Chen: PS3 owners more likely to be artistic grown-ups

Tuesday, 8th May 2012 03:18 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Thatgamecompany founder Jenova Chen has said PlayStation games are better suited to a more refined palate. Unsurprisingly, Sony agrees.

“Sony has a more artistic and adult-focused taste. They care about how grown-ups feel toward their games,” Chen told Gamesbeat.

“The player who owns a PlayStation 3 is more likely to be interested in artistic games compared to Wii and Xbox 360.”

Chen’s games include Journey and Flower, just two of a number of independent PlayStation Network releases with a more intellectual or artistic cast. Sony’s Jack Buser was happy to confirm that this is a market Sony is keen to corner ahead of the competition.

“Our primary PSN audience is indeed more adult, and many of our best-selling titles appeal to this demographic,” he said.

“Many PlayStation and PSN games have themes that require a user to think and feel about a deep, immersive gameplay experience, and we see that exemplified in the success of titles like Flower, Journey, and Heavy Rain. Titles like these can only be found on PlayStation, and our users enjoy the emotional and thematic sophistication of their games, especially with our digital offerings.”

Now let’s all have a semantic-ridden argument about whether art has value to games and what adults want. Go on.

Thanks, IGN.

1. Ireland Michael

I completelt agree with the sentiment that Sony is willing to give these kind of games more attention and exposure, and this is very much a good thing… but as far as the assumption that PlayStation gamers are somehow more refined in taste goes…

Fuck off.

2. ejams

Lol, in some ways it’s true. But saying that everyone who plays PS3 is automatically more of an adult than Xbox gamers is silly…*laughs*

3. SlayerGT

@1 & 2 I would agree with both of you talking about today’s psn user base, but back when psn launched it was different. 95% of the people I met in the $600 ps3 era were level headed adults. It was nice :D back then folks would say things like “good game” and “that was fun send me a friend request, we’ll play again sometime”. If the children somehow acquired a ps3 they couldn’t afford the mics ;)

4. ejams

@3 Actually quite true. I remember those days… Met half of my friends list purely on Resident evil 5 just because it was a coop game where you actually had to work with your partner. I know it’s not all the way back, but I met some quite interesting folk. Can’t remember the last time I sent or received a friend request though… it’s been too long :/

5. Erthazus

LOL. True.

I remember my Uncharted and Red Dead Redemption session.

Gosh, i probably won’t play multiplayer on my consoles anymore. Kids, Kids, Everywhere.

6. Gekidami

^ lol Says the most childish person on the site.

7. Erthazus

@6, you mean yourself? They guy that worship Playstation?

If your butt hurts you should stop commenting. Seriously. Go better tell someone that Crysis 1 is The Same game on the PS3 in some other topic. Maybe you will feel better.

The fact is that PSN community is far from mature.

8. Gekidami

lol And this is how he reacts to just a comment, can you imagine what its like when he’s losing in a game?

Hook.
    Line.
    Sinker.

9. polygem

@1: well said.
    @3: true, but it was the same on the 360 back in the days. seriously, i cannot recall anyone saying “good game” anymore…funny you mentioned that. i forgot. wow. now i am depressed.

10. Froseidon

@2 – I agree, it is wrong to assume all, it would have been better phrased with the word “some”. That’s like saying all Wii gamers are family gamers, which is not true when looking at games like Red Steel (1, not 2) and things like Legend of Zelda, which are mainly single player, story focused games. I wouldn’t call them ‘party’ games. I believe that every console aims at all types of gamers, artistic or no. The Wii will clearly have a lot of artistic style due to the demographic it is aimed at.

@3 – That’s one of the few positive aspects of having an expensive console. Mainly, the people who have time and money would buy one, so the community must have been better at some point. I guess the price-drop may have ruined that slightly? (I’m an Xbox owner so I wouldn’t know)

As for myself, I would have said that the PS3 has some games which aim at these type of gamers but not all games are aimed at that type of gamer. At the end of the day, it was probably wrong to assume that “The player who owns a PlayStation 3 is more likely to be interested in artistic games compared to Wii and Xbox 360″ is a correct statement, it is just a matter of opinion. Every console will have people interested in artistic games, like me for example, games with new art styles and aesthetics feel fresh and new.

Sony are lucky to have a company such as this one devoted to that, but other consoles will have them too.

11. nikk900

From someone that works in a game shop I can say that usually it goes like this:
    PS3 = Older teens and adults.
    360 = Younger teens (mostly chavs) and adults (mostly geezers).
    Wii = Kids and mums.
    Obviously you get exceptions to the rule but this is in general.

12. Da Man

Yep,

When you think 360, you think kids, you think casuals playing for the lulz, you think MLG and Halo..

When you think PS3, you think Final Fantasy, MGS.. unemployed adults living with their parents, 25 years olds whose life consists of videogames, comment sections and hentai.

13. TheBlackHole

Sony does indeed fund more of these ‘arty’, ‘adult’ themed games, but very few of them make any money, which is why MS are happy to leave them all to Sony.

14. Gekidami

^ erhm…

Oh hey, another baseless claim about Sony from ‘The Black Hole’.

15. manamana

@13 reason why every gamer needs both consoles.One for Gears and one for Journey.

16. DrDamn

@2 & @10
    Not what he said though.

“The player who owns a PlayStation 3 is more likely to be interested in artistic games”

Not all. Just more likely.

Too many factors and too many variables for this sort of statement for me. Think you cam say PS3 owners are more likely to like PS3 games and that’s about it.

17. Fin

Zing!

18. SlayerGT

Personally, I grew up with playstation. I remember beining 11 faced with the decision of getting the ps1 or n64 for my 12th birthday. My console history had been; nes, genesis, 32x. Mario didn’t grab me the way it did most. I was never a fan. But Cruizin USA, this was the game that had me on the fence. I had been playing Virtual Fighter on 32x and back then to be able to play an arcade game at home was something truely awesome. And I loved Cruizin USA. If it hadn’t been for a neighbor of mine, he had this “PlayStation” but he had no games :D but he did have something to play. It was a “demo” disk that came with it. This was new to me. I remember thinking it was a “multi” game or something. Jesus just thinking about it now makes me laugh :) but on this disc was a video trailer for Twisted Metal. I was very interested. I had never seen anything like it. It had cars, a motorcycle, monster truck, semi cab, with machine guns and missiles. Looked awesome.

I remember these two games were the games that my decision was based on. My pop chimed in with a ps1 vote because Need for Speed had “Road and Track” in the name. Something he could connect with I guess. I had made my decision. It was based on knowing what i was gonna get, rather than gamble on something new. So the day my mother took me to get the n64, they were sold out :D I must of looked a little bummed because my mom suggested getting the playstation. The store had those. I remember she left me in the electronics department while she shopped. I paced and and studied. Looking at all the games in the glass case for each system. This was huge. This was going to be my machine. Up until now our game consoles had been for “the family”. After probly an hour my mother returned asking if i wanted to wait, or get the playstation. I say it was fate because i don’t regret taking the playstation home that day one bit. There were so many different types of games. And they all had an aesthetic that was a little different than anything i had seen on a cartridge. Which i was also lucky my best bud had a 64 cause later there would be many days skipped from school to 007 it up.

But Playstation is what i grew up with. That gen games grew up. It wasn’t about getting the highest score. It was about new experiences. Combating in vehicles, sneaking in to facilities, escaping a zombie infestation, driving realistic cars, killing the asshole that ran your girlfriend through with a huge sword, and the game that changed my life..GTA. And since the ps1, the library of games for the playstation consoles just seem more varied. Even today when development cost for triple A games are at their highest, Sony continues to back different experiences and in doing so, keeping themselves set apart from the other console makers.

I guess my opinion I’m trying to convey is, it’s clear to me what console I should purchase to have the experiences I desire. Personally I don’t necessarily play games for the challenge. I play for the experience and the escapism. I learned that I really enjoy variety, good visuals, and music. I don’t happen to be an adult playing psn games. I bought my ps3 because I’ve always felt the playstation platform has had more mature games. Going back to the day I got my ps1 I’ve felt this. So to me its no coincidence or surprise for someone to feel the way these guys do. I do agree its blanket, but I think if it were me, i might have said playstation has more mature games than the other console makers.

19. SlayerGT

Sorry for the long post btw. Can’t sleep you know :)

20. OlderGamer

If you want a more mature gaming comunity, game on a PC.

I would also agree that Sony invests in a wide range of unique games.

But thinking that one consoles gamers have refined tatses and are better then another? Give me a break. Consoles are the kiddie pool of gaming. And the only way you won’t take offence to that statement is if you have experienced a few things to contrast it to. Not every console player is a kid, but almost every kid plays a console. It is what it is.

21. ManuOtaku

#20 I agree OG and i dont know why some gamers find that a bad thing, i mean that every kid plays a console, hence the kiddy image of this hooby, that also means that the old people that play games have their inner kid alive and kicking, again why is that a bad thing?, i why we need to keep convincing people otherwise?.

22. SlayerGT

If I was looking for a community I would agree OG. But for me it’s all about the kinds of games I like.

23. OlderGamer

I can fully understand and respect that SlayerGT. People like what they like. But alot of consoles games are hitting PC/Steam, and with a usb xb360 pad pluged in, SF Vs Tekken, for example, plays and feels like a console game, ‘cept for the better graphics ;)

24. Da Man

I’d rather play with kids than some inadequate nut jobs, really don’t need the PC gaming sense of maturity.

25. Gekidami

A perfectly valid reason to stay away from MP games on PC forever:
    “Gosh, i probably won’t play multiplayer on my consoles anymore.”
    You wont run into that guy.

26. Da Man

Exactly!

27. OlderGamer

Would be nice if the two of you would grow up a bit and stop trolling, looking to start a fight in every thread with erth. So, you don’t like the guy. Move on.

28. OrbitMonkey

As a PS3 owner I fully endorse that statement. Now excuse me, I’m about to hit prestige rank 12 in COD.

29. Gadzooks!

If the PS3 had a decent online system and wasnt stupidly overpriced you would undoubtedly see a larger, younger market on it.

As it is, the PS3 has a reputation as being the games machine for expensive movie watching and games that dont actually require much interaction. Easy to mistake that for a ‘mature’ platform, but its really just an ‘old/waning interest’ market, bouyed up by lingering brand loyalty.

As for PC gamers being more mature? Oh that really is hilarious. Aggressive whining elitist obsessive pricks, yes. Mature? Hell no.

If you define maturity by how much whining and mudslinging goes on then Nintendo fans win hands down, no contest. There will be idiots replying to that, basing ideas of maturity on resolution and color saturation.

30. manamana

Nice essay, SlayerGT ;-)

31. TheBlackHole

@14,

Geki, at which point did you miss the word ‘MOST’ in my comment?

Are you really that defensive about your precious Sony?

32. Da Man

It would be even nicer if ‘Erth’ refrained from posting that much nonsensical babbling.

But hey.

33. Ireland Michael

@8 Calling someone “the biggest child on the site” is not “just a comment”, and he pretty much has every right to be angry and insulted by a post like that. It was intentionally inflammatory and deliberately baiting.

Grow the fuck up.

Thinking that someone is acting like a child doesn’t mean you should. We have a word for that in the English dictionary. It’s called “hypocrisy”.

34. OlderGamer

You could always chose to ignore him. By not responding to him, you remove the problem. Instead fo creating a bigger one. I know what it is like to be hounded in every thread. Its not cool.

A Quote: “When men use any means nessicary to combat an evil, they become indistinguishable from the evil they combating”

I am sure I messed it up, but the point being if you don’t like something, don’t mimic it.

If a sane man agrues with a crazy one, passer bys have a hard time figuring out which one is crazy and which is not.

And, no I am not taking sides. I am saying.

35. Da Man

Allright. I’ll do my best.

36. SlayerGT

I swear half the reason I have vg247 as my home page is to witness OG..trying to fix the internet. One troll at a time :P

37. Ireland Michael

@36 He does a pretty bang up job.

It’s amazing what a few gray hairs can do for a person. =P

38. OrbitMonkey

@29, “As it is the PS3 has the reputation amongst 360 fanbots as being shit, nah nah na nah nah!!! Halo RULEZ!!! Trololololol!!!

*fixed*

39. Da Man

On the other hand…

40. DSB

I guess it would be hard to ignore a story like that, but it honestly doesn’t deserve to be printed. There’s no relevance, or background and validation, it’s just a PS3 dev speaking to his base :P

I’d totally put it up too though, just to see the comments go above 100.

41. freedoms_stain

@29, so much ignorance.

“games that dont actually require much interaction”

Say what? What games would those be then? The fact is that the vast majority of console games are released on both PS3 and xbox, of those that are exclusive to each platform Sony provides more volume and more variety – if that includes a few games that “dont actually require much interaction” then it’s a tiny percentage of the whole rather than the majority you make it out to be. As for the rest of that paragraph, I really don’t see where it comes from. If the Playstation brand is being “buoyed” by anything then it’s the dedication to maintaining an interesting and varied exclusive lineup. I think Brand loyalty has less of an impact than you seem to believe.

On PC gamers – and this is based on? A vocal minority, nothing more nothing less. Your experience of the modern PC gaming scene is what precisely? Buy a PC and actually play with us before you spout shit like this. It makes you look like a fool to anyone who is actually involved.

How mature are you when you’re dishing out the backhanders as a triviality?

42. Gekidami

At which point are you going to show us some evidence to back up that comment? Are you really that dishonest?

I was responding to some hypocrisy myself, you cant accuse everyone who plays on consoles as being “kids”, whilst acting the way he does on this site.

43. Erthazus

“you cant accuse everyone who plays on consoles as being kid”

and i accused everyone that plays on console as being a kid? Where is that post here?
    I just described my experience and that’s it, but that does not mean there are no guys like OG or other grown up guys.

Of course there are, but only if you want to find them but the fact is (i repeat) if you are going to start playing Uncharted or any other multiplayer game on the PS3, that’s madness.

“whilst acting the way he does on this site”

44. Da Man

Haloperidol, quick!

45. Fin

See, my issue is.

“Actually you are the one that Act like a child on this site and i have every right to be angry at your insults. Grow up and stop worshiping Sony and working your ass off.”

Wow, I actually agree with (most of) that.
    Then you continue with.

“I guess Halo and Playstation, Xbox fanboys are by far much worse then kids especially on Teh internetz. True Story. Right here.”

sigh

You were so close to making a valid point without being a dick.
    Maybe next time?

46. TheBlackHole

At the end of 2010 Kaz Hirai stated that the PSN itself was not profitable, which by extension suggests that the majority of PSN games at the time were also not turning a profit, given that their profitability would allow them to pay for themselves (in terms of service costs) and allow the PSN to run at a profit.

18 months on and they’ve not given any new figures about the PSN’s sustainability or profitability, which anyone will tell you is NOT a good sign. Analysts thrive on positive numbers, so if they had any, you can bet your life they would share them.

In fact, the only rumours have been that the PSN will soon have tiered subscriptions, further indicating its need to fill a revenue gap. And, to make it worse, this is AFTER launching a subs scheme with PS+.

Oh, and before you start crying about links and proof –

I can’t find anything more recent from Sony about PSN financials. You?

47. Da Man

They just put several posts from various members together in an attempt to produce a long ass version of what’s basically ‘no u’. They even wait for someone to state something, just to paraphrase them later.

I’m yet to see one post by them which isn’t 90 percent copy paste (with added spelling/grammar/sentence structure mistakes).

It’s an artificial bot.

48. freedoms_stain

@46, isn’t that evidence rather irrelevant since it refers to PSN as a whole and not the profitability of individual titles?

That’s a rhetorical question btw, I know it’s irrelevant.

49. SlayerGT

@40 I enjoy these post because it’s interesting to see how these industry figures view the industry. Being able to comment and leave your opinion about their opinions (cause that’s what they are. None of what these gentlmen say are facts) is a way to have conversations with the gaming community. Vg247′s community. For what that’s worth anyways :P

50. Gekidami

…And this shows that ‘arty’ games sell poorly how exactly? He isnt even talking about game sales but income from the network itself via Plus subscriptions & ad revenue, notice the lack of the word ‘Store’? If anything that only shows that the network maintenance costs were higher than the network was making in 2010, but money from game sales doesnt go towards that, so you prove nothing. Also you’ve seemingly decided to leave out this part:

“However, he expects the PSN to start making money in the following fiscal year. According to the report, PSN sales nearly doubled in the closing fiscal year, reaching 36 billion yen. Looking forward three years, Hirai expects revenue to increase nearly tenfold, to 300 billion yen.”

But whatever, i guess you’re just going to assume a lack in new information specifically about PSN’s profitably is enough.

Sorry but you said arty games sold poorly, you apparently have no proof, and in fact theres evidence showing otherwise (like my link up above and for the hell of it it, Flower topped charts too: http://www.1up.com/news/flower-tops-playstation-network-sales ). You also said that MS arent interested in arty games because they dont sell? Tell that to Limbo & Fez.

51. TheBlackHole

Your links are ridiculous. Of course they’re topping the PSN chart – they sold well!? It’s like bragging about being the smartest kid in a school full of dunces. It’s all relative. Are you really trying to argue that two standout titles prove that the majority of PSN releases are profitable?

Also, are you seriously suggesting that profits from PSN store sales are not attributed to the PSN business? PS+ was not around when the service launched in 2006. And banner ads? Please.

Also “However, he expects the PSN to start making money in the following fiscal year” means fuck all if it doesn’t actually happen. Why don’t you show me some proof that it IS profitable, given that the last evidence we have is that it’s NOT.

“But whatever, i guess you’re just going to assume a lack in new information specifically about PSN’s profitably is enough” – not necessarily, but it’s more than you’ve got. I notice that you do a lot of shouting and demanding, but present little evidence yourself. Given that the last meaningful evidence available is that the PSN is not profitable, the burden of proof (according to the way you argue) is now on you to show that it’s otherwise.

52. Gekidami

Wait, so now your shifting your position from arty games not selling, to NO GAMES ON PSN BEING PROFITABLE? You are kidding, right? Third parties would refuse to release games on PSN if they never made their money back. Now your just being ridiculous and showing how much of a hater you are.

And you still havent proven your original point, that arty games dont make money. Instead you’re focusing on PSN maintenance costs from 2010. Yes a fraction of Store sales would be counted in that, but most of the money doesnt go to maintaining PSN, why would it?

Your becoming delusional, you havent proven anything, you’re just latching onto a figure that seems vaguely related to the subject.

And if you want to debunk what Hirai said, you’ll need more than just “Because i dont think it happened”, start by showing why PSN related revenue would suddenly stop increasing, seeing as it had already doubled in 2010. Not that its even related to the original claim.

53. TheBlackHole

“NO GAMES ON PSN BEING PROFITABLE”

Sorry, where did anyone say that?

54. OrbitMonkey

@53, Well to be fair the whole “smartest kid in a school full of dunces” line, doesn’t exactly sound favourable does it old boy?

55. Gekidami

Sorry, yeah, you didnt say none were, just that… The majority arent… Which is only a tiny bit less ridiculous.

56. Kuwabara

its true, xbox owners are shooter whores , american teens , while wii owners barely know what game art is. Only ps3 caters to those who love art in games, generally speaking.

57. Da Man

Looking at your posts, Kuwabara it becomes absolutely obvious.