Live-action Metro trailer shows harrowing world

Thursday, 24th May 2012 16:01 GMT By Alex Donaldson

THQ has unleashed its live-action trailer for Metro: Last Light, showing the game’s alarming vision of a world during a nuclear holocaust in 2013 Moscow.

Mostly live-action, the trailer offers a glimpse at the game’s visuals in a shot of a real-time city at its very close. We won’t spoil exactly how that goes down, though – you should watch it yourself.

Originally announced as Metro 2034, the game is an integral part of THQ’s more core gamer-focused line-up for the current fiscal year.

It’s due at some point in early 2013.

1. Bloodyghost

I liked it as it showed off the story side of the game and gives you kind of a prologue of the game.

Hopefully THQ doesn’t fall before this gem is released.

2. GrimRita

That was amazing. But coming 2013? Surely that is a mistake? I swore I saw the release as this August

3. Patrick Garratt

Nah. It’s Q1 ’13, I think.

4. Bloodyghost

@2 THQ delayed it, namely when they delayed Darksiders 2 and this was after their huge loss.

5. GrimRita

Bollocks. I will still get it now. I need a game for the summer now.

6. DSB

@1 Yeah, my thoughts exactly. They wouldn’t even need to fall, they might just have to cut it to survive. Metro isn’t their biggest earner.

But I would hope that they had a good enough deal if that happened, that the studio could take everything they had been working on and ship it somewhere else under a different name.

Metro is definitely worth saving, but it might not be worth taking a risk on for a company like THQ.

7. The_Red

Well made video with actually decent production values. Loved the shot of crazy man shouting “Armageddon”.

It’s sad that aside from DarkSiders 2, THQ has delayed all of their best upcoming games (this, South Park RPG and others).

8. YoungZer0

Now THAT’s how you make a proper Live-Action Trailer.

9. Patrick Garratt

Yep. Loved it. Made my hair stand up. Great stuff.

10. GrimRita

I dont think THQ are going to fall before this or CoH2 are released. If both arent a success, then things maybe different. Either way, I am behind them 100% and will purchase this and most certainly CoH 2.

That trailer is epic. Just epic. Sets the story well.

11. DSB

Honestly, I thought it was a Lada commercial.

“What are you gonna drive in the post-nuclear apocalypse?”

12. Patrick Garratt

“These cars will stand a direct impact, comrade. Soviet engineering.”

13. Edo

Speechless…almost shed a a tear.

14. Eversor

Well looks great, but these shots may represent 1980, and not 2013 :)
    Almost clear speech, nice :)
    Gotta buy this one, aswell as coh 2

15. Dimaco

@11 ROFL!!! :-)

16. Erthazus

Interesting thing that soldiers wear soviet uniform and subway station is around Moscow province for some reason, old radio’s from 1960s but at the same time there are modern cars (There is Mercedes-Benz and Lada Riva from 93s), typical blond girl.

When armageddon started it is basically our days so i have mixed feelings about this trailer. It’s great, but not like in the book. I hope this spin off will be much better then Metro 2033.

M2033 was a great singleplayer experience.

17. poketrainer

That looks pretty cool. Hopefully we get a Metro fan film like the Mass Effect movie that’s coming out in the summer

18. YoungZer0

@17: I hope not.

@16: The book barely scratched that topic, what do you mean exactly?

19. HauntaVirus

Best live action trailer I’ve seen, totally peaked my interest.

20. Johnny Cullen

Watched that whilst doing a Sega event yesterday. Good kill, that.