Funcom adds new server dimension to The Secret World to meet player demand

Tuesday, 10th July 2012 18:35 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Funcom has announced that in order to accommodate the increasing number of The Secret World players, it has additional dimension – a.k.a. server – known as Leviathan. The dimension will be flagged as a role-playing server, and while not yet listed as “RP”, “it will be very soon.” No matter what server you choose though, The Secret World allows you to play with any character from any other dimension and Cabals (kinship leaders) are able to recruit members from across every dimension, which can hold “tens of thousands of people playing at the same time.”

1. Se_7_eN

Anyone playing this? My roommate and I are very interested… Just a little on the edge.

2. Len

I’m v tempted as well and have had no interest in mmo’s before. Hmm…

3. silkvg247

I am, and I’m enjoying it. You need to use your head, a rare thing these days.

4. DSB

It’s cute and I really want to kick Pat Garrats ass.

But it’s also a lot like Champions Online, and it’s also right before the Steam summer sale.

So I’ll catch Funcom on the flipside.

At which point it will be Guild Wars 2 time.

Tough luck!

5. OlderGamer

I am sorry, i am just not impressed with the game at all. To be fair, I have only watched video and read about it, but nothing I have seen makes me want to play it.

As where Guild Wars 2 already has my money.

6. YoungZer0

@2: The game won’t change that. Believe me.

7. silkvg247

Reminds me of when my older brother used to poke fun at me *constantly* when I was hooked on ye olde megadrive RPG’s. Phantasy Star 2 actually. “It looks boring!” “You’re not doing anything!”. Two months later, maybe he was bored, but caught him playing it. He got utterly hooked and became a total RPG fan overnight.

The Secret World is worth a shot. Combat is nothing new, though you can effectively have two different styles at the same time which is neat (I’m rifle and blade). The fact you can buy every single skill in the game (but only equip a few at a time) is a nice touch, something to keep me busy.

The “main quest” cut scenes with NPC’s have been of a high standard so far, on par with Bioware’s efforts in ToR. In many ways I’ve found the characters to me more real, more interesing. At times amusing. I can relate to them.

But the real meat of this pie is the fact it isn’t “hold your hand” gameplay like wow. Quite the opposite. We should be embracing games like this, games that mentally stimulate us. There are puzzles to be solved, some of which involve using the in game broswer, others which may involve looking around you, or at the map, or in a telephone book. Again, it’s fun and it feels real; so you can’t help but get drawn in.

And an actual sense of achievement when you solve these quests without looking for a walkthrough. When was the last time you felt happy at solving a game challenge?

The only gripe I have so far is there are a few bugs they really need to sort out, including one quest that keeps breaking for me.

8. Len

@6 :(

9. DSB

I’ll be the last person to deny that we’re jaded as all hell, but it’s not exactly without merit silk.

A lot of us would have played the beta, I certainly did, and it just isn’t new. The place where it shines is in the settings, which are truly beautiful. The whole astral scene in the subway and the limbo between zones – Funcom have always had great artists.

But wielding two different schools in one class is really nothing new under the sun. You could be Guns and Claws or Guns and Magic (four or five different schools worth) in Champions too.

The same thing goes for the gameplay that I saw. There’s more life to it than WoW, but not more than Champions.

Which isn’t to say that it isn’t a better game than Champions, but it doesn’t look to me like a game that innovates anywhere that matters.

10. GwynbleiddiuM

@DSB, Well, eventually Pat needs to hop on the GW2 train, you can kick his arse there, and I might even help ya.

11. silkvg247

@9 Apparently most people in beta got stuck on the real brainteasers :)

Like I said, the main differece is the way some quests provoke thought, and it’s a welcome change for me personally. Also gotta give them bonus points for making actual websites to tie in with the puzzles.

12. Giskard

@silk I will never trust Funcom again after they utterly ruined Age of Conan. How dare they? :(

13. DSB

@11 That’s fair enough.

I’m not opposed to trying it if I get bored/have copious amount of cash sitting around.

I found a quest with a raven in the first place during the Templar beta. Did it stop at certain places or was I supposed to keep it in view at all times?

Because if it’s the latter, then fuck that shit :P

I guess that’s a paradox. I want my quest to be all they can be, but at the same time I don’t want to fail them, and I don’t want to spend a lot of time doing them.

14. silkvg247

@13 You just go in the direction you saw it fly in, then you’ll find more ravens, follow them, do stuff, so on :)

That wasn’t a puzzle quest as such, though it also required some thought :)

15. Gekidami

Give it two months and they’ll be trying to explain why they’re haemorrhaging players.

16. YoungZer0

@7: Just like DSB, i had the chance to play the Beta. And i wasn’t impressed at all. Quite the opposite. I never liked MMORPG’s and this game doesn’t change that. If anything it makes me sad that the developer would waste such a fantastic world on such a boring genre. Just imagine how fantastic the game would be if it would were singleplayer.

And last time i felt happy at solving a game challenge was sunday. Red Johnson Chronicle. Man that game had some insane puzzles.

17. YoungZer0

Sidenote: How come no one thought of making a Videogame based on the Hellblazer Comics?

18. absolutezero

Constantine happened.

My opinion mirrors your almost exactly, I hate thinking about how much better this would have been if they would have just spent and the time and effort into constructing a truely amazing single player experience. The story, dialouge, acting, and locations are more than strong enough to keep the full single player game ticking over. Its by far the best MMO ever made in those respects. In the actual game department its just more of the same old fucking shit.

What I’ve seen of Guild Wars 2 nothing has truely changed there either.

19. Folwart

“Man, when did we get like this? I’m guilty of it too. Judging games having not even played them. Is it because there are so many to chose from now, we can decide to judge a game by it’s cover?” “#7, silkvg247″

This is an issue these days. I need to judge games before I purchase them because I have been burned too many times. 60 bucks isn’t a lot of money, but if the product makes you feel as if you should have maybe used that 60 dollars elsewhere then it still seems like a waste.

Most games are over hyped. In some ways some of us do it to ourselves. Demo’s are often misleading, so the only real way to try a game is to make the purchase. I have more than a cover to judge the game by. I have Funcom’s history, video’s of the game and loads of other information on the net to help me make the decision.

I think if you buy a game with this information available and you don’t like it, then it’s your own damn fault. (Unless you were previously happy with one of their titles or your giving them their first chance at your wallet). Screw me once, shame on me, screw me twice, shame on you, screw me a third time, then I R STOOPID. I tend to let it stop at once.

Personally, I think we need to hold the industry to a higher standard. I’ve had more fun playing inexpensive indie games than anything else lately.

The MMO genre, imo, is the most stagnant gaming genre. Star Wars the Old Republic was almost awesome. With the budget they had on that game they still failed to capture my attention. The story was awesome, but the game got in my way. It ended up as the framework for something potentially awesome, like most games that don’t hold my attention. That’s the most disappointing aspect for me, the game being almost awesome. The problem is I’ve already played crap, decent and good games. I’m ready for the next level, but there’s nobody out there capable of bringing it.

Am I too picky? I don’t think so, I do think it’s become increasingly necessary to be more picky. I’m not going to keep buying the same old games with different textures forever. Think about it, how many MMO’s have come out with the claim that they wrote their own game engine etc, etc? How many times did it seem much different from any game of the like that came before it? Seldom. So, why did they waste their time rewriting code that’s been done before when they could have spent their time improving it and adding upon it? It’s like an industry of children floundering about playing pretend professionals.

20. viralshag

@16, Like you and some of the others here I played the Beta and wasn’t impressed with it at all. There was no way I was going to pay full price for it. And I’m someone who DOES like MMOs.

I will agree with you on your point about making it a SP game. Tbh, I wish SWTOR had been KOTOR3 too, I think that would have been money and effort much better spent.