Wasteland 2 Kickstarter surpasses $2 million

Thursday, 5th April 2012 20:04 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

inXile’s Wasteland 2 Kickstarter has hit $2,008,284 thanks to 40,970 backers.

The extra funds ensures former Interplay and Black Isle vet Chris Avellone, currently with Obsidian, will get in on the development.

Any funds exceeding $2.1 million dollars will continue to go into development, and should the campaign hit the $2.5 million mark, “another couple of designers” could be brought in to help create more areas.

“This will not only increase the overall size and depth of the world, but it translates to more story lines and more player options as well,” wrote Brian Fargo on the Kickstarter page.

“At this funding level we would also bring more level scripters in to allow us to get levels in faster. When we get levels in faster it allows more iteration time to really hone things in. I believe that iteration time is the single most important factor towards shipping a polished and deep game.

“In addition, we will add more NPC portraits and equipment artwork as per what the fans have requested in the forums. We would also increase the music budget to allow Mark Morgan to layer in even more atmosphere. The bottom line is that this kind of budget ensures that Wasteland 2 is BIGGER than Wasteland 1.”

Fargo went on to say that while the team isn’t ready to commit to mod tools, should funding hit the$3 million mark in the next 11 days, “it would be possible to do a mod kit without cutting into the plan for the main game.” Should a mod kit be created, it won’t release until after Wasteland 2 has shipped

Meanwhile, the pre-production process has started with teams currently setting the look of the game. Oncethe look is established, tests will be run across several different technologies so the tech can be “settled on.”

And Andrée Wallin is currently wrapping up his first concept piece for the Desert Rangers.

All good news. Don’t stop supporting the project now. There’s still a bit to go.

1. LOLshock94

ewwww

2. DSB

“Polished game” and “Obsidian will get in on the development”.

Yahuh.

3. TheWulf

@2 – You’re sounding like a broken record at this point.

“Hi, I’m a games journalist and I say this Obsidian game is buggy!”
    “Hi, I’m DSB and I say this Obsidian game is buggy because wot they said.”
    “Hi, I’m DSB and I say this Obsidian game is buggy because wot they said.”
    “Hi, I’m DSB and I say this Obsidian game is buggy because wot they said.”
    “Hi, I’m DSB and I say this Obsidian game is buggy because wot they said.”
    “Hi, I’m DSB and I say this Obsidian game is buggy because wot they said.”
    “Hi, I’m DSB and I say this Obsidian game is buggy because wot they said.”
    “Hi, I’m DSB and I say this Obsidian game is buggy because wot they said.”
    “Hi, I’m DSB and I say this Obsidian game is buggy because wot they said.”
    “Hi, I’m DSB and I say this Obsidian game is buggy because wot they said.”
    “Hi, I’m DSB and I say this Obsidian game is buggy because wot they said.”
    “Hi, I’m DSB and I say this Obsidian game is buggy because wot they said.”

I mean, really. Cracked record. Let’s see how it turns out before we judge them prematurely. As much as you love to do that and all, it’s just not right to do it.

4. The_Red

They make decent games with great stories that are indeed unpolished for most of the time but here InXile is in charge. Plus with Dungeon Siege 3, they showed that they can improve. It was a million times more polished than Vegas.

EDIT: Just saw comment #3
    It’s a coordinated attack on DSB!

5. TheWulf

I mean, really. Let’s not go all “WE IZ THE COOL KIDZ AND WE ROX THE BLOCK!” with this. Please? Pre-judgement is a thing that idiots do. Let’s try and be intelligent around here, just for once.

6. Uncontested

Times like this I wish I was a billionaire and just had copious amounts of money lying around.. I’d just throw them a mil or two to see what they managed to turn out.

7. Gekidami

^ I know i’d embezzle it, i mean invest it. …In myself.

8. DSB

You’d think TheWulf would know a broken record when he saw one.

Actually Obisidan have been quite honest about how broken New Vegas was, but I’m sure you chose to simply deny that ever happened, just like the state of the game itself.

Wouldn’t want to veer off that bizarre sycophantic path, would we? It’s really working for ya ;)

@4 Looks more like a DDoS attempt. Except obviously way more clever.

9. Meta_Dragon

Yeah, because i always look forward to broken, dysfunctional games that no one took to seconds to look at and fix. Obviously Obsidian did not learn their lesson from FO:NV.

10. Gekidami

It’ll be interesting when one of these kickstarters fails to deliver, or falls into development hell or just gets canned. I’m not saying that’ll happen with this game, but i just know it’ll be the case for one of them, then people will be wondering what the hell happened to their money.

11. DSB

@10 I’d hate to be the grumpy old man waiting for those pesky kids to fail, and I don’t think crowdfunding is going to be invalidated because someone fails, but you definitely have a point.

Zomboid has quite a few problems because they haven’t managed to significantly update the game over the last year. That definitely brings out the complainers. People are going to be expecting Minecraft every time.

I didn’t pitch in on this one. Just don’t have faith in that team.

12. KrazyKraut

wow..instead of commenting something, this sites turns into a open kiddy warfare platform.

commenting a comment of a commenter, because he shitty commented some comments in the past.

13. absolutezero

IS IT SAFE DSB?

IS
    IT
    SAFE?

14. A British Nerd

Could not BE more pumped!

15. JimFear-666

sadly the larry remake kickstarter seems to struggle :(

16. Sini

naa larry been out for what 3 days? and already has almost 200k/500k

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/732317316/starlight-inceptiontm?ref=history on the other hand seems to be limping from the start

17. Phoenixblight

Its picking up steam from when it started on Tuesday it had gained only about 1k then within 2 days it had gained so much news that it has gained 7k. He will make his goal can’t wait to play the finished version of the game.

18. Ireland Michael

New Vegas was a masterpiece in the bug testing department compared to another game of there’s… Alpha Protocol.

But this guys really know how to tell some good stories, I’ll give them that. Looking forward to this.

19. back_up

2 million will be wasted

20. freedoms_stain

@19, hey piggy, where’s your regular spiel? PC gamers don’t what for what?

Oh yeah, that’s complete bollocks.

21. back_up

hey guinea pig where is u r spiel
    Oh yeah, that’s complete wasteland.

22. freedoms_stain

@21, gonna need that in English piggy, I don’t speak any pig languages.

23. back_up

yay i forgot u r guinea pig lost in wasteland
    contact Obsidian they teach all kinds of PC pigs and charge 2mn

24. freedoms_stain

@23, are you gonna complete my word puzzle or what?

“PC gamers don’t p_y for g___s”

I even made it easier for you.

25. back_up

r you gonna complete my word puzzle ?

“PC gamers are p_r_t_s

I even made it easier for you.

26. freedoms_stain

@25, and the >40 thousand (and counting) paying for Wasteland 2 in advance? 30 million Steam subscribers (and counting) come on kid, even the most moronic of the moronic can see the world in more than a binary system.

Victory, mine.

27. back_up

40 thousand preorder sales only lol
    even crytek was feed with PC(steam) that’s why they move to console
    steam users wait for the lowest price and buy the game lol
    that’s why PC has no big budget exclusive

subscribers means nothing it’s free can one can make account

28. freedoms_stain

@27, nevermind bro. Clearly logic truly separates man from beast, and Pat will be working on your perma-ban soon enough.

So so-long piggy.

29. back_up

nevermind bro. Clearly logic truly separates man from beast, and mat,pat ,sat will be working on your perma-ban soon enough.

So loooooooong guinea piggy.