Pachter concerned at lack of third-party support for Wii U

Tuesday, 17th April 2012 23:51 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Industry analyst Michael Pachter has warned that the Wii U’s success may hinge on third-party support – an area in which Nintendo has traditionally failed to triumph.

Speaking to GamesIndustry, the Wedbush Morgan analyst said the Wii U will face serious competition from upcoming consoles from Microsoft and Sony, which are rumoured to be far more powerful than Nintendo’s new offering.

“If that is right, the Wii U will have limited appeal, and ‘Xbots’ and Sony fanboys will just wait for the upgrades to their favorite systems,” he said.

“I really think the key is third party support, and from what I’m hearing, it is very light so far. Nintendo will be all right, they have a ton of cash, but I don’t think they will get to the sales levels they are accustomed to with this device. I’m most interested in third-party support, and we should get an idea of that at E3.”

Nintendo brought a third-party show reel to E3 2011, where it debuted the new console, but has gone very quiet in the interim.

Addressing rumours of the console’s $300+ price tag and modest tech specs, Pachter said they sound quite feasible.

“I think ‘same’ power level [as current gen consoles] is probably right, as it doesn’t make sense to ask third parties to do something significantly differently for the Wii U than for the 360 or PS3,” he explained.

“The price sounds right to me as well.”

Hit the link above for comments from several other analysts, largely concluding that the Wii U won’t explode in flames at launch but faces some stiff competition.

[image]

1. LOLshock94

has patcher ever said anything good about wii u?

2. manamana

As long as Capcom brings a new Monster Hunter and Monolith a Xenoblade Chronicles HD, I really don’t mind …

3. absolutezero

It’ll get the same support as the Wii and the 3DS.

None of it will matter. It will still sell well. There will be lots of hand wringing and editorial pieces which no one will read. Shovelware and good Nintendo games. Bad online.

4. xxJPRACERxx

I really hope the WiiU will flop so Nintendo will realise they were just lucky with the Wii and all that gimmick.

5. Sini

nintendo doesn’t deserve their own console, should have gone third party already, would have if it wasnt for casuals and wii i bet.

6. Clupula

@5 – I totally agree. Nintendo would be much better off as a third party developer at this point. But they have enough blind Nintendo fanboys who are willing to overlook the fact that they just release the same game over and over again. At least, during the N64 days, they had Rare to develop titles for them, but they don’t even have that. It’s just Mario/Zelda/Smash Brothers/Mario Kart over and over again and the human centipede that is the Nintendo fanbase eat it up.

7. OlderGamer

Forgive me:

“fanboys who are willing to overlook the fact that they just release the same game over and over again. …”

As opposed to CoD fans. Gears Fans. Ass Cred fans. Elder Scrolls fans. EA Sports Fans. Racer fans. Fighter fans. Shooter fans. or just general game fans?

People like what they like. At some point ya gotta stop carrying a grudge that so many people like somethings you don’t. I have been dealing with that one myself for awhile as I have gotten older.