Top end Dust 514 gear will only run you $0.24 in real money, estimates CCP

Thursday, 14th June 2012 21:48 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

CCP has said microtransactions in Dust 514 will cost you pennies. For example, a top kit for your character will run you $0.24. The reason gear will be so inexpensive, said the developers, is because players will not only need to upgrade, but when they die, they lose their gear and this can get expensive should they choose real-world currency instead of in-game monies.

Speaking with Eurogamer, the firm’s Morgan Godat said: “There’s a thing about Dust, which is every time you die, you lose your items, so we’re talking about relatively small amounts of money,” he said.

“You can buy 100 copies of this gun, you can buy 100 copies of this suit of armour. We’ve got to make sure we’re pricing things at the right level, because if you die [you lose these things]. We’re still tuning prices – the costs will change according to the feedback we get on the beta – but I believe when I calculated it last, at its most high-end – if you assume that somebody came in and had to buy, with real-world money, the best gear for a serious throw down – it was like a 24-cent thing.

“That’s assuming every piece of your equipment, including your dropsuit, was purchased with real-world money, and every time you died, it was a 24-cent cost to assemble your entire fit.”

The closed beta for Dust 514 closed beta will be accepting non-EVE and non-beta testers on or around June 29.

1. ItsFade

That’s a pretty fucked up model if there aren’t reasonable ways to earn good gear outside of buying it. For example I have 12,500 deaths in Battlefield 3 after 300 hours of playtime and if I were expected to re buy-my gear every time I died that would be a lot of money for me to cash out.

In a multiplayer shooter it’s generally expected to die quite a bit so it’s going to be interesting to see how people will react when they have something to real to lose in the game when dying.

2. xino

lol exactly!

it sounds cheap but it isn’t!
    they should just limit it to 5p!

3. Talkar

The same model is used in EVE online if i’m not mistaken. There you have corporations that sponsor a ship for you because they have billions of ISK. I don’t know if this game will have something similar to corporations though (guilds, clans whatever you wanna call it)

4. Lord Gremlin

@3 Unless best gear makes you a monster, that mows down players without same gear effortlessly.

5. KAP

I think this is great, it will hopefully change the way this type game is played instead of running around like a headless chicken popping off at anything that moves. I’d love for people to play smarter in an FPS an who knows.. Maybe this just might catch on.

6. OrbitMonkey

^ No, people just won’t play it. I play a little bit of CoD *cough* and the idea of having to buy your gear after each death? GTFO!!

Especially as your gonna be ground troop cannon fodder. Could run up to £10 a session!! Unless you earn money in-game? Is that a thing?

7. Dragon246

You CAN use in game money too. So whats the big deal. If anything, it would make people realize the importance of their lives (pun intended). And it also gives death a meaning and not just as a -1 score and 10 second re spawn break.

8. roadkill

4 is right.. as usual. I’m curious to see how console gamers will react to this gaming model. It might work with the PC crowd but the humanoids who play games on consoles are very weak minded. They might not like this approach. They might not be able to cope with their character losses.