Pachter – next Xbox will cost $99, will be your television, internet

Tuesday, 10th July 2012 21:44 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Michael Pachter believes the next Xbox console will have a low price point and charge a monthly service fee, and the console will make having a “smart TV” rather redundant.

Speaking during Develop, and reported by IncGamers, Pachter said consoles will have to become “multiple purpose devices,” in order to survive.

“I think Microsoft’s got it right, and I think Sony will keep plugging away because they have an integrated strategy across all of their consumer electronic products,” Pachter said. “Microsoft, they have a strategy to take over the world.

“Console will have to be multiple purpose devices, though. The Xbox 720, this is my prediction, is going to be your television as well. You’ll be able to tune into television through it. You won’t need a ‘smart TV’ when you’ve got an Xbox 720, it will be your television and your internet. It’s going to be open architecture and I think it’s real trick will be that one Xbox will be able to display television to as many screens as you have in your possession.

“The next Xbox will be Windows for sure, and you’ll be able to open up multiple TV channels in different windows and you’ll use SmartGlass to shoot off different channels to how ever many screens you want. That is happening, that I’m certain of.

“I’m pretty confident that in the US Microsoft is going to partner with a cable TV provider, so I expect that the console will be priced like a smart phone. I expect you’ll be paying $99 for the console with a cable TV subscription.”

Microsoft recently started offering $99 Xbox 360 supported with a $15 monthly fee for Xbox Live as part of the package, so the idea that the new system would have a similar SKU is not far-fetched. We’re unsure about the rest though. Our Miss Cleo hat quit working ages ago.

1. Erthazus

” I expect you’ll be paying $99 for the console with a cable TV subscription.”

Bollocks. Then next gen from Microsoft will be underpowered Wii U system.

But whatever really, this is already happening.

2. Ercarret

The question is, then, what happens to all territories that are not the US. During Microsoft’s E3 press briefing they had a whole wall of partners; but I could count the number of partners that provide services here in Sweden on one hand. I don’t really mind, since it’s still up to me if I want to pay for multiplayer or not, but if Microsoft’s plan is to turn it into a mandatory subscription service then they really need to up their game outside of the US.

3. DSB

That’s actually a pretty interesting thought.

I’d be extremely surprised to see Microsoft with any kind of open infrastructure, but they aren’t tied down to media formats or any other kind of hardware beyond the 360.

Sony have to accomodate the existing platforms because they sell the existing platforms themselves.

They are bleeding money trying to sell those. If the Gaikai thing doesn’t work out, they’d probably be better off selling their whole TV/DVD/Bluray business and just focusing on media discs and the PS4/games.

4. OlderGamer

Believe it when I see it.

Covering all teritories and all services seems far fetched. If I can get a new xbox and pay less then what I currently pay for those services, i say great. But if MS/xb/espn deals are anything to go on, you will still need to pay for your cable TV, it will just be that your cable TV will also run through your xbox, kind like a game related cable box/dvr.

But all of that for 99usd? Hard to imagine. I think it could kill Sony if MS can pull it off. Unless they can acelerate Giakia and start sticking that on TVs, PC, Vita, iOS, and andriods everywhere.

Gonna be an exciting ride. Would be a sad tho, if games became so back seat to other services that the only games out there where the mega huge franchise games.

5. Moonwalker1982

I hope Pachter is wrong (like he has been alot) cause this would SUCK! I’d be paying subscription for the Xbox and when Sony comes with the PS4, i will want that one too for the Sony exclusives. Sigh….

6. Fin

Definitely the best talk at Develop today!

7. Kabby

“It’s going to be open architecture”

I stopped reading at that point because it won’t happen.

8. _LarZen_

Microsoft is using to much time and money turning a system people bought for gaming to a “do it all” machine. And almost all of the new fetures it has and that is coming is only for the US.

No wonder X360 is losing in the rest of the world…? No services and a selection of games that are wors then ever.

If this is the trend Microsoft is taking with the next gen Sony have a golden chance to be the bigest gaming system in the world (again). And they deserve it…so many good games and focus ON games is why PS3 is a system selling like butter outside the US.

9. The_Red

Even with a pre-payment / subscription plan, $99 is still way too low for any next-gen system that wants to be even 10 percent more powerful than 360, let alone the powerhouses needed to run games like Star Wars 1313 or Square’s Luminous Engine tech demo.

The only way that this might even remotely be true is by the way offering two future Xbox systems: One super cheap media center like that which will probably end up getting last gen ports of true next-gen titles (Kinda like Wii in this gen) while a more expensive one will be used for games that run on Unreal Engine 4 and other advanced games.

10. G1GAHURTZ

Yet another stupid prediction…

11. revsouly

Something would definitely have to change…

A family with spouse, kids….Smartphones, netflix, hulu, Ps3, 360, tablet, computer…

and we have to share 250GB/month (unless i pay $90/month just for internet)

I’ve had to start going back to a rental store b/c I can’t stream and download that much anymore.

No way that I could have a console that was without any optical drive…

12. Gigabomber

Again. Pachter either predicts wrongly or details things that have already happened e.g. consoles will have to become “multiple purpose devices”: groundbreaking insight.

13. Gheritt White

@ Erthazus: Whatever the next Xbox may or may not be, “underpowered” it ain’t.

But then again, Erthazus, you’re just a proper cunt who’d complain about *any* specs when they’re announced just ‘cos you don’t know how not to be a total dickhead.

14. pukem0n

actually having a smart TV is still relevant, since turning on your xbox consumes even more power and costs more and isnt “green”.

but it would be nice if you could use your xbox as a proped sat/cable receiver. would help get rid of another device in your living room

15. ManuOtaku

I hope this is not true, if this is the case, then i will get it only for their exclusives alone, this gen they where my first choice for multiplatform games, specially the ones that were better on the 360, but if this the case then i will change for the ps4 for multiplatform games as well as sony exclusives, of course add the WiiU for the nintendo games.

p.s i predict that pachter will predict that sony will go cloud, i did saw this on the tarot cards, the same thing pachter uses, but thats a secret.

16. DrDamn

smart TV is a lovely idea but doesn’t fit the current TV manufacturers business models. The average punter only buys a new main TV every 10 years maybe? So manufacturers are always bringing out frequent models with lots of versions to ensure they have something competitive when that punter decides to buy. Sustaining a good underlying operating system for all these sets and keeping them up to date is not workable. It makes more sense to have a box attached to the TV providing this functionality. It’s cheaper, more easily changed, adaptable. A TV should really just be a display.

RE:Article
    I would expect both MS and Sony to try something similar next generation. It’s the mobile phone like model. Regular buy outright versions will still be available for those who want to go that route too.