“Capcom overworks Ono,” says health-stricken Street Fighter boss

Monday, 11th June 2012 16:27 GMT By Patrick Garratt

Street Fighter head Yoshi Ono has said his recent collapse was from over-work and that he’ll “probably get sacked” for complaining about it.

Speaking to Eurogamer, Ono said: “Capcom doesn’t allow a trade union or any sort of worker movement you see. So if I complain I will probably get sacked. You have to say it for me, OK? I want you to write: ‘Capcom overworks Ono’. That’s your headline.”

Ono collapsed at home in May and was rushed to hospital.

“I woke up and walked to the bathroom,” he explained. “When I opened the door the room was abnormally steamy. Stranger still: the steam was rising. It kept rising, up and up, and I didn’t understand what was going on. It was like I was suffocating. Then, when the steam reached my head level I passed out cold and collapsed onto the tiles.”

Doctors said Ono’s blood pressure was similar to that of a person “who had just finished running a marathon”.

Ono said that Capcom “didn’t even acknowledge that I had been in hospital” when he returned to work after a week at home.

“When I returned to my desk there was a ticket to Rome waiting for me. There’s no mercy. Everyone in the company says: ‘Ono-san we’ve been so worried about you.’ Then they hand me a timetable and it’s completely filled with things to do.”

Read the full thing through the link.

[Pic]

1. stockops3

Just like us consumers, Capcom obviously doesnt even give a shit about employees, idiots

2. Ireland Michael

And people still wonder why 90% of Capcom’s creative talent have jumped ship? Here’s your answer.

If the guy had any sense, he’d bail.

3. Ali Hayas

Sounds like Ono is leaving.

4. diego-rbb-93

3# Instead of reading the damn titular, you should read the whole article completely. Its awesome and one of the best interviews I´ve read so far in videogame´s press.

5. TMRNetShark

And here I thought I was gonna buy Dragon’s Dogma. HA

6. Ali Hayas

@4 I read this whole article. Sounds a lot like inafune’s situation. He started to speak out, months later he left. I won’t be surprised if Ono left. I am sure I am not alone. Even though I am not a fan of his work, the guy seems nice and deserves better. I wouldn’t want to see him having a heart attack or cerebral stroke and palsy just to get his games.

7. Telepathic.Geometry

That is just typical Japanese style. I was working this weekend and all this week, which will make 12 days straight, and the previous weekend, I had to work on Saturday, and the following weekend I’ll have to work on Sunday. And I have an easy job, it’s just that June is particularly busy.

In Japan, there will be bucket-loads of lip service to acknowledge that people work way too hard, but overtime often goes unpaid, and in fact many of the people I know dread promotion, as it often just means more work and responsibility with little or no increase in your salary. :-/

8. xino

they are trying to kill him man, they WANT to kill him:)

9. roadkill

Thank you Pat!

10. manamana

Very interesting interview indeed.

11. Beta

Excellent interview, I’ve already boycotted Activision products thanks to Bobby “air of fear” Kotick , Looks like Capcom may be going the same way. I remember reading this as well: http://kotaku.com/5911353/japanese-game-developer-apparently-harassed-so-much-she-attempted-suicide