Steam client beta adds remote install support

Wednesday, 2nd May 2012 03:11 GMT By Brenna Hillier

The latest version of Steam allows users to manage their library of games from any web browser.

As detailed on the Steam forums, the feature is in testing as of the latest beta client update.

You’ll need to leave your Steam client running on your PC or Mac at home in order for remote management to work, but assuming you don’t mind forking out for enormous power bills you can then log into Steam through your browser and make changes.

If the import of this addition hasn’t hit you yet, you can buy games while you’re out and about, and start them installing then and there – particularly good news for anticipated new releases which don’t offer pre-loading.

1. djjoejoe

My PC is usually on anyways, there’s been times where I wasn’t home when I knew a pre-load was going to happen so even that would be nice to trigger remotely.

2. endgame

Nice! Does this also mean I can run the Steam client on 2 PCs at the same time? :)

edit: Ah.. damn it! I’ve just read the “How to..?” and it turns out I can’t. :((

3. silkvg247

The one thing that would make steam perfect would be the ability to register more than one PC as “my machine” and be able to run more than one steam on those machines. I have pain setting up my laptop and PC.. pain I say.

As well as being able to run it anywhere else if you froce the other(s) to log off, as it is now.

4. freedoms_stain

@3, I don’t think they’ll ever have that as the publishers that use Steam would not be happy with the possibility that account sharing would result.

5. silkvg247

@4 It could check your registered PC’s are in the same IP or something no? All my machines are on the same network afterall. I don’t mind such constraints being in place – it’d mean I couldn’t use my laptop at the LAN and someone couldn’t use my PC at home at the same time, which is fine, I don’t want to share my account really. But if they’re both turned on in the same house on the same network then yeah.. it’s really for setup that I’d like the ability to do both.

6. Talkar

Keep in mind that at its core Steam is just another DRM.

7. DuckOfDestiny

This means we can have spending sprees on Steam sales while at work, then when we get home we’ll be able to play the games more or less straight away :D