Manhattan is your playground in The Amazing Spider-Man

Saturday, 16th June 2012 17:31 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Beenox ha released a new video for The Amazing Spider-Man in which executive producer Brent Nicholas discusses how Manhattan is literally Spidey’s playground in the action title. Watch it below, courtesy of EvilAvatar. The Amazing Spider-Man is due on practically every platform in conjunction with the film’s June release.

1. The_Deleted

Now that’s more like it. But do we have both the triggers for web swinging?

2. diego-rbb-93

So… He´s hanging off the sky, isnt he?

3. Blandock

@2 Sadly, yes. However, everything else is great.

4. majicship

Yes, forget physics, this is about having good old fashioned sandbox fun. My children will love this as they really enjoyed playing spidey on PS2.

5. Ireland Michael

Some of the stuff they’re doing here look like a good step in the right direction. Web Rush is a nice take on things.

One thing I’m apprehensive about though is the open ended swinging. Is it *entitely* based on swinging from the sky? Or does it actuslly factor in your surroundings as well? I understand why swinging from nothing is necessary in open ended areas, but if it’s nothing *but* that… eh…

6. Blandock

@5 With the Web Rush, I fail to see how the web sticking to the sky is necessary. If there is no tall building around, you just need to use Web Rush to cross the area.

7. DSB

Looks a bit like Champions Online with better production values.

8. diego-rbb-93

The thing is… I remember some parts in Spiderman 2 for PS2, where he really had to hang off in buildings. For example, if you enter in Central Park, you wont be able to hang off anything, so you just have to run and super-jump.

It was boring, but realistic. Now, it feels a bit strange… But well, everything else looks to cool.

PD: To many tricks that it seems the game its too easy having so many tools. We´ll see how the balance the difficulty.

9. Ireland Michael

@8 That’s what concerns me.

I think it’s okay to use the swinging off invisible air gimmick for areas like Central Park, but if the swinging lacks any sort of reactive connection to your surroundings in the game, this is going to be a pass for me.

Granted, they’ve definitely never topped Spider-Man 2. Proof if ever there was that extra console power tends to just get squandered on better graphics and not much else.

And that Activision is lazy. But we already knew that.

10. Takeshi

I understood people’s complaints about it a bit more when I heard someone mention how it was awesome that Spider-Man would find his way over to a point, that he would automatically swing to buildings in range.

I can also see how this would be a semi-deal-breaker since you may not be able to swing around certain areas. And could be unable to swing to a point. Maybe that’s something you adapted to in your playthrough, to simply think about it. I get that people liked that.

I might have had the same opinion some years ago, but now I can’t say I care at all. If anything this will help me have more fun.

The fact that some people are “threatening” not to play it because of this is pretty ridiculous to me. Even the concept of swinging in the middle of two buildings while going straight seems weird to me. If any normal person were jump off a building holding on to a rope that was connected to the building wall on his right he would certainly swing towards that building. Yet, Spider-Man doesn’t. Why doesn’t anyone complain about that?

Or how about the fact that you got bit by a radioactive spider and can now crawl walls? What’s up with that?

11. DGOJG

‘Spider-Man 2′ was one of my all time favourite games for PS2, I’d even say it was a better superhero game than the recent Batman games in some respect. The open world and web swinging was fantastic! I like the look of this game, very ‘Spider-man 2′ esc; the web slinging is my only concern. If they’ve got rid of the web attaching to the buildings and gone for the whole air attachment root circa ‘Spider-man: The Movie’ then it will have to be damn good mechanics for me to like it.

Differences in web slinging
    Spider-man: (skip to 2:18) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3F17A31nPM
    Spider-man 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaxvF4E8o9w

12. blackdreamhunk

why is this game in the pc section? I thought it was only coming to consoles?

13. Edo

@12 It’s coming for PC too(at a later date though).