Namco Bandai “extremely” confident in 2012 RPG lineup

Friday, 13th April 2012 10:12 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Make no qualms about it: Namco Bandai’s shooting straight for the RPG crown, with UK marketing boss Lee Kirton telling VG247 it’s “extremely” confident on the publisher’s role-playing lineup this year.

So far, within the past year, Namco’s published Dark Souls for PS3 and 360 to critical and player acclaim. This year looks set to be one of the best RPG line-ups from the publisher in its history.

Its already released Tales of the Abyss on 3DS, with Tales of Graces F coming to European PS3s at some point this year and Tales of Xillia highly-speculated for a western release as well.

Not to mention, the release next week of The Witcher II for Xbox 360 from CD Projekt and the recent announcement of Dark Souls PC, out this August. And that’s before the already stunning-looking Ni No Kuni on PS3 from Level 5 and Studio Ghibli in Q1 2013.

UK marketing boss Lee Kirton has told VG247 it’s “extremely” confident in its portfolio of RPGs for this year and next, even hinting at further “surprises” for the Tales of series.

“We have the best portfolio of RPG titles and unique style,” he said.

“Dark Souls has just been announced on PC, we are still working on the 360/PS3 title and we have the excellent ‘Tales of’ series and I hope the surprises will just keep coming.”

Kirton added next week’s release will go nicely alongside that of the infamously difficult From Software title.

“The Witcher 2 personally I think compliments Dark Souls, and it has touches of DS and Skyrim. The Witcher 2 is very unique in other areas however.

“It’s great to have such strong RPGs to work on and titles such as Ni No Kuni and Tales of prove we are top of our game on the anime RPG sector as well. Ni No Kuni is one hell of a beautiful game.”

A full interview with Kirton on The Witcher II will go live soon.

1. manamana

Keen on what they reserved for the Wii U …

2. mtnman3888

Hope they localize some more JRPG’s to go with those great WRPG’s (I’m looking at you Tales of Xillia and Innocence R)

3. Zana

“the excellent ‘Tales of’ series”? It’s the perfect definition of “average”… I’m quite excited about Ni no Kuni, though!

4. Gadzooks!

The only tales game I have played is Vesperia, and that was a superb game. Reviews and word of mouth seems to indicate the tales series is of consistently high quality.

5. heyvc

Yeah, great RPGS but only ONE this year for x360.. it’s time to bring more ‘tales of’ games for the x360 … Vesperia was the best Jrpg this generation.. with lost odyssey in my humble opinion.. And of course the Samurai Warriors/Anime crossover like Pirate Warriors and Saint seiya… :/

6. Clupula

@5 – JRPG’s don’t sell anywhere near as well on the 360 as they do the PS3. Even in America. At the beginning of this gen, the 360 had some steam going with the genre, but once Sony got its head out of its ass and started getting first the ports (In Japan, Vesperia PS3 sold more in its first two weeks than the lifetime sales of the 360 version) and then the exclusive JRPG’s, they took the genre back, as far as home consoles go.

You’re not going to see any more Japanese ones for the 360 from them. On the other hand, you get the Witcher II and the PS3 doesn’t, so be happy about that. The WRPG’s, you have a good chance of getting a lot of exclusives there. JRPG’s? Get a PS3 if you want to play more of them.

7. Clupula

Tales of Graces F, btw, makes me feel like I’m playing one of the old PS1 JRPG’s. It’s such a delightful game. I really hope they bring Xillia to the West, as well. Can’t wait for Ni No Kuni.

8. heyvc

@6 – Yeah, I guess you’re right.. if wasn’t so near next gen I would probably buy a ps3 for this.

9. Gadzooks!

I bought a PS3 for Demons Souls, pretty soon regretted buying it, sold it, never touching Sony products again.

Will pick up a WiiU for RPGs though.

10. HighWindXIX

It’s ironic because just the other day I was thinking about how Namco Bandai was really kicking ass with RPGs as of late. Keep it up! Bring Xillia out next, and bring Witcher to PS3 : )

11. Clupula

@9 – Wow, buying a WiiU for RPG’s? That’d be like buying a PS3 for First Person Shooters. Sure, it’ll have a couple, but it won’t be where the majority of them end up.

12. LOLshock94

@11 so far the wii has had some of the best rpgs in years so your comment is invalid

13. Gadzooks!

#11

You are probably right, but I made the mistake of trading my Wii for a PS3 just when good RPGs were announced so I missed Last Story, Xenoblade and a few more that I’d like to catch up on.

Plus, I really really miss my Boom Blox games. In my opinion these are some of the best local multiplayer games ever made.

14. stealth

namco has always been in the rpg forefront

15. Clupula

@13 – I mean, as I said, it’s not like the Wii doesn’t have some. There’s about five good ones, if you count the three that people had to bug the shit out of Nintendo to get released in America. But the PS3 has about 20. Even more if you count SRPG’s like Disgaea.

I can’t actually think of another JRPG announced for the Wii since Dragon Quest X. The PS3, on the other hand, has had about three announced in the last month in Japan, with a few of them already announced to be ported.

I must admit, though, to never having played Boom Blox, though. Didn’t seem like my type of game.