“I think Desmond needs to end, at some point,” says Assassin’s Creed III lead

Friday, 20th July 2012 21:09 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Assassin’s Creed III creative lead Alex Hutchinson said yesterday during a Ubisoft press conference, that it was time the story of series protagonist Desmond Miles ended.

According to Hutchinson: “It’s more like the Twilight Zone. There’s always a guy introducing it and he’s there every episode, but each game completes its own story, ” he said via Polygon.

“Assassin’s Creed 1 was Altair’s story. Ezio has been and gone. You can engage with these historical stories individually without having to necessarily understand Desmond’s story. But yes, we eventually do have to wrap it up.

“I think what you do is you finish it. I always pitched it to the guys on this game to think of it almost like Star Trek. Each game is a season… each big number is a sub-title. We’re not changing the universe, but we’re being given the reigns to the equivalent of The Next Generation. Yes, it’s the Star Trek universe, and that has certain immutable laws and there’s a base kind of tone to it, but within that you can do whatever you want.

“I think Desmond needs to end, at some point. You know what I mean? Things that go on too long lack resonance. We’re asking people to remember seven years worth of story. Which is like saying you were in junior high and now you’re finishing college. And you need to remember what you were doing in junior high.”

Hutchinson said the only constant with Assassin’s Creed III, is Desmond, as the game itself contains a new character, story, period, mechanics – much like a new IP.

“Without Desmond, we could have called it anything else, and people would have said okay,” said Hutchinson. “It’s just we like the wrapper of being an assassin and being in this continuing war against Templars. There’s huge value in that. But [AC3] is 90% a new game.”

Assassin’s Creed III is out in the fall.

1. Joak1mV

I really like Desmonds story. I was hoping we would play as him in a city

2. freedoms_stain

Hmm, well I have only played 1, 2 and Brotherhood, and they may have tacked some shit on between 1 and Brotherhood, but the core mechanics are the same old shit that needed an overhaul after the 1st game. Boring combat, extremely shitty AI, complete lack of proper stealth mechanics and auto-parkour – definitely not “new IP” territory unless we’re talking about those “new IP’s” that just rip off an established IP and add a gimick or two, then that’d be pretty much a perfect representation of Assassin’s Creed sequels in relation to each other.

If AC didn’t have a story I wanted to see where it’s going I wouldn’t even bother picking the games up for £3.74 in Steam sales.

3. ultramega

I have to totally disagree. I thought the first one was interesting, but the execution horrid. I actually love the gameplay from Assassin’s Creed II onwards.

I agree the AI is shitty, but then again, what does one expect from a game such as this? Anything more intelligent would sort of ruin it’s two centre-piece mechanics, being the “crowd blending” and the idea of running away via parkour.

Yes, the parkour could be more involved, but I find that it works as is. It’s still an incredible amount of fun to me, with its sense of speed. I think making it manual would slow it down too much, and detract from that.

The combat is okay. I like the direction they’re taking it in with Assassin’s Creed III, namely through stringing together kills, and more importantly, no more potions/medicine to heal mid-combat. That was BS and truly made combat feel pointless more than anything, IMHO. There was no sense of danger when I could carry fifteen max-healing, instant-acting potions.

Stealth-wise, I think it works well enough. I’m not sure how else they would do it without ripping off another franchise.

All in all, though, I think the games succeed far more than they fail, and they’re some of my favourite experiences this generation. Ubisoft Montreal really impressed me by trying something new with that IP.

4. TheWulf

I agree.

I’m okay with the Assassin’s Creed games, don’t get me wrong. It’s funny, really. I’m pissed at Ubisoft over the DRM thing, and if I had a facepalm-o-meter for the bad voice-acting (especially in the Renaissance setting), I’d probably have racked up a good thousand by now, annnd I’m not the biggest fan of violence.

But it’s interesting. It at least tries to deviate a little from the same old shit. And the way they occasionally try to push buttons (such as telling the American story from the perspective of the American natives) is fascinating. I appreciate button-pushing, I like paradigm shifts.

I have to admit though, in the past games the not-Desmond characters have been tremendously dull. Maybe ACIII will give us a not-Desmond lead that we can actually like. Someone who’s deep, insightful, and clever. That would be nice.

As it is though, Desmond is still the most interesting character of the setting and his bits tend to be the most revealing, and that serves to drive the series forward quite a lot. What they need to do if they want to get rid of Desmond is actually create someone who’s as interesting as Desmond. None of the assassins yet have been.

5. majicship

I love the AC games and I enjoy the histrical aspect/perspective, but I hate Desmond – even though I know the games hang on his character, I can’t stand his parts. AC Brotehrhood was all the worse for it, therefore I am currently playing AC Revelations and enjoying that I can skip most of his parts. I think the future for the AC franchise is to simply play as an historical asassin without the need for flashbacks etc. The plots are getting way to bonkers for the casual player which is from where the future bucks will come for Ubi, but only if they can streamline and calm the story modes down etc.

6. SecondMatch3

Yeah i agree. Desmond is a terrible charater and needs to be let go. Hes in only 15 minutes of the game and he has nothing to do with Ezio, or altair. Ezio and Altair were the main charaters of their respective games…not desmond. Sure in the end ezio always does somthing to help Des but the game is about the ansester. For example ACB was about liberating rome, and the part where ezio puts the apple in the vault is just the ending. Desmond hasnt killed any templars yet. The ending of ACB for him was terrible. In ACR he was tuck in the middle of an island for the entire game. His story hasnt gone ANYWHERE. Hes such a tool also being controled by either the First civilzation or Vidic the whole series. He hasnt done anything to contribute to the assassins yet. Plus hes really whiney. What bugs me the most is the Ezio and Altair were awsome charaters. They had great stories…and why do we keep having to play as Desmond. His confusing and lame scify plot needs to seriously end. “My name is desmond miles and this is my story” or at least 5 minutes of it is.