Thatgamecompany’s Robin Hunicke joins Tiny Speck

Thursday, 29th March 2012 22:37 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Journey producer Robin Hunicke has announced her departure from thatgamecompany, the developer’s second high profile departure today.

Hunicke will join Tiny Speck, the team behind unusual MMO Glitch; she was attracted to the developer after a visit to its Vancouver office.

“It would take quite a long time to tell you all about the delightful people who I met that day. And even longer to explain all our wonderful conversations we had about Glitch and what it means to them,” she wrote on her blog.

“But let it be known that they charmed me completely.

“When they told me they had an office in San Francisco, where folks were joining up to imagine new fun for Glitch, well, I must admit I swooned.”

Hunicke joined thatgamecompany to work on Journey, and became the public face of the game’s development; previously, she worked at EA.

According to Tiny Speck, Hunicke will be “providing leadership in game design” in her new role, and has been reunited with former EA maxis colleague Justin Quimby.

This isn’t the first time Hunicke’s name has been linked with Tiny Speck; she was instrumental in bringing Katamari creator Kaita Takahashi onboard.

Hunicke is the most recent in a series of departures from thatgamecompany in the wake of Journey’s release; co-founder Kellee Santiago packed her bags today, and two less prominent staffers have launched their own studio, The Wilderness.

Thatgamecompany’s works to date are flOw, Flower, and Journey, all published under a three-game deal during which the developer was “fostered” by veteran Sony studios. Journey has become the fastest-selling PlayStation Network release to date.

[image]

1. Brenna Hillier

There’s always turn over at the end of a project, and given how well thatgamecompany’s games have done I’m sure all their staff are being actively headhunted – so don’t read too much into this spate of departures just yet.

2. barchetta

Not sure how many thatgamecompany’s staff number, but on the face of it these are large profile moves for a company that really found it’s target this time round.

Good luck to all – I was certainly struck by Robin Hunicke’s enthusiasm in her GameCity presentation last autumn. Admittedly, as the ‘face’ of Journey, that was her role but she did it very well.

And having seen Keita Takahashi’s keynote and follow up visits at previous GameCity events, I’d imagine they’d get on well in looking for new gaming ground.

Here’s hoping tgc keep on keeping on too. My favourite devs on PS3.

3. freedoms_stain

Personally I think fluidity of staffing is GOOD for the games industry.

The notion that several dozen people will all be able to pull creatively in the same direction over the course of multiple projects and maintain quality simply seems unlikely to me, therefore it would seem like a better idea (at least to me) for developers to flow between projects that truly interest them rather than maintain employment at a single studio where their efforts are perhaps channelled into works they aren’t as invested in “body and soul” as it were.

4. LOLshock94

5/10 needs more fake tan

5. TD_Monstrous69

I wish her well at Tiny Speck, as well as hope thatgamecompany can still make high quality games in light of losing two key figures.

6. mathare92

So of the triumvirate, only Jenova remains.

7. The_Red

@1 Thanks for the reassuring words but still, these are too major members. At the very least, TGC has 2 less talented people. Hopefully other talents can keep making great games.