks cool.

7. roadkill

@5 It depends. I usually change the appearance of the default character so as to match my real life looks but in Mass Effect I haven’t changed anything about Shepard because he looks a lot like me.

8. revolting

@5 Conversely I never play as “default guy/girl” in any game. If it gives me customisation options, then I will use them, always, without exception. Shepard was absultely massively altered for me, and having that custom character follow you through the trilogy was a large part of the charm.

Similarly in MMOs or player-choice heavy games like Skyrim, I invariably spend an age tinkering with my character’s appearance before I’ll set foot in game with them, even if they only offer basic feature options.