Metal Gear Solid 4 to be patched with trophy support

Wednesday, 11th July 2012 06:30 GMT By Brenna Hillier

It’s not to late to get into one of the PlayStation 3′s first bestsellers, Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots – especially as doing so will soon add to your e-peen.

Andriasang reports a patch is on the way for the Hideo Kojima action epic, which will enable trophies.

Although no date was revealed for the update, the game will be re-released in Japan’s The Best budget line in August, so you can probably expect it around the same time. It’s just a shame the included online portion has been retired, really.

In further Metal Gear news, Kojima reportedly told Famitsu there will be a special 25th anniversary event in Tokyo on August 30. Something will be announced at the event, and while we have no solid intel, Kojima did say it has something to do with a game that connects people, a concept he has already explored through Peace Walker’s transfarring system.

1. KAP

This was the news I was waiting for… OH YES!!!

2. rrw

why do you need trophy for a movie?

3. KAP

Because its one of the better stories I’d rather sit through again, and you get trophies for it. Whats not to like?

As for the game portion of it in my opinion puts games today to shame. Plain and simple.

4. JimFear-666

4 years later…

OMG that was fast
    clap clap clap clap

5. KAP

Better late then never though right, I only ever played this once so It’ll be great to go back after so many years.

6. Ireland Michael

@3 You’re a funny comedian.

7. loveaya

This game will be ever a pain to the X360 fans.

8. GwynbleiddiuM

@8 YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! As Daniel Bryan would say.

9. aseddon130

I would play through MGS4 again if it meant trophies, it was an astonishing movie to play :p

10. Telepathic.Geometry

Yay, my e-peen is almost 10 inches. Maybe Metal Gear will give me that extra push over the cliff to satisfy the e-ladies’ e-vagines.

11. HeavyD-Love

Now here’s an interesting topic

12. Da Man

“Made it through the first cutscene”

“Made it to the heart breaking ending”

“Made it through every single cutscene without skipping anything”

Platinum: “Broke the disc and went to play Splinter Cell”

13. Hcw87

I played 2 hours and got insanely bored. Don’t understand the hype at all.

14. Joe Musashi

Sounds good.

If there’s one thing that nearly everyone misses in their rush to dismiss MGS as non-interactive is that there are such a variety of ways of achieving your goals in the game(s). No other series of games that I know of does this to the extent that MGS does.

Trophies would give people a good incentive to experiment a little more and perhaps see sides of the gameplay they didn’t even know existed.

Anyone who threw a frog in front of Volgin in MGS3 will know what I mean ;)

JM

15. Ireland Michael

@14 Unfortunately, that doesn’t change the fact that said actual gameplay only makes up about 10% of the whole experience, and the story is an utterly convoluted mess of shitty acting and shitty exposition.

16. daytripper

Nice for the fans who have wanted this update for years, I just cannot be bothered going back myself, boring game

17. Dragon246

@15,
    “the story is an utterly convoluted mess of shitty acting and shitty exposition”
    You not understanding it and it being a mess are 2 separate things. Anyone with brains should understand it.Unfortunately most people play games with mind shut.

18. Ireland Michael

@17 I understand the story completely, from the very starting moment of the lore (the formation of the Sons of Liberty in Boston in 1765) right to the closing moments of MGS4.

I could tell you the history of every character in the franchise, have experienced almost every single Easter Egg and hidden secret in almost every single game, and have finished most of them on every difficulty level. I am pretty damn familiar with its story, themes and gameplay, thank you very much.

It’s an utterly ridiculous and terrifically fun lore, but Jesus Christ, Kojima sucks when it comes to the basic storytelling. Anyone who thinks he wasn’t making 90% of this shit up as he went along is kidding themselves.

It’s some of the worst storytelling ever seen in anything full stop, and anyone with any sort of literary knowledge (I.E. anyone who has ever read a few good books) laughs it off the street. It’s utterly pretentious and completely self-obsessed with itself too.

It’s the epitome of brainless. Kojima doesn’t understand the first thing about subtlety. Every motive, every idea, *every* thematic element is spelled out to the player in excruciating detail over the span of a half dozen hours of non-gameplay. I did not need to have MGS3′s theme of the futility of patriotism and ideology slapped across my face every second cutscene to understand that that was what the story was about.

That’s the first rule of good writing Kojima fucks up.

The other (and most holy) rule of writing that Kojima has no understanding of is “Show, don’t tell”. The entire franchise is one giant less in how to fuck this most basic of writing tenants up. It’s 90% tell, 10% show. It’s nauseatingly boring and dull to have the vast majority of the game’s story told to you indirectly by other people while you stand around with your finger stuck in your ear, doing nothing.

The story should tell the message, not the characters.

Ite also the reason why the ending of MGS4 is an utterly horrid end to the franchise… not to mention the fact that it’s basically one giant deus ex machina thrown in at the last moment to neatly tie everything up.

And if ever there was a bad writing technique, it’s the deus ex machina.

So… you were saying?

19. Clupula

Michael doesn’t like it because it wasn’t made by Nintendo. Plain and simple. If it were on the Wii, he’d be singing its praises until the end of time.

20. osric90

BORING. I mean the comments. Keep them brief if you want to be read.

As for the news, GREAT. I was expecting another motivation to play this beautiful and amazing closure to a great saga again. About the news? I’m sure they’ll have something to do with Rising and maybe, just maybe Metal Gear Solid 5: Snake Begins (or whatever, about Snake in MG1 and MGS2: SS).

21. Ireland Michael

@19 Seriously? …seriously?

Holy shit, you’re actually serious.

@20 Sorry. I’ll remember to be more considerate of people’s low attention spans and ADHD in future.

22. GwynbleiddiuM

@18 I used to respect your comments whether I agreed or not, you’re dead to me now.

Seriously though, I’m long life MGS fan, and overally I was not impressed with MGS4′s story, Kojima had it cheesed up to avoid fans going berserk on his ass, regardless It still is one of the best games with actual story to tell. There are certain things that if you take them out (especially the parts that involves Meryl and ugh Johnny) that’d make this a better experience for everyone. But in no way it’s boring or dull. I played every MGS (canon) more than enough times and each time there were things that I liked and didn’t like in story but that never bored me I watch every cut-scene because I love a game that has a story to tell. MGS storytelling is in no way as interactive as you could see in something like Mass Effect but it’s a great story nonetheless.

23. YoungZer0

Naw, i’m with Michael here.

If there is one thing that needs to happen to the franchise, it’s a co-writer who watches Hideo Kojima every step of the way. The guy is just a lunatic, who tries to cram every shit into his game and please every desperate fanboy/girl he can.

The older i get, the more i dislike the series as a whole.

I mean you have the opening cinematic for MGS2, on the bridge, still one of the best cutscenes in videogame history. And then you have scenes like … oh jesus way too many scenes where he simply fucked up. I mean just erase the character Fortune and it would be a better experience.

I’m completely unable to finish Peace Walker, because i can’t bear the bullshit anymore. Why the fuck is Big Boss talking about self esteem issues on the battlefield? That’s just fucking insane!

24. Ireland Michael

@22 I’m “dead to you now” because I have a different critical opinion to your own?

Lawl.

You must be awesome at parties.

“…but it’s a great story nonetheless”

It really, really isn’t. It breaks almost every single established rule of good written ever conceived, and Jesus, Mary and Saint Joseph,, it’s soooooooooooo fuuuuuuuuucking draaaaaaaaawn oooooooooout…..

25. OrbitMonkey

^ and yet you’ve played through them all… Repeatedly… Good god man, why?!

Personally I hope they bring out a version, with little sock puppets instead of cut-scenes.

26. Ireland Michael

@25 Because I love his flair for the dramatic, the utterly insane but brilliantly choreographed cutscenes, and the ludicrous, silly and often completely nonsensical approach he often takes with gameplay.

Those elements are priceless in gaming, and we’d be a lot better off as a hobby if more games had them.

But I’m not going to call an apple an orange.

Bayonetta is probably my single favourite game this generation, but I’m not going to pretend its story is anything less that utterly throwaway nonsense.

27. GwynbleiddiuM

@24, I think it was obvious that I wasn’t being serious in there :D I even started my next sentence with “seriously though”. :D

28. absolutezero

Never underestimate one mans superiority complex.

Every Metal Gear since 3 has been rammed with content that no one ever ever sees. So much gameplay experimentation to be found its like playing Deus Ex. Crazy crazy amounts of toys which all interact amazingly togethor. I just wish that the 4th title had a few more open areas like the second mission in South America.

29. Hasg

#23
    I thought it was established that Big Boss is multiple kinds of fucked up. Fucking insane sounds about right.

#24
    You may have a point about pacing problems, plot twists for the sake of plot twists, ruined continuity and the imbalance of story:gameplay ratio but go eat a dick. You don’t sound like much fun to be around with either with that condescending attitude.

Although I won’t lie, I played Metal Gear because it was a stealth and the story was just a nice bonus but I feel Kojima has lost his way. Ironically, Kojima would probably agree with the criticisms because he didn’t want to make a sequel anyway seeing how MGS2 and 4 were subtle (irony) “fuck you”s to the fans that keep bugging him about sequels. Oh well, here’s hoping the next game will be something everybody will like (hopefully with actual stealth this time).