Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut “clarifies ending,” out summer

Thursday, 5th April 2012 14:17 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

BioWare has announced Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut, a free DLC pack expanding the events at the end of the game.

Through additional cinematic sequences and epilogue scenes, Extended Cut will give fans “seeking further clarity to the ending of Mass Effect 3″ deeper insights into how their personal journey “concludes.”

With Extended Cut, we think we have struck a good balance in delivering the answers players are looking for while maintaining the team’s artistic vision for the end of this story arc in the Mass Effect universe.

The announcement of the content has been expected, as last month,  BioWare co-founder Ray Muzyka issued an open letter to the community stating that news on more DLC would “arrive next month.”

He said the team was hard at work on “a number of game content initiatives” which would “help answer questions, and provide more “clarity for those seeking further closure to their journey.”

“We are all incredibly proud of Mass Effect 3 and the work done by Casey Hudson and team,”Muzyka said today in the press release.“Since launch, we have had time to listen to the feedback from our most passionate fans and we are responding.

“With the Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut we think we have struck a good balance in delivering the answers players are looking for while maintaining the team’s artistic vision for the end of this story arc in the Mass Effect universe.”

Since the release of Mass Effect 3, the fan base has been extremely loud over what it felt were plot holes in the ending of the game, and many started petitioning Bioware to change the ending and even going as far as to file and FTC complaint.

When said backlash reached a fevered pitch, executive producer Casey Hudson told fans their concerns were“valid, and promised that BioWare was listening – and today it appears they were.

“We have reprioritized our post-launch development efforts to provide the fans who want more closure with even more context and clarity to the ending of the game,” executive producer Casey Hudson said today, promising the DLC was created in a way that “will feel more personalized for each player,”

Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut will be available for download this summer on Xbox 360, PS3 and PC for free.

1. The_Red

Seriously? Expanded ending via a DLC pack? Now devs are charging extra for proper endings!?

2. Mike

@1: 1) Devs don’t charge, publishers do. 2) It’s free.

3. mrdoctor

“for free.”

Better late than never I guess… but I’m sure some so-called “fans” will have the guts to complain, again!

4. mightyhokie

The only problem I have is that they changed the ending because some assholes got a hold of the script and didn’t like it. They should have said ‘if you read it then its spoiled and screw you’ and kept the REAL ending their for all of us who didn’t spoil the games for themselves. If you wanted to read the script and learn the ending before the game came out then you got what you deserved.

and @1, i wouldn’t assume that it will be pay DLC. In Mass Effect 2 they had a LOT of free DLC that you got through the main menu. They might charge for it, but they might not. I hope not. Still…I’ll probably get it.

It just sucks that they changed the endings to cater to the feedback of people who spoiled it for themselves.

5. LOLshock94

the way mass effects fans have been going on recently i hope the ending is shepard sucking on a reapers cock while fisting vega up his arse while vega is puking on shepards face.

6. Mike

You don’t have to assume, you just have to read. It’s free. Read the last two words of the article.

7. Mlarsen

Wow.. Am i really the only one who enjoyed the ending? – though i would have enjoyed to see more of the aftermath to my decision, i really think they nailed the ending to the trilogy.

Nevertheless, i can’t wait to see the epilogue.

8. KAP

A select number of guys like to get “pee’d” on, doesnt make it right.
    I for one am glad they addressed this issue and with a “free” DLC bonus.
    I approve Bioware. Good call.

9. Noodlemanny

@Mlarsen
    I though the ending was good.
    No there wasn’t alot of clarity and everything you’d done before did seem slightly pointless but I still don’t know why everyone getting so crazed about it.

10. Froseidon

@1 – Idiot.

11. Colin Gallacher

@7 Nope. I really enjoyed the ending. It just required a little more attention to the smaller details than people realised.

12. daytripper

Did not enjoy the ending much, this is great news.

Sadly the moaning on social networks now has turned to the fact you have to download the ending. Getting bored of people moaning about everything, nothing is ever good enough.

13. m2stech

I’m guessing they had this into making or had it cut from the main game just to sell it separately but because of the massive amounts of complains they’re now providing it for free!

14. jony_dols

I liked the general concepts of ME3′s ending, but it was very poorly executed & was full of plotholes. It’s good to see that the DLC will be free, and it’s definitely something to look forward to!

15. YoungZer0

@7: What exactly did they nail with the ending?

@11: Like what for example? Care to clarify some of the plot-holes?

16. The_Red

@2 and @10
    I deserved that :) My bad. I didn’t read the full article. Read a few words and then…
    Anyway. This still sucks but at least the DLC is free.

17. YoungZer0

@16: I wouldn’t say it sucks at all. They actually listened to their fans. That’s a good thing.

18. Colin Gallacher

@15/17 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ythY_GkEBck

I suppose it both ‘sucks’ and doesn’t. It’s nice that they are listening to the fans, but at the opposite end of the spectrum its a bit disappointing that they just gave in to the pressure from some fans, undermining the work of the BioWare team.

19. DSB

“If you have to explain it, it’s not a joke”

I haven’t played it, but I think that’s also true for other kinds of writing.

20. Gekidami

I wish as many people complained about the endings of Lost & Battlestar Galactica, at least Mass Effect 3 doesnt feature ‘Purgatory’, and i doubt anything is explained away with “God did it”.

21. The_Red

@17 It’s different than a normal dev listening to its fans. They shipped a game with an ending that angered many fans and caused them to go to such extremes… Also, only after such crazy actions and petitions they are doing this.

If they really wanted to “listen to fans”, they could have revealed this DLC a lot sooner. This is more like succumbing under pressure. That along with very fact that the trilogy had an unsatisfying in need of separate elaboration sucks IMO.

@18 Saw your comment a bit late but mostly agree.

22. YoungZer0

@18: I’m sorry, but Bioware already stated that the Indoctrination theory is bullshit.

What you see is what you get. If Bioware would’ve put in more work and didn’t deliver such a half-done ending, there wouldn’t be any need for a proper ending. They tried to act all stupid, but they knew deep-down that the ending was just some half-assed bullshit. You don’t just pull a Lost and expect to get away with it.

23. YoungZer0

@20: Did you finish ME3? Because … yeah, that’s kind of what they did. Also Purgatory was featured in ME2. 8)

@21: Think about it, if they wouldn’t have put up a fight, people would think they can demand anything from them, as long as the outcry is loud enough.

Not every dev can be as awesome as CD Projekt Red.

24. Colin Gallacher

@22 Did they? Could you show me?

25. Edo

As expected,can’t wait to see how will people react to these new endings.

26. Phoenixblight

“They shipped a game with an ending that angered many fans ”
    No matter what people were going to be mad because the series was over with.

This is exactly what Ray had said content that clarifies the ending. You still get the same ending the differences is probably more cutscenes and more game play to further push the same ending. This is good because the people demanding a new ending aren’t getting what they want. Just because you complain loud enough shouldn’t mean you get what you want, that’s a 2 year old’s logic.

27. The_Red

That’s one way to think about it but I believe they should have put more thought into the ending shipped with the game. If it’s rushed or incomplete should instantly try to fix the problem and if it’s what you always wanted and believed in, then stand by it. Right now the whole thing feels like they messed up and are now bending under pressure (Peer pressure?).

Still, we can both agree with the part about CD Projeckt Red :)

28. YoungZer0

@24: Grr, can’t find the link right now. But ask yourself this: If the indoctrination theory really was the real ending, wouldn’t Bioware confirm it? Why not give a huge hint, or a revelation at the end?

To me this theory just shows that people enjoy lying to themselves.

29. Deacon

@18 I hate that they gave in so easily. I’m not saying devs shouldn’t listen to fans, but there has to be a line. Everyone knows you can’t please all the people all the time, and I would have respected them a LOT more if they’d had the courage to stand by their original ending and not fold to the cries of vocal gamers.

There are plenty of things in this world I don’t like. Plenty of times where I’ve thought I’m getting one thing and I end up getting something else. If someone sold me a car under the pretence it was sound, and then the brakes didn’t work and as a result my Nan was thrown through the windshield out onto the road ahead, I would have every right to complain.

Being able to return a videogame, or raising petitions because you don’t like or feel let down by the ENDING TO A VIDEOGAME, is, imo, retarded. FULL retard. And you should never go full retard.

30. Stephany Nunneley

@20 Don’t EVEN get me started on that load of batcrap. I was mad for weeks over both of those.

31. Mlarsen

@8 – Don’t get me wrong, i’m really glad they are expanding the ending, as i also think it was short, but enjoyed it nevertheless. Sadly i feel the story with Shepard has been too short, but that’s probably because i still haven’t had the chance to play the first game on my PS3.

@9 – I agree, looking back the ending didn’t really seem to be caused by any of the decisions in the game. Without going into spoilers, i agree with you!

@15 – Without going into details, the ending for me was pretty much a “Aha, that makes sense” experience, but as stated above, i agree with @9, the ending seemed inevitable. Considering it beeing the end of the trilogy, i would have liked the ending to be more “Heavy Rainish”, with all of the variables from the previous games playing a part to determine the ending and fate of mankind. (+ other species!) ;)

32. YoungZer0

@15: Please do go into the details, What made sense about the ending? Because there is a lot that didn’t make any sense.

33. Marx n Engels

The Arrival helped to explain plot elements from Mass Effect 2 which did not directly impact the Collector story line. The clarifications which this extended cut may bring may be similar – explain bits of the story which, had they been shown during the original cut, would have been clunky. Perhaps.

34. Deacon

Is an ambiguous ending really that much of a crime?

35. OrbitMonkey

Quantum Leap had an ending that burned my biscuits. Training to be a angel!? FFS :-(

36. Froseidon

@16 – Someone on the internet that admits they’re wrong? Bloody hell, the apocalypse in nigh.

37. abbe

Everyone that haven’t seen the Mass Effect Ending’s (the plural is a joke…), should watch this youtube clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPelM2hwhJA

Its extremely spoiler free because you wont see the conversations before which leads to the three choices which lead to these endings.

38. DarkElfa

I think the wording makes me sad.

“…the team’s artistic vision…”

I guess so much for this being a planned thing all along with the original ending being that indoctrination setup. :/

39. Phoenixblight

“Are there going to be more/different endings or ending DLCs in the future?

**No. BioWare strongly believes in the team’s artistic vision for the end of this arc of the Mass Effect franchise. The extended cut DLC will expand on the existing endings, but no further ending DLC is planned.”

Ah yeah I said they wouldn’t be creating a new ending for the people with their petitions, cupcake fundraisers and forum bombing.

40. Ryzilient

So essentially, we’re being given what we want, but also not being given what we want.

Well, as long as I get a scene with a mourning Kaidan I’m happy.

41. LOLshock92

@21 I’m not sure where you got the idea that art is sacrosanct and cannot/should not be altered by audience feedback. Throughout history, works of art have been critiqued, criticized, and altered by the original artists to better meet the sensibilities of the prospective audiences. Sometimes the feedback is requested…other times it is thrust on the artist unbidden by the folks receiving the experience.

42. TheWulf

So they stuck by their ending.

Good for them. This isn’t them bending over and giving people that shiny new ending with ice cream and squirrels that they wanted, this is just post game content. And to be honest? I wouldn’t be surprised if they planned this all along. Even the end of the game hints at more to come.

So this could have all been very finely scripted. It’ll be interesting to see how they follow it up. And really, I have no issues with how the game ended. I’m just glad that they didn’t roll over and acquiesce to a loud minority like some other developers have.

To be honest, this gives me more respect for Bioware than what I had previously. It means that they have creative vision, rather than just bending over to populist demand. That says something.

43. YoungZer0

“This isn’t them bending over and giving people that shiny new ending with ice cream and squirrels that they wanted”

Way to miss what this whole discussion was all about …

44. Giskard

I for one enjoyed the ending, and while I see why people might not have, I think the entire protest is bullshit.

It was their story to tell. I’d stick to it.

45. Meta_Dragon

Wow, really? People still won’t get over the ending to this game? Jesus, let it go people. It’s how BioWare wanted to end THEIR game. Deal with it.

46. KrazyKraut

I am just finished ME2 and played the last days ME3 MP.
    After I read some spoilerfree post about the endings, I heared there are a lot of different endings.

Even if I have, full galactic readiness + EMS and get the best (most positive) ending + playing the “ashes” DLC (yay…got the CE)…will I get no satisfaction? Not all answers? Is this right or worng?

A spoiler free answer..if this is possible, please.

47. Giskard

@46 You will get all the answers. Some just don’t like them, more or less.

You’ll get to know what happened to the Reapers, but not the exact future of your companions. I liked it. Left a lot to the imagination.

48. shogoz

I’m not going to download the extended ending. If people can’t enjoy whats delivered then they can make their own fucking games/movies/music or any kind of artistic medium. I didn’t see what was wrong with the ending and I enjoyed all 3 games. You can complain about something but most of the arguments made in the petition were so dramatic that I can only assume children with clip on pubic hair didn’t get what they wanted. spoilt brats.

49. Henry

@46 Depends.

Some major problems of the current endings (including the best ending) are:

1. Tons of plot inconsistencies with the whole ME series.
    If you are not familiar with the whole ME story, you might not notice.
    But once you notice, you will find it unbelievable that Bioware would make these mistakes.

2. Lack of differences in the endings.
    All endings are 90% the same.
    And none of them are based on your choices throughout the game, not to mention throughout the whole series.

3. Shepard’s will is bent.
    What Shepard did at the end contradicts with what Shepard has been saying, doing, believing all along. But this problem is rather subjective, some say they don’t think so.

50. KrazyKraut

Okay, that are all good answers. Thanks folks.
    I am familiar with the ME Universe, so I am afraid what could surprise me xD