Maxis: SimCity a “relaunch of the franchise”, not SimCity 5

Friday, 20th April 2012 11:40 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Maxis vice-president Brett Barry has told VG247 that SimCity is a fully-loaded relaunch of the series rather than a fifth game in the franchise.

Barry was speaking to video editor Sam Clay at the EA European Showcase in London earlier this week, where the game was showcased. Behind the scenes chatter pointed to it looking ‘very hot’ at the event.

Get Sam’s chat with Barry above, where it touches upon on the game’s new GlassBox engine, politics within the game and more.

SimCity launches in 2013 for PC.

1. G1GAHURTZ

It’s a honey trap, that’s what it is!

2. Charlie Sheen

looks so sick man cant wait to n scope some people on it

3. DSB

Pretty unimpressive Origin-bait.

SimCity and “relaunch” in the same sentence says it all in my opinion. It’s a bit like making a Civilization “relaunch” – Nobody’s interested. The whole appeal of those series is that we know what to expect.

Trying to reinvent the wheel with a series like that is not a bright move. It’s a lot like how they screwed up SSX recently.

4. DarkElfa

Why does this news make me upset?

Actually DSB, A civ relaunch is interesting. Of course that’s only if they used a new engine that didn’t turn multiplay matches into a game of powernapping in between rounds during the second half.

5. DSB

@4 I’m gonna call your mom so she can slap you for me.

Fair enough I guess. The original Civ was one of the first games I ever played though, and for me it’s pretty amazing how I still recognize that old game in every iteration after that. I still see purple Babylonian chariots making little black pixel explosions on a yellow Egyptian city.

It’s the same formula, and they really haven’t done a lot to fuck it up. Civ V was ambitious and obviously something went wrong in the development, but I think we’re all better off for it in the long run.

The multiplayer wasn’t bad in Civ IV, but for Civ V it just doesn’t even feel halfway finished. They’ve promised to fix it, but I don’t get why they’d launch with a feature that was so obviously broken. Then again, that goes for a lot of other parts of the game too.

What’s puzzling to me is how they can focus on revamping so much of the game, from the combat, to something like city states, but STILL not have a sensible diplomacy system in the game. The most awesome thing would be to play Civ V as a true manipulator, or great statesman, but there’s not a lot of logic or thought in the diplomacy. And sadly that’s always been the case for Civ.

6. The_Red

And another franchise gets a new version promising “relaunch” with no numbers and subtitles. Future generations are gonna have a lot of fun searching for these games:
    You want Twisted Metal? Which one. The PS3 one or the original. Mortal Kombat? 2011 version or the arcade one. Sonic The Hedgehog? Syndicate? Tomb Raider?

7. viralshag

@6, I do agree that relaunching under the same name, while being a totally different game, is safely on the side of stupid.

But, in the case of something like Twisted Metal where I assume they have stuck somewhat to the original it’s not so bad. If someone asks if I play Civ, Gears or Tomb Raider – I would assume they are talking about the latest one.

8. The_Red

We could assume which game someone is talking about these days but imagine in 20-30 years, a lot of companies will probably do new reboots/relaunchs. Some day we’re gonna have 2-3 games with the same name. Even right now, searching for “Mortal Kombat” could mean the 1995 movie, the original arcade game or the 2011 game. Plus there is a new movie reboot in the works for “Mortal Kombat”.