FilePlanet shutting down after 13 years

Saturday, 5th May 2012 21:31 GMT By Dave Oshry

Gamers go-to file hosting source for over a decade will be shutting down.

According to GameFront, parent company IGN has stated that they, “Believe that the idea of a single-purpose PC download site like FilePlanet is one that, unfortunately, has passed.”

They also noted that everyone who was working at the site has been moved to other projects.

So, if you’ve been storing your old Quake mods over at FilePlanet, now might be a good time to move them.

1. Stardog

It’s been dead a long time. I think I only used it for demos and HL mods.

2. jacobvandy

Please, they were anything but the “go-to file hosting source” for a looooong time. Ever since they went batshit and started charging for subscriptions in the mid ’00s, putting every “mooching non-customer” into hour-long queues before downloading your demo or whatever at a capped 100 KB/s. It was such bullshit, and they went down the tubes because of it. Selling out to IGN didn’t do them any favors, either.

The only thing I’ll miss is the various game-specific sub-sites where mod communities had an outlet to share their stuff. Otherwise it’s GamersHell and FileFront all the way. Though to be honest, I haven’t used any such website in a long while, what with Steam providing demos and patching my games automagically.

3. Dave Oshry

@2 I was being nice ^__^

Also +1 for the use of the term “automagically”

4. Hunam

Fileplanet hasn’t updated anything for over a month or two now sadly. They had a cool mod of the day/week stuff running but on the whole they have been phased out now that patches are something games do automatically and most companies can host their own demos now. It was a great run and some good times, but that era has, for better or worse, come to a close.

5. xino

awww man that’s a shame

i used to use it back in the day when I was a PC Gamer,
    but not anymore.

i still heavily dislike pc gamers, they can go screw themselves!

6. DSB

I think there’s still a market for sites like that, but not with Fileplanets approach. Filefront and Gamershell are miles ahead. Inconveniencing you every time you need a file is not a good way to run a business.

7. Phoenixblight

I personally use dropbox but that is mostly passing files between computers as a back up instead of using a flash drive.