Sony still chasing The Binding of Isaac

Thursday, 10th May 2012 01:35 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Edmund McMillen has confirmed that Sony is still interested in The Binding of Isaac.

“Sony wants Isaac – a lot,” the designer revealed on Formspring.

“We will see what happens.”

McMillen first mentioned Sony’s interest in the game earlier this year, after it was denied a 3DS eShop launch, hinting at a possible Vita or PSN release.

The Binding of Isaac, an arcade rogue-like, tackles themes of child abuse in a grotesque and macabre atmosphere; that certainly seems right up Sony’s alley, given recent comments on its fondness for artistic, adult game experiences. It’s available now on Steam, with an expansion due at the end of the month. A Flash demo is available.

Thanks, Gematsu. [image - fanart]

1. mad1723

I love the fact that Sony is chasing games that are a bit different, with games like Flower, Datura, Journey and so on, they want to try something different with gamers and so far it seems to work good for them. They are on a good streak of original small games being sold on their platform and they should keep that trend going :)

2. Ireland Michael

Don’t understand people’s fascination ith this game.

It’s horribly coded and tasteless to boot.

3. The_Red

I don’t know about quality of its coding but tasteless to boot!? Seriously? I think you’ve missed the point and the awesomeness of this game completely.

4. marijnlems

@3 Well, at least he’s honest about it. “I don’t understand” and “I missed the point completely” are almost the same thing, after all.

For myself, I hope that the game releases on Vita so I can give the brilliant Edmund McMillen EVEN MORE OF MY MONEY.

5. Ireland Michael

@3 Don’t get me wrong. I love Super Meat Boy? I think the game is brilliantly designed and a great throwback to 2D, precision based games.

But I find nothing about The Binding of Isaac appealing. It’s art design is gross for the sake of being gross. I find it both uncomfortable to watch and play. That’s just me. Not condemning the game, just being honest about not understanding what the appeal is.

6. Lord Gremlin

The Binding of Isaac would really feel at home on PS Vita. Now that I have Golden God in steam version I’d get it on PS Vita to experience it all over again.