Sections

SWTOR executive producer resigns, more lay-offs hit BioWare Austin

Tuesday, 17th July 2012 19:12 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Star Wars: The Old Republic’s executive producer Rich Vogel has told Gamasutra he is no longer with the company, as reports out of Austin, Texas state Bioware has issued a round of lay-offs today. The redundancies at BioWare Austin are part of the restructuring plan announced in May, which EA said were necessary to maintain SWTOR growth. Vogel’s departure preceded the layoffs affecting BioWare Austin today.

Latest

8 Comments

  1. roadkill

    DIE SWToR team! DIE in pain!

    #1 2 years ago
  2. mad1723

    Is anyone really surprised over this? Since launch, SWTOR has been just bleeding subscribers and now they are going fast on the path to death. Server merges, bonus to those who comeback, free-to-play till level 15, talks about free-to-play model. It shows that EA has just not listened and now the studio that developped it is paying for EA’s stubborness in believing they could be the next WoW.

    #2 2 years ago
  3. wheezal

    This may be just the tail of the layoffs they did two months ago, it might all be Wagner Act related and the leftovers are now out of time and moving out.

    i’m sure some more details will appear soon.

    #3 2 years ago
  4. NocturnalB

    Believe it or not i still play this game (though i stopped a month after launch when i hit 50, didn’t pick back up until a month ago)and enjoy it.

    Since they added all of those things #2, the game has finally become really fun to play, but i agree it all came way too late, which is why the entire population is now easily condensed onto about 8 or 9 heavily populated servers.

    I wish they had handled certain things better, swtor had the potential to be at least a 4 to 5 million subscriber game.

    Bright side: Life on those 8 or 9 heavy servers is really good.

    #4 2 years ago
  5. GrimRita

    I think he is just frustrated at the lack of vision shown by this generic mess. The game was dated the second it launched and the fact it lost 700k players in just under 4 months is enough to sound any alarm bell.

    A couple of my friends who work at Bioware Ireland have been given the boot and these appear to be a fresh round of lay offs.

    With the investor call looming I wonder how EA will juggle the drop in numbers this time? Im guessing, excluding trials, the user base has dropped to under 1 million and not really a shock, when you look at the last big update was utter shit.

    #5 2 years ago
  6. Puggy

    Oh, I am pretty sure they will find a way to nice talk it. Like saying that due to server merges the now have at least X players active on each server on minimum. Also citing that there are Y numbers of subscriptions (not saying active of course).
    Maybe they will offer another “Free week test” for some old players shortly before the Conference calls to pimp their numbers.

    The game was nice and all, but I did not have a reason to log in after hitting 50. Well, sure for Raiding times and then once a week to get some money to pay for raiding, but beside that, nothing.
    Sure, you might argue WoW and all the others don’t offer anything else and you are right. It does not offer anything else if you have played it for a long time and have all the crafting schematics, all the achievements (or at least some).
    I don’t know why, but I hardly ever had the urge to get all the Codex Entries. And running around in barren places was not fun either. The LFG tool was a step in the right direction though, no matter how much “elite social player with Guild and friend lists” say it ruins community.
    So far, I have seen as much communication in random LFG groups as I have seen in LFG groups that were build in a 1-1,5 hour attempt to tackle an instance. Err sorry I meant flashpoint.

    #6 2 years ago
  7. GrimRita

    Server mergers/transfers – call what they will to avoid PR nightmare – was the right thing to do for those dumb enough to pay for this. And you are right about dinging lvl 50. And that is the problem.

    Last week, Patcher(or some other tool) claimed that despite the Star Wars/Bioware combo, this could be the last subs based MMO because gamers didnt want sub based MMOs any more. How wrong can they be?

    I think there is value to having an open sandbox mmo. Gamers are BORED of themepark MMOs and SWTOR has proved beyond doubt. If you create a linear game that relies heavily on the development team to churn out content, no wonder people leave in their thousands.

    Others will say that ‘SWG was a failed sandbox mmo’ but it lasted longer as a paid 2 play than SWTOR ever will. SWG I feel was released at the wrong time with such a huge demand on graphics when compared to WoW, which would play on anything – that is the difference.

    PCs have changed alot since 2003 and if Bioware were brave enough and threw up a sandbox planet, their beloved metrics they glare at all the time will show it would be a popular destination.

    Either way, I cant stop laughing at SWTOR and if they want to improve it, get rid of James Ohlen and the other idiots at the top and hire someone who is brave enough to turn it around.

    #7 2 years ago
  8. Erthazus

    I said this when the game was announced that this is going to fail so hard.

    #8 2 years ago

Comments are now closed on this article.